Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Gaming
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree59Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd October 2008, 04:31 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Default Very Brief Reviews.

I just NASCAR 09 on Mon/Tue and FIFA 09 today. (Fri) for PS3.

The few days play i've had with NASCAR 09 have been very enjoyable , much better than 08.
All the faults of 08 have been addressed and an effort has been made to try attract Racing Game fans who go for the more arcade style gameplay of Need for Speed and GRID.
Its still a Hardcore Sim though, and the 'Novice' mode , is really just the cpu controlling the cars speed, breaking and steering.
Move up a level and if 'Sim' Racers are not your thing, you'll be lucky to make 1 lap without spinning out.
It really is a deep , unforgiving Racing Sim.
Avoid also if your not a NASCAR fan, as all but 2 of the tracks are Oval Speedway's , so you'll soon tire of the lack of track variation .
The graphics are good, but the tracks being exact replica of their real life venues means there is vast areas of grey tarmac , but thats not EA's fault, though the car models are spot on and all decked out in the real team colors and designs.
IF you are big on Racing Sim games and enjoy NASCAR , then this really is the best you can get imho.
If your looking for an Arcade experience or are new to Sim Racing games, then avoid.
There are more accessible Sim Racers out there.
NASCAR 09
EA SPORTS
Racing
PS3/360/Wii/PC/PSP/DS
39.99 - 49.99

FIFA 09 I haven't had a chance to get to grips with, but it feels like EA's Euro 08.
The graphics have been ramped up a level and each player has more annimations now which makes the game look and play extremely realistic.
New this year is Addias Live Season, were you pick a league and all teams and players individual form, injuries, etc will be accessed and downloaded to replicate the form of the real life players with all the games players and teams exactly with their real life counterparts. So if a player has a duff week in real life then his cpu counterpart will behave accordingly .

This is not all thats new to FIFA 09 which make it stand out from the 08 version , the 09 version introduces a few more gameplay elements into the mix that assures all game players are catered for and no matter what your skill level , you'll be playing with 2 teams from 30 real life leagues in no time.
Highly recommend to anyone with even the slightest interest in soccer.

FIFA 09
EA SPORTS
Sport
PS3/360/PC /Wii/PSP/DS

Both games were the PS3 versions .
Next TNA IMPACT.

Last edited by vipco; 14th October 2008 at 06:16 PM.
Old 13th October 2008, 11:05 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

NBA Live 09
Basketball
EA Sports
HD 720P
X360/PS3/PC,- Wii version to follow.
?44.99 RRP.

After the poor 08 version of Live, EA have imo listened to fans gripes and fixed most of what was wrong in 08 while adding a few new aspects to the game that will elevate this years version back to a AAA Sports title again , with style.

First off, for a small one off fee, you can have daily real life NBA stats for every in game NBA team , downloaded to bring every CPU team to match their real life conterpart, so if a player gets injured in training he'll be come an injured player in the game from the day of his injury and is laid up untill his real life conterpart, becomes fit to play.
Its not only injuries, but bad press, poor games, marriage break up's, in fact anything that happens to effect a players form in the NBA will be reflected realistically in game.
This feature is called NBA 365 ' DNA ' .

New to this years edition is The Academy , which will help school new fans in the game of Basketball and gameplay features.

Gameplay ways this title offers a solid basketball simulation thats suited to all skill levels , basic b'ball with the cpu calling the Plays to to you controlling 2 players for Pick and Roll plays.

The graphics and annimations are very realistic, especially in Hi Def, though imo the X360 has slightly sharper graphics than the PS3 version. This is a minor thing as both console versions look amazing.

While theres nothing here to specialy attract newcommers to the game outside of The States , theres more than enough to attract back those players who jumped to rival basketball game, NBA 2K.Sports.And any new commers who do pick up the game will find it very user friendly in Novice mode and there are plenty of Training drills available should they want ot 'learn' the game and advance to higher levels.

Overall, a quality sports title and a return to No1 Sports games company for EA.
If your looking a serious Basketball game then look no further as NBA LIVE 09 has it all.

Last edited by vipco; 14th October 2008 at 03:41 PM.
Old 12th November 2008, 11:58 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

NINTENDO have just released a new version of the NINTENDO DS called NINTENDO DSi. in Japan with a UK release expected soon.

New features include a built in Web Browser, built in camera, a SD card slot, more advanced audio capabilities plus a larger screen.
Old 12th November 2008, 12:01 PM
Newsletter Moderator
Forum Moderator

I'm debating trading in my DS Lite for one of these when it gets released over here. It' looks pretty awesome and I do love my DS games!
Old 12th November 2008, 12:12 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

It does look sweet Sarah and the Japaneese price translated at £101 though the UK price is expected to be a bit higher.

NINTENDO also plan 'downloadable games' to play a big part in the DSi.'s future.

I'll keep my PSP but upgrading your DS Lite would be a good move Sarah .

One thing, dont import Jap/USA machines as the DSi is territorial locked and it could affect any download abbilities/upgrades .
Old 21st November 2008, 02:33 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Anybody after an alien vs predator-reqiuem for the psp?
Ordered 2 by mistake. Any reasonable offer/trade welcome.
Old 21st November 2008, 03:45 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Been playing a bunch of new X-Box 360 games round at my mates house this week. 'Far Cry 2', 'Dead Space', 'Mirrors Edge' and 'Gears of War 2'. They're all great games, really fun, Dead Space especially is fantastic (although a little overly hard in places ). If any of you 360 owners have been thinking of picking any of these titles up then go for it, you cant go wrong
Old 21st November 2008, 06:20 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

As far as I know, Dario Argento does a bit of voice acting on that Dead Space. Madness.
Old 21st November 2008, 07:17 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

As a PS3 owner who's just recently bought another 360 I must say im very impressed by it.
My 1st 360 was a launch model and was a hell of a lot more noiser and hotter to touch. Then it died, age 1.

The new ones though are well worth investing in if your considering getting a Games Console that can also 'Upscale' your SD DVD's to HD.
Personally I still have a slight preference towards my PS3 , but I would highly recommended the X360 to anybody .
A great machine now MS have added the new chipset.

BTW, if you register your new machine you get a 3 year warranty .
I mention this as I know Trench and Hal got new machines.
Old 22nd November 2008, 08:19 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Default Games Bargins

ARGOS are having a " Up to 5 0% Off " sale with their Games at the moment, and its not just old crap.Theres alot of newly released Games across all systems.

I got WWE SMACKDOWN vs RAW 09 PS3 for £25 quid. £15 off.! (Awesome Game)
I also got " MIDNIGHT CLUB LA 360 for 25 quid as well.

PES 09 is half price on PS3 / 360 at 24 quid , and Guitar Hero World Tour with Guitar is £49.99, a saving of 30 quid. (PS3/Wii/360)

There are loads more PS3 / 360 / PS2 / Wii / PSP / DS games and accessories well under RRP.

Theres a leaflet in store with all the Games Sale prices.

Like this? Share it using the links below!