Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Books, Magazines & Comics
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree267Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th November 2013, 03:08 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Stephen King is my favourite author. So far I've read Carrie, The Dead Zone, Dance Macabre, Firestarter, Cujo, Pet Cemetery, It, Misery, Rage, The Long Walk, The Running Man, Different Seasons and Full Dark, No Stars.

I own all of them bar The Dead Zone and Danse Macabre. The others I own but have not yet read include 11/22/63, Blockade Billy, Under The Dome, Needful Things, Desperation, Four Past Midnight, Everything's Eventual, Christine and The Shining (I've tried... Many times. But I just can't get into it).

Misery is the best book of all time, at least to me. In fact, I've read it MANY more times than Annie Wilkes said she read Paul Sheldons "Misery" books... Guess that makes me even crazier than her then But whenever I have nothing to read... Misery is always there. I never lose interest in it, despite having read it so many times.

Tied for second place are the likes of Cujo, Firestarter and Pet Cemetery. All three of them are fantastic in their own ways. Cujo is actually one of my earliest memories (including both the book and the film). My sister had a bunch of King books (which she generously gave me in the future) and the one I can still remember looking at was Cujo. I must have been about 4 and I still remember the sight perfectly. I also "read" a few words from a page, despite not understanding a word of it. However someone snatched it off me and I got in trouble. I still regret the fact that that copy of the book has since gone missing before it was given to me. The next time I tried to read it, I was about 10/11 and bought it with my own money. This time, I got to the second or third chapter and then got it taken off me again (more trouble followed lol). Eventually, my parents caved in and let me buy Misery after I finished Primary School. I read it twice over the summer holidays. Afterwards, I got my sisters King books (Firestarter, Christine, The Shining, Carrie, Desperation, Rage, The Long Walk, The Running Man, Different Seasons and Pet Cemetery) While I was disappointed with Cujo's absence, I read the ones I'd heard about beforehand, especially liking Firestarter and Pet Cemetery. I FINALLY got to read Cujo when I was around 14 when I got it from my school (I had a note saying I could read it as they didn't give it to me first time). It scared me but I loved it.

But the true terror came from the film. Along with the book, I remember looking at the film's VHS cover with Dee Wallace looking terrified. But the general consensous was that the book was worse than the film (Comparing them I'd have to agree with that) and to my surprise... I was allowed to view it! Aged 9! It was my fifth 18 rated movie and what happened? Well it traumatised me. I'd already seen Alien, Aliens, Predator and Predator 2 (all 18's at that point) and none of them except Alien really bothered me. But even then, I only had trouble sleeping one night. Now with Cujo, I feared it for ages. It was kind of like with the kid from the film: Tad, who was scared of the monster in the closet. Nowadays, I love the film, but the fear is gone... The book is much better though.

Firestarter I liked, especially because of the character of Rainbird. He was a dangerous human-being whom had a great deal of power at his disposal in the form The Shop. Sure The Shop were intimidating, but Rainbird had a great deal of influence over their leader (Cap) and held all the cards. He's certainly up there with the greatest King villains... The story itself has always intrigued me and it's probably the book I've read the second most amount of times with only Misery beating it in that category.

Pet Cemetery is great all the way through, but the highlights are the trips back and forth to the cemetery and the end game with the undead gage on the loose. It's quick but Gage speaks as if he was an adult and uses it to great effect in such a way that it rivals Regan from The Exorcist. Though the fact that Gage is just a toddler helps to fuel the terror.

I enjoy his other work too, but the four above are my favorites. Runners up would be IT and The Dead Zone.
Old 15th November 2013, 06:01 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothmogxx View Post
The Shining (I've tried... Many times. But I just can't get into it).
I am rereading right now and can't put it down!
I've read most SK novels too. Thank you for writing this, that was a nice piece.
Vipp and Gothmogxx like this.
Old 15th November 2013, 09:43 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyscreams View Post
I am rereading right now and can't put it down!
I've read most SK novels too. Thank you for writing this, that was a nice piece.
I will try again at some point I guess. I mean I love the 1980 version of the film.

Yeah nothing beats nostalgic memories. You got any good memories regarding your first King book/film? In fact, that questions for everyone reading this. I love reading about peoples experiences with movies/books/games during the "good old nostalgic" days.
Vipp likes this.
Old 15th November 2013, 09:45 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

First SK book I read was Pet Sematary back in 1990 when I was 11, scared the crap outta me, loved his work ever since
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 15th November 2013, 10:15 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
First SK book I read was Pet Sematary back in 1990 when I was 11, scared the crap outta me, loved his work ever since
It seems the general consensus is that Pet Sematary has a massive effect on adults compared to kids. Kids either loved it or got scared. But I always read about how the book bothers those with kids and I can see why. Gages death is incredibly merciless (need I also mention the fact that King foreshadows it many times beforehand, which just adds suspense). This section here is heartbreaking-

("Kite Flyne!" Gage cried out to his father, and Louis put his arm around Gages shoulders and kissed the boys cheek, in which the wind had bloomed a wild rose.
"I love you Gage," he said-it was between the two of them, and that was all right.
And Gage, who now had less than two months to live, laughed shrilly and joyously, "Kite flyne! Kite Flyne, daddy!")

I don't believe that any other set of characters in a King book suffer more than the Creeds. And I can see how a mother or father would tremble at the mere thought of a similar tragedy.
Old 15th November 2013, 10:17 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Doesn't Stephen King himself consider Pet Sematary his scariest work?
Old 16th November 2013, 09:04 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothmogxx View Post
I will try again at some point I guess. I mean I love the 1980 version of the film.

Yeah nothing beats nostalgic memories. You got any good memories regarding your first King book/film? In fact, that questions for everyone reading this. I love reading about peoples experiences with movies/books/games during the "good old nostalgic" days.
If you love the film, the book will throw in a few essential plot developments that Kubrick didn't bother with. no one on the planet loves Kubrick more than i do but it has to be said that the shining film actually doesn't make sense. until you read the book anyway, then it does. I was hooked with the book and read it in two days. AND before reading it i was sure SK was the most over rater author in the world, now i understand he is actually brilliant but you should pick your books carefully. a bit like Hammer films.
Old 19th December 2013, 05:41 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

4 new SK films due next year. Cell being the one I'm most looking forward to as I'm a big fan of the book

4 Stephen King Movies To Get Excited About In 2014 - Films - ShortList Magazine
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 19th December 2013, 05:45 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Cusack and Jackson in the same film has great promise.
Old 19th December 2013, 05:47 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Cusack and Jackson in the same film has great promise.
Yeah, two actors I'm a fan of and they were great in 1408 from a few years back

Like this? Share it using the links below!