Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > VHS & Exploitation > Censorship
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd April 2010, 11:31 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

So Ferman was in favour of passing The Evil Dead uncut.
Old 23rd April 2010, 12:27 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Seems that way. It was also mentioned in the Dewe Mathews book that most of the examiners (including Ferman) were in 'howls of laughter' at the OTT blood and gory violence. However one (female) examiner said it "affected her physically" and felt her "bodily integrity had been attacked" (presumably by a tree).

So that was that. Snip, snip went the scissors.
Old 23rd April 2010, 02:06 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenzo View Post
Passed uncut for cinema but 17 secs were cut from the video. Would pass uncut today if resubmitted (the DVD is the cut video print).
Didn't Ferman withhold a certificate from Beyond Bedlam? Not actually rejecting it, but kind of shelving it until things calmed down a bit?
Old 23rd April 2010, 02:34 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

He may well have done. There was an 8 month gap between the cinema and (cut) video release.
Old 24th April 2010, 12:14 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

I'm sure that's what he did. Did the same with Reservoir Dogs, never actually rejected it, then it miraculously appeared circa 1994, some 2 years after it's release.

And here's a nugget of unsung info - I was a member of the Briittannia Video Club and in 1993 they notified me that, following the death of Jamoe Bulger, they woild no longer be supplying contentious horror titles.
Old 24th April 2010, 06:36 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

The delay in classifying a number of titles inc Bad Lieutenant, Reservoir Dogs, Dirty Weekend etc on video in the mid 90's was due to the amendment contained in the Criminal and Justice Order Act 1994. The BBFC were just waiting to see how it would work out before making their decision.

Tarantino was said to be very pleased with the delay to his film as it gave the film a much longer cinema life.
Old 24th April 2010, 08:41 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

just reading the bit all about the video nasties hers a extract

1980’s, a time of high unemployment, race riots, economic recession and rising crime

slightly away from films ...... 30yrs on and nothing changed then
Old 24th April 2010, 10:12 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
I'm sure that's what he did. Did the same with Reservoir Dogs, never actually rejected it, then it miraculously appeared circa 1994, some 2 years after it's release.

And here's a nugget of unsung info - I was a member of the Briittannia Video Club and in 1993 they notified me that, following the death of Jamoe Bulger, they woild no longer be supplying contentious horror titles.
The bootlegers and market stalls made a fortune outta Reservoir Dogs as everyone seemed to want this film.
I remember seeing it on VHS at the Sunday market at every film stall I went to.
I now have it in the Ltd Ed petrol can tin box on BD.
Old 24th April 2010, 10:16 AM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Britannia Video Club.Now there's a blast from the past.
Old 24th April 2010, 11:20 AM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Quote:
Natural Born Killers also ran into problems due to the release date coinciding with the Dunblane massacre. The distributors asked the BBFC to pull the video which Ferman couldn't do (it had already been certified), so they withdrew the release themselves.

BBFC case study on Reservoir Dogs here.

Last edited by vincenzo; 24th April 2010 at 11:31 AM. Reason: Replaced 'Bulger' with 'Dunblane'.

Like this? Share it using the links below!