Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

James Morton 14th October 2012 03:13 PM

CHAW is cut by 8 seconds - good old BBFC:rolleyes:

Cuts were made to remove sight of unsimulated cruelty to animals (a boar being chased and attacked by dogs; a live deer strung up and struggling on a frame; a live eel being cooked). Cuts made in accordance with BBFC policy and Guidelines.

Nordicdusk 14th October 2012 03:23 PM

Cheers for the replies lads. I can live without the animal cruelty so no loss.

Handyman Joe 14th October 2012 08:53 PM

The Wicker Tree - I knew this was going to be bad but nothing could have prepared me for the full tedious horror of this film. Where to begin sifting through this wreckage? Firstly, I've been to wedding venues scarier than the mileu of this movie - where exactly is it meant to be set? There's the oblitigary toothless locals peering round corners, but mainly it takes place in some kind of well manicured hunting estate - zero atmosphere to be had here folks. There's attempted comedy - a man with a talking raven! - but it's in no way funny, there's nudity but it's in no way sexy, there's no scares whatsoever so it's in no..... you get the picture. Why is this all so bloody dull? - I can't even get worked up about the aggressively racist depiction of Scotland - there isn't even a pub or bookies in sight - and, as for the ending, well, imagine a minor conflagaration in The Beechgrove Garden and you're way overestimating its power. An all time shitty, wretched dud.

Frankie Teardrop 14th October 2012 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 281833)
ALYCE, 3 quid from Morrisons. Anyone seen it and if so is it any good? It was a blind buy for me.

It's good. I think I reviewed it a couple of months ago, but basically it's a vaguely trippy revenge flick which follows 'Alyce' as she gets into a drug fueled oblivion after the ecstasy roof top death fall of one of her former mates. Then in the last 20 minutes it shifts gear into gratuitous gore flick mode. Pretty interesting indie.

Make Them Die Slowly 14th October 2012 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Handyman Joe (Post 282064)
The Wicker Tree - I knew this was going to be bad but nothing could have prepared me for the full tedious horror of this film. Where to begin sifting through this wreckage? Firstly, I've been to wedding venues scarier than the mileu of this movie - where exactly is it meant to be set? There's the oblitigary toothless locals peering round corners, but mainly it takes place in some kind of well manicured hunting estate - zero atmosphere to be had here folks. There's attempted comedy - a man with a talking raven! - but it's in no way funny, there's nudity but it's in no way sexy, there's no scares whatsoever so it's in no..... you get the picture. Why is this all so bloody dull? - I can't even get worked up about the aggressively racist depiction of Scotland - there isn't even a pub or bookies in sight - and, as for the ending, well, imagine a minor conflagaration in The Beechgrove Garden and you're way overestimating its power. An all time shitty, wretched dud.

Nice review. When I watched the film I had to keep reminding myself that it was a companion piece to "The Wicker Man" and not some crazed homage to British sex comedies.

Demdike@Cult Labs 14th October 2012 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 282093)
Nice review. When I watched the film I had to keep reminding myself that it was a companion piece to "The Wicker Man" and not some crazed homage to British sex comedies.

And once again i want to watch it. :nod:

It sits on a shelf unwatched. I preordered it then never bothered viewing it as absolutely no one had anything good to say.

Rik 14th October 2012 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 282105)
And once again i want to watch it. :nod:

It sits on a shelf unwatched. I preordered it then never bothered viewing it as absolutely no one had anything good to say.

Thankfully, I rented it instead of buying it. It really is "a pile of wank"© MTDS!!

JoshuaKaitlyn 14th October 2012 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suziginajackson (Post 273529)
The Russ Meyer collection box set!

Damn you for making this post!

Yesterday, at midnight, they had two copies of this set for £16.75, but I was too 'tired and emotional' - i.e drunk - to order it.

Bad things seem to happen to me when I order things from Amazon or Arrow films when the combination of alcohol and credit card are involved!!!

Today, the price has gone up to £20.26. Still cheap I admit, but it has definately increased

Curse those of you who purchased this between midnight and time of writing!!!!!!!!!!!

I did the same thing with the Meyer set! Left it too late and eventually went for the £20.26! Just finished 'Up!' that was certainly different!:)

oaxaca 15th October 2012 09:33 AM

Picked up these DVDs from Head earlier... The 2 Full Moon's were £5 each and TCM3 was £2:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpghttp://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpghttp://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 15th October 2012 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoshuaKaitlyn (Post 282119)
I did the same thing with the Meyer set! Left it too late and eventually went for the £20.26! Just finished 'Up!' that was certainly different!:)

Up! is my favourite Russ Meyer film – completely barmy and with a Greek chorus which makes things even more complicated!