Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > VHS & Exploitation > Censorship
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Poll: Which Video Nasties are the best?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Which Video Nasties are the best?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th August 2008, 08:15 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I reckon if someone had the balls to release it,it'd go through unscathed Cloudy....
Old 4th August 2008, 08:21 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Perhaps it would get through the bbfc but could you imagine the response to it in this day and age? You can't say a lot now without being branded a racist so I could see that film upsetting a lot of those overly sensitive people.
Old 4th August 2008, 08:23 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Yeah a right old storm it would cause-the bondage loving,water sporting tories would be up in arms again....
Old 4th August 2008, 08:29 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper72 View Post
Yeah a right old storm it would cause-the bondage loving,water sporting tories would be up in arms again....
Well it'd be a test of 'no publicity is bad publicity'! It would be a gamble for a label like Shameless because it would garner a lot of flack but it would also bring lots of coverage for the label and it's other releases. The same would go for the Nazploitation films on the list.

But on the question itself I don't think any of those films deserve banning.

"I'm saving your soul you ungrateful bitch!"
Night of the Demon
Old 4th August 2008, 08:31 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I'm just looking at some quotes from IMDb, this film is pure comedy imo but maybe my SoH is a bit warped...

Also doesn't William Sanderson refer to Ted Turner as "Turd Turnip" at one point?

And that dog scene

Last edited by cloud; 5th August 2008 at 03:15 PM.
Old 4th August 2008, 08:36 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

There's no question that it would get through in my opinion. I asked the BBFC recently if they would ban the film today, they said that would be very unlikely. The last time they banned the film in 1981 they were asked to classify it in the middle of the Brixton race riots, this put a lot of pressure on them to ban the film which they did. The BBFC have moved on a great deal since then. Again I asked the BBFC (somebody else) about the chances of it getting through today, they said it would be banned if it was seen to promote, endorse or encourage racism. I'm quite sure the film doesn't do any of that. All the racists are criminals for a start who get their comeupance.

For the BBFC to ban a film there must be evidence that the film is going to have a harmful effect on viewers. People who were not racists before they see this film are not going to become racists after seeing it.
Old 4th August 2008, 09:34 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

I agree. Fight For Your Life would fly through the BBFC now without any problems.

Love Camp 7 was the most recent of the 74 to be rejected. I can't see The Beast In Heat suffering the same fate but it would definitely be pretty heavily cut if submitted today.
Old 4th August 2008, 11:00 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Quote:
Nothing deserves to be banned from that list mate.Certain things remain taboo and banned,and rightly so,but no,certainly nothing from above.
Even the likes of ISOYG and CH,seeing as they're only films,i.e.make believe and not reality,then everyone should have the free choice whether to watch them or not......
Couldn't agree more Reaper. Adults should have the free right to choose to watch whatever they want. I do agree with censorship because there are things out there that need censoring and rightfully so, but personally I don't think fictional horror films should be subjebt to censorship, especially not in this day and age.

I agree that certain things like the Nazisploitation films might cause problems for some, but it's everyones choice whether they watch something or not. People shouldn't watch things they know is gonna offend them.
Old 5th August 2008, 12:25 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
I reckon Vip's,if someone had the time,money and could be arsed tracking down the rights,digitally transfering it and submitting it to the BBFC,not a lot on that list WOULDN'T pass uncut.....The slogan 'PREVIOUSLY BANNED' or 'FORMER VIDEO NASTY' helps shift units IMO......Mike Lee would be the guy to ask that question......

When did Mike Lee ever digitally remaster anything. Reap's ?
No, what I meant was does anyone think that any films on the DPP list should be banned today in uncensored form.?
Is there any films on the list that anybody would be offended by an uncut UK release today.?

And change your avatar Rreap's , you look like Vince.

Last edited by vipco; 5th August 2008 at 12:33 AM.
Old 5th August 2008, 07:56 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipco View Post
Is there any films on the list that anybody would be offended by an uncut UK release today.?
Yeah... Killer Nun!!!

Jokes!

I'm offended by the Nazi stuff, but that doesn't mean they should be cut up and thrown on the shit pile. None of these films deserved the life-long legacy they now have - especially under the circumstances they got 'em!

Many of these films wouldn't be in collectors ownership if it wasn't for Mary Whitehouse and her motley crew making them sound so appealing and required viewing.

Welcome to The Deuce

Like this? Share it using the links below!