Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Gaming
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree72Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th July 2011, 07:55 PM
Cult Acolyte

Cool

'Mario Golf'-N64, Nintendo score a hole in one(sorry) with this sublime game of golf. Cute graphics and wickedly good gameplay(when you get the hang of it) put this near the top of the N64 pile(golf is unusually popular on consoles, my mate said it was because you could play it in a... mellow state of mind ahem) but for whatever reason this is pure class.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vlcsnap-2011-07-11-19h27m54s173.jpg (53.8 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg vlcsnap-2011-07-11-19h28m13s125.jpg (44.8 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg vlcsnap-2011-07-11-19h29m17s2.jpg (41.1 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg vlcsnap-2011-07-11-19h29m10s155.jpg (42.8 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg vlcsnap-2011-07-11-19h30m33s9.jpg (46.2 KB, 1 views)
Pete likes this.
Old 11th July 2011, 08:09 PM
Cult Acolyte

Cool

'Yoshi's Story'-N64, I remember seeing this on sale for £54.99 when it came out, things like that can kill a games appeal dead. But just look at it, It'll bring a smile no problem, and if you have nippers running about the place they will love watching you play this. And wait till you hear the sounds. Stuff like the way the fruit goes round the screen as you collect it, and the colour based bash-em gameplay all add to the fun. One of the last great N64 games.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vlcsnap-2011-07-11-19h31m01s246.jpg (51.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg vlcsnap-2011-07-11-19h31m33s69.jpg (54.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg vlcsnap-2011-07-11-19h31m44s180.jpg (45.8 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg vlcsnap-2011-07-11-19h32m22s33.jpg (47.7 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg vlcsnap-2011-07-11-19h32m30s110.jpg (51.7 KB, 2 views)
Old 11th July 2011, 10:37 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by platostotal View Post
'Super Ghouls and Ghosts'-Snes, Every serious gamer of the time will have fond memories of this beaut of Capcom perfection, or should that be hard as f**k perfection. It is seriously hard, but what a game. A real sense of achievement when you finish a level, you need the reactions of a cyborg to survive the later levels. And what other game let's you run around in your underpants when hit. You just have to have a go on this(it can be found on Capcom compilation discs nowadays)
GHOSTS 'N' GOBLINS as it was originally known-I completed this on a ZX Spectrum when I was a pup-and yeah it was bloody hard!

Anyone remember THE TERMINATOR on the Sega Master System?

Pete and oaxaca like this.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 11th July 2011, 11:15 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper@Cult Labs View Post
GHOSTS 'N' GOBLINS as it was originally known-I completed this on a ZX Spectrum when I was a pup-and yeah it was bloody hard!

Anyone remember THE TERMINATOR on the Sega Master System?

Had a Speccy myself, nowadays punters moan about tiny glitches, how would they cope with tape loading errors? I once played 'Head over Heels' for a good 4 hours straight, 'Goblins' was indeed a toughie, but 'Ghouls' is just insane. I had a 128k speccy(think of the power) then I saw the Amiga/ST and a round of 'Stunt car racer' with 6 mates brought the 8bit days to an end...
Old 12th July 2011, 06:41 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Had a Speccy myself, nowadays punters moan about tiny glitches, how would they cope with tape loading errors? I once played 'Head over Heels' for a good 4 hours straight, 'Goblins' was indeed a toughie, but 'Ghouls' is just insane. I had a 128k speccy(think of the power) then I saw the Amiga/ST and a round of 'Stunt car racer' with 6 mates brought the 8bit days to an end...
Hehe, I used to love my Amiga 600! It seemed to bridge the gap between a console and a PC. Back in those days a owning a PC would have been like winning the lottery. I remember seeing some sort of Star Wars 1st person shooter demo for the PC in some independant PC shop and the graphics were incredible, I think that must have been my first FPS experience

Blu Rays ---- Vinyl ---- For Sale / Trade ---- Blu Spaghetti
Old 13th July 2011, 05:04 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I tell the kids they don't know how lucky they've got it these days!

The look on their faces when I tell them that you had to wait twenty minutes to load a game from a cassette recorder!

They've never even seen an audio cassette!

First computer I had was an Acorn Electron-The poor man's BBC Micro,which were a bloody fortune!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg electron.jpg (28.8 KB, 2 views)

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 13th July 2011, 06:20 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Games are so much easier now, there was no room for error back then, one wrongly timed move or button press meant game over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper@Cult Labs View Post
I tell the kids they don't know how lucky they've got it these days!

The look on their faces when I tell them that you had to wait twenty minutes to load a game from a cassette recorder!
My nephew told me off when I recounted how I sold my C64 and a ton of games when I discovered girls - "Wait...you sold your C64!!?"

His ambition is make a retro game everyone will want to play.

Bless his oddball ways, must take after his uncle.

(He loves Italian horror/b-movies too, with no input from me, although I had a field day showing him my DVD collection last time he came round.)
Old 14th July 2011, 10:25 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

This is my collection of stuff (there's also about 150, erm, 'borrowed' PS1 games as well, because some of the prices for classic titles is silly money. I'll get them eventually though! I'll post up some thoughts when I'm not bed-ridden . Also, I haven't included any current gen (360/ps3/WII) stuff in the library shots.

Pete likes this.
Old 14th July 2011, 10:31 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

You've got all the classics there!! I had so much fun playing Duck Tails on the NES not to mention Castle of Illusion, Altered Beast, Shinobi, Streets of Rage, TazMania, Urban Strike and Desert Strike on the mega drive...

I remember my dad coming up with this great way to allow me to play US genesis games on my megadrive, all he did was file the sides of the cartridge slot away so that the larger genesis cartridges fitted it and it actually worked!

Blu Rays ---- Vinyl ---- For Sale / Trade ---- Blu Spaghetti
Old 14th July 2011, 11:50 AM
Cult Acolyte

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaxaca View Post
You've got all the classics there!! I had so much fun playing Duck Tails on the NES not to mention Castle of Illusion, Altered Beast, Shinobi, Streets of Rage, TazMania, Urban Strike and Desert Strike on the mega drive...

I remember my dad coming up with this great way to allow me to play US genesis games on my megadrive, all he did was file the sides of the cartridge slot away so that the larger genesis cartridges fitted it and it actually worked!
Yep, did a not so subtle fix myself, tried something like it on my snes, no luck tho.

Like this? Share it using the links below!