All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th August 2011, 06:20 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

I have McCarty's book The Fearmakers.

Found it quite bland really. Not bad for people getting into horror, it was one of the first i owned but there are many better written books out there.

Look on my user page i have listed some good ones in an album.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 51cEBWp3h2L__SL500_AA300_.jpg (18.4 KB, 3 views)
Old 26th August 2011, 06:30 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I've ordered the one Amazon list as a hardback because, according to the ISBN search at The Book Depository, it's paperback and, as they were both published in October 2000, I figure they are the same book only one was hardback and one it's paperback.. Time will tell which is which when the postman delivers it!
Old 1st September 2011, 11:42 AM
Cult Acolyte

Location: From the bowels of Newcastle Upon Tyne he came....to collect DVDs and BRs!
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr 420 View Post
Did you ever read his interview with Xtro director Harry Bromley Davenport in The Dark Side? One of the funniest things I have ever read.
I seem to recall the above director describing Jan Michael Vincent as "One of the great drunks of our time!" in the relevant article and we could certainly do with more brutally honest interview subjects such as Davenport. No sickening Hollywood-style back-pattin' or butt-kissin' with this guy, no sir!
Old 1st September 2011, 11:46 AM
Cult Acolyte

Location: From the bowels of Newcastle Upon Tyne he came....to collect DVDs and BRs!
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
I have McCarty's book The Fearmakers. Not bad for people getting into horror.
I suppose you could say the same for both volumes of McCarty's The Official Splatter Movie Guide. Dated and enjoyable but more for those viewers first dipping their toes into the horror film pool.
Old 1st September 2011, 04:49 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splatterdragon73 View Post
I suppose you could say the same for both volumes of McCarty's The Official Splatter Movie Guide. Dated and enjoyable but more for those viewers first dipping their toes into the horror film pool.
Which is exactly what I was doing when I first read his Modern Horror Films book, I only purchased it recently for a bit of nostalgia, I found out about many great films from this book and looking at it now brings back lots of fond memories

The boat can leave now, tell the crew
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 1st September 2011, 07:47 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Has anybody read or own any of the Pocket Essentials series of books? The ones on Romero, Hammer, Slasher and Vampire films are going for a few quid on eBay at the minute, just wondered if they are worth a shot or not

Violence is Italian Art
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 1st September 2011, 08:14 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I have the ones on Roger Corman and Vietnam war movies and, though they are occasionally factually incorrect, they are a good read with plenty of facts you probably don't know.
Old 1st September 2011, 08:27 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Might have to get the Romero one then, although I very much doubt it will tell me anything I don't already know seeing as I have this great book on the manImageUploadedByTapatalk1314908867.538869.jpg

Violence is Italian Art
Old 10th September 2011, 07:38 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Just thought I'd share my collection of film books with you guys Cult Labs - Rik's Album: My Horror Film Book Collection
Old 11th September 2011, 08:57 PM
Cult Acolyte

Cool

These two are great fun, mid to late 80s horror/cult movie guides. Slimetime is a collection of reviews with a real New York kinda feel, and Gorezone is a small almost pocket sized personal view of the 80s horror wave. Kinda outdated now but both recommended for fans of that era.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg slimetime.jpeg (46.3 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg user101765_pic7473_1271049099.jpg (66.7 KB, 2 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!