Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

J Harker 13th December 2017 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 560245)
Not my experience. But then I've only seen scream factory' s and the older bog standard blu plus the old MG M dvd. Maybe something is up with Arrows transfer people I speak to through social media all seemed impressed

It's not bad it's just nothing special. I have to admit I'm in the minority when it comes to film grain. I get it and understand why its there. But i don't much like it. When it comes to a new HD transfer I will happily accept that increased detail is worth increased grain. But in this particular case I don't think the former is as evident as the latter, if that makes any sense.

keirarts 13th December 2017 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 560246)
I take it that Carrie is a fave of yours, K. Owning so many copies.

King and DePalma, what's not to love? It's a film I keep buying over and over.

keirarts 13th December 2017 12:46 PM

I really like king Adaptations in general. Even the ones considered failures like maximum overdrive and dreamcatcher

BAKA 13th December 2017 02:56 PM

7 Attachment(s)
Quite a backlog of haulage. There's a load of stuff I got from Fopp back in late October when I went to see Aimee Mann (amazing!), as I'm sure you can tell, BFI and 88 Films titles were on offer. There's also a couple of Birthday sale items from PowerHouse. Criterion Flash sale order (I adore Ghost World, and wasn't going to sit and wait to see if it eventually got a UK release), a smattering of recent releases, a couple of things that were cheap on Amazon, and my Vinegar Syndrome Black Friday sale haul (which didn't get hit by customs this year). Particularly looking forward to Blood Beat (I've heard amazingly good / bad things), Demon Wind (that lenticular slip alone), Liquid Sky (the trailer sold me), and Disconnected (never seen it, but it's a slasher from a period I'm overly fond of).

profondo rosso 13th December 2017 03:35 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I had to look Bloodbeat up as I thought I had not heard of it, then saw the trailer and poster and realised I had seen it on VHS! Good movie although bizarre at times. This was the cover on VHS.

Attachment 199884

Recent purchases after seeing others on here, they look nice and I can get rid of a couple of slim case versions I have of Soylent Green and Logan's Run.

Attachment 199885

Attachment 199886

Attachment 199887

Attachment 199888

SilverSurfer 13th December 2017 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Boy (Post 560157)
My Carrie arrived today as well.

Attachment 199842

Ewwww horrible cover that,Should be like this but instead of take Carrie to the prom it should be Party.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....0,1200_AL_.jpg

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 13th December 2017 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 560248)
King and DePalma, what's not to love? It's a film I keep buying over and over.

I know I'll be in the minority, but I consider Carrie to be one of DePalma's weaker films, with the source material by King being far superior to the film in my opinion (I think the novel being a well-thumbed fave of mine growing up may have a lot to do with this). Still, it's a film I still enjoy and will be getting the standard edition when it hits the sales to replace my old MGM DVD.

trebor8273 13th December 2017 07:55 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Some Christmas movies from music magpie.

SilverSurfer 13th December 2017 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 560248)
DePalma

Have you tried Passion (2012) ?

The rivalry between the manipulative boss of an advertising agency and her talented protégée escalates from stealing credit to public humiliation to murder.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....1rb-xLmqIL.jpg

keirarts 14th December 2017 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverSurfer (Post 560309)
Have you tried Passion (2012) ?

The rivalry between the manipulative boss of an advertising agency and her talented protégée escalates from stealing credit to public humiliation to murder.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....1rb-xLmqIL.jpg

Not yet. It's in my wishlist. Looking around for a decent blu-ray release. Fed up of DVD only on half the stuff released in the uk.

Dave Boy 14th December 2017 10:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverSurfer (Post 560269)
Ewwww horrible cover that,Should be like this but instead of take Carrie to the prom it should be Party.

Yeah, it's not the best. The reverse sleeve has the poster art but like you say, It's not the UK poster tag line which is the one I remember and I prefer as well.

Attachment 199919

marvinnashsear 14th December 2017 02:37 PM

Fopp buys yesterday -

House III
Atomic Blonde
Shin Godzilla
The Crying Game (BD)

Got He Never Died from Asda for 3 quid and finally bit the bullet and ordered the Criterion Seven Samurai blu ray. Been wanting it for years but was always put off by the price but just thought to hell with it.

SilverSurfer 14th December 2017 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 560317)
Fed up of DVD only on half the stuff released in the uk.

I am happy with all the DVD stuff released as I do not own a Blu ray player or any discs and do not intend to either.

Demdike@Cult Labs 14th December 2017 04:58 PM

Aren't Amazon odd.

I ordered an item yesterday afternoon and it's just arrived.

I do NOT have Prime, nor will i ever do.

trebor8273 14th December 2017 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 560347)
Aren't Amazon odd.

did it come by royal mail that would explain why as the courier they use for prime is beyond useless!

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 14th December 2017 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 560347)
Aren't Amazon odd.

Same. I ordered a couple of things last weekend with a follow-up e-mail from Amazon to say that they'd be arriving on the 14th (today). I received them Monday morning.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 14th December 2017 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 560357)
Same. I ordered a couple of things last weekend with a follow-up e-mail from Amazon to say that they'd be arriving on the 14th (today). I received them Monday morning.

I'm sure I have said this before, but I have Prime and sometimes opt for later/'non-express' delivery in order to gain vouchers and they are sometimes delivered with things I've ordered and chosen next day delivery.

I guess the quantity of orders is such that some items are put in the wrong pile and sent the next day delivery when they were ordered with the 3-5 day option.

I had an email from HMV this morning to say my copy of Chinatown from the Premium Collection was shipped. It will happily arrive tomorrow and, last I checked, is available to order in the 2 for £15 deal.

J Harker 14th December 2017 08:23 PM

Just arrived. I haven't seen this film in close to 30 years. Was the first vhs tape my dad and I ever bought.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...220f4598ac.jpg

Demdike@Cult Labs 14th December 2017 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 560369)
Just arrived. I haven't seen this film in close to 30 years. Was the first vhs tape my dad and I ever bought.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...220f4598ac.jpg

I watched that the other night. It's not bad. A lot of cameos. Landis practically stars in the film as a terrorist.

Demoncrat 14th December 2017 11:12 PM

I remember that Bowie's in it ... that's about it. Preferred After Hours ...

J Harker 15th December 2017 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 560380)
I watched that the other night. It's not bad. A lot of cameos. Landis practically stars in the film as a terrorist.

To be honest i can barely remember it.

Justin101 15th December 2017 04:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Two blind buys for me, The Monster Club from the recent Network sale, and Showgirls, I've been meaning to buy for ages, waited for the UK release but it turns out it's not in full HD it's in 1080i so I grabbed the German one! I think I might be saving it to watch on Christmas Day with my flatmate :lol:

:xmascan:

platostotal 15th December 2017 06:53 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Friday pick-ups, Electra Glide BD was a nice surprise in HMV for £8.99, Soylent & Bloodwork dvd were 50p each in Cancer Research...

trebor8273 15th December 2017 08:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
One delivery and just booked tickets to star wars at the IMAX for Monday.

Dave Boy 16th December 2017 07:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 199966

SymbioticFunction 16th December 2017 08:47 AM

Bought a Star Wars cgi animated Clone Wars blu-ray boxset from Zavvi. Cost 30.59 pounds with XMASBOX10 10% discount. That seems like a good price considering that it is Seasons 1-5 and roughly 28 hours of content. Will take me a while to get through.

I've previously watched several episodes from Season 1 and completely dismissed it but everyone assures me that during Season 3 it becomes pretty amazing from then on in. This should make a nice addition to my 8 film Star Wars collection.

Pleasingly all the episodes are in 2.35:1 (I think they were originally broadcast in 1.78:1 with information missing from the sides?) and in surround sound. And apparently later on in the series, there are 3 or 4 episode arcs that kinda play out like animated movies. So this should be quite good fun to watch if you are a Star Wars fan.

Dave Boy 16th December 2017 08:59 AM

^ Excellent. You will not be disappointed.
These episodes are great. Of note is that they feature characters such as Jedi Knights which only had background roles in the prequel films.
I will point out Season 2 Episode ' Landing At Point Rain' as a favourite of mine.

You should check out Star Wars Rebels. If you like The Clone Wars, you will LOVE Rebels.

SymbioticFunction 16th December 2017 09:15 AM

I could be wrong here but my understanding is that each Clone Wars episode's story was approved or authorized by George Lucas. So perhaps it could be argued that these are somehow more 'canon' than the 3 Disney movie entries? If I enjoy the show, I'll also pick up a blu-ray of the 75% completed 6th Season - available from the US, Australia or Germany I think.

Dave Boy 16th December 2017 09:24 AM

Yes. For completion the 6th season and The Clone Wars movie.

Nice one. :thumb:

trebor8273 16th December 2017 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SymbioticFunction (Post 560505)
Bought a Star Wars cgi animated Clone Wars blu-ray boxset from Zavvi. Cost 30.59 pounds with XMASBOX10 10% discount. That seems like a good price considering that it is Seasons 1-5 and roughly 28 hours of content. Will take me a while to get through.

I've previously watched several episodes from Season 1 and completely dismissed it but everyone assures me that during Season 3 it becomes pretty amazing from then on in. This should make a nice addition to my 8 film Star Wars collection.

Pleasingly all the episodes are in 2.35:1 (I think they were originally broadcast in 1.78:1 with information missing from the sides?) and in surround sound. And apparently later on in the series, there are 3 or 4 episode arcs that kinda play out like animated movies. So this should be quite good fun to watch if you are a Star Wars fan.

as others have said its a brilliant show far out shining the prequels, not sure but i think from season three onwards is when George took less control on the show, season one was just basically setting up the characters etc and it is cannon as is rebels

also worth getting six as it ties stuff into a new hope and answers some important questions

trebor8273 16th December 2017 10:18 AM

4 Attachment(s)
some charity shop finds and Dunkirk has just arrived from HMV

Stephen@Cult Labs 16th December 2017 12:04 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 559782)
Like you I'll end up buying the Slipcover version and putting this away with my limited 'Entire Mystery' box as well :lol:

Ah, just noticed the slipcover version s the same digipak inside a thinner outer case. Someone on blu-ray.com posted the photos below. I’ll just stick with my limited edition.

Attachment 199973Attachment 199974

Justin101 16th December 2017 12:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks to Dem for the inspiration, picked up a couple of Czech classics, hopefully I'll watch one or two later today, still waiting for Witchhammer to arrive!

Demdike@Cult Labs 16th December 2017 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 560526)
Thanks to Dem for the inspiration, picked up a couple of Czech classics, hopefully I'll watch one or two later today, still waiting for Witchhammer to arrive!

Hope you enjoy Morgiana as much as i did, Justin. :snowman:

Justin101 16th December 2017 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 560528)
Hope you enjoy Morgiana as much as i did, Justin. :snowman:

The images on the back cover and in the booklet make me think I will!

gag 16th December 2017 02:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
All from cex total £15

bleakshaun 16th December 2017 03:02 PM

Todays purchases from Fopp in Edinburgh
The Jodorowsky box set was only £15 down from £40https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...f9cf98beef.jpg

Sent from my MediaPad T1 8.0 Pro using Tapatalk

Justin101 16th December 2017 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bleakshaun (Post 560538)
Todays purchases from Fopp in Edinburgh
The Jodorowsky box set was only £15 down from £40https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...f9cf98beef.jpg

They had that Jodorowsky box set in our HMV a few months past and I held off buying it for too long and then someone else did :lol: it's not in stock online.

:elfsnow:

bleakshaun 16th December 2017 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 560543)
They had that Jodorowsky box set in our HMV a few months past and I held off buying it for too long and then someone else did [emoji38] it's not in stock online.

:elfsnow:

That's a pain

profondo rosso 16th December 2017 06:39 PM

7 Attachment(s)
Thanks to Symbiotic I picked up Clone Wars 1-5 on Blu for £30 off Zavvi. :thankingyou:

Attachment 199998

Love this movie, the ice hockey games are hilarious! :lol:

Attachment 199999

Another couple of 4K purchases, pre-orders

Zavvi Last Jedi and HMV for Blade Runner 2049

Attachment 200000

Attachment 200001

Attachment 200002

Couldnt resist these for £9.99 :hohoho:

Attachment 200003

Attachment 200004