Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > VHS & Exploitation > Censorship
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree1188Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st December 2014, 02:25 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Hey fellow Culties.
Right, today a thought came to mind (Don't groan..!) so I thought I'd share with you. Yay you!!

It's this; A friend of mine recently sold off a load of Asian and violent DVDs as he is converting to blu ray only from now on. This tempted me as I have a bit here and there and he got good money for a few like the Tokugawa collection but I think this is a mistake, after having a look around.

His argument is that everything is coming to Bluray but are now limited to 1000 or 1200 copies so everything he now buys will become collectors dreams in but a couple of years. I do get this, in a way, but I think it's wrong to dump your DVDs now as they might be very hard to get again. Remember video...

Take the Tokugawa Trilogy I mentioned earlier. My mate got £150.00 for the 3 slipcases. Good money. These are the Shock Video releases btw, but in my opinion he has a very low chance of ever getting them in a decent Bluray release. One of them, Shoguns Sadism, aka Oxen Split Torture has been put out on Bluray in Germany but has no English options at all. And even with our Nekromantik passing BBFC, these would still struggle to ever pass our stringent criteria, so will never appear uncut over here. Those films are now forever gone from his collection and a precedent has been made for their assumed value.

I think there are many films on DVD we will wait an awful long time for, if they ever appear at all, in our New World Order of censorship that refuses to make films for adults and brings ever more censorship into our daily lives. For years now we have had utter tosh coming out of film studios that are terrified of losing money so aims everything at a 15 year olds mentality. It says a lot when most film fans agree that the 70's was the last great decade for films.

So my thoughts are this; don't be too quick to sell off your old films, they might be highly sort after in years to come.
Old 21st December 2014, 02:44 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Good point Boo, but I also wonder if there is a younger generation coming through who would even buy the more extreme stuff on Blu when it is only a torrent away or is it just a market for old gits like ourselves. Back to your main point, it does seem a bit daft to sell something in the hope of a future, upgraded release.
Old 21st December 2014, 02:53 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I've never understood why people want a hard drive full of films. Basically you have nothing. I want to hold and look at my films. Something tangible in my hands. Something with a re-sale value!!

I hate getting old!!
Old 21st December 2014, 03:24 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
I've never understood why people want a hard drive full of films. Basically you have nothing. I want to hold and look at my films. Something tangible in my hands. Something with a re-sale value!!

I hate getting old!!
I'm trying to impart my wisdom on to the little MTDSs about the virtues of physical media and I think it is working if glazed eyes and a look of "dad's off on one again" on their little faces is anything to go by.
Old 30th December 2014, 03:00 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Is anyone really surprised? All the same, a good article.

Revealed: Mary Whitehouse signed up Margaret Thatcher for 'video nasties' campaign - Birmingham Mail
Old 30th December 2014, 03:31 PM
Seasoned Cultist

POLL.

So what do we all think

Poll: Was Mary Whitehouse right to oppose "video nasties" because of their impact on children? « Shropshire Star
Old 30th December 2014, 04:03 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Had there not been the whole video nasties affair these films would have just disappeared after a few years for being the low budget 'trash' they undoubtedly are. The majority anyway.

Meaning that they would never have gained the reputation or notoriety that they have today also probably meaning that forums such as this would never have existed and the whole vhs collectors market during the eighties and nineties would never have begun in such earnest.

Last edited by Demdike@Cult Labs; 30th December 2014 at 04:16 PM. Reason: there...not their.
Old 30th December 2014, 04:38 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Had their not been the whole video nasties affair these films would have just disappeared after a few years for being the low budget 'trash' they undoubtedly are. The majority anyway.

Meaning that they would never have gained the reputation or notoriety that they have today also probably meaning that forums such as this would never have existed and the whole vhs collectors market during the eighties and nineties would never have begun in such earnest.
Yeah what Dem said, up yours Mary you uptight old twat.
I bet she's spinning in her grave.

I'm not totally opposed to all censorship, but when dealing with adult films made for adult audiences, everyone should respect the rights to express artistic freedom.
As long as a filmmaker is not violating the rights of people/animals who are not giving their consent to being exploited, they should be only answerable to classification.

Looking at the current poll results people still don't seem to want to accept responsibility for their film collections.
If a film is classified as an adult film, kids shouldn't be able to buy this or view it until they are old enough, thats the whole point of classification.
If adults show a kid an adult film it is up to them to take responsibility and assess wether the minor is equipped with the intellectual abilities to cope with the film.
Then there is the argument of the internet making stuff available, a kid can only have access through whatever device an adult gives them, again it's up to a responsible adult to oversee what is being made available.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 30th December 2014, 04:48 PM
Cult Addict

Kinda lost track there.
What i was trying to get at was that Mary Whitehouse was not right to attack the video nasties because of their affect on children because these films were not made for children.
If she had called for proper classification and more control of their availability, ie only being sold to adults, instead of descending into hysteria and trying to get stuff banned, then she would have been right.
I know what i'm talking about anyway.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 30th December 2014, 04:56 PM
Cult Addict

I think that the shropshire star knows how to pose a leading question and knows exactly how it wants people to vote. Yellow Journalism.
nosferatu42 likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!