Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

InDogWeTrust 8th February 2014 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 391380)
If it's the same as the British release which, by the cover, it looks to be, it contains the pilot, which is absent from the US release.

Yep, It sure does have the Pilot! :nod:

keirarts 8th February 2014 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InDogWeTrust (Post 391487)
Yep, It sure does have the Pilot! :nod:

Does it have the feature length 'movie' version of the pilot? In the uk that was only on the gold edition? I love that version. The extra stuff included to boost the running time is maddeningly surreal.

InDogWeTrust 9th February 2014 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 391499)
Does it have the feature length 'movie' version of the pilot? In the uk that was only on the gold edition? I love that version. The extra stuff included to boost the running time is maddeningly surreal.

I believe it is the movie length pilot. I'm not entirely sure but I assume it is as each disc has a running time and the first disc which only has 2 episodes (Pilot & Episode 1) has the same running time as the others which have 3 episodes. There's also a special features disc, Not sure what's on that but I'm keen to check it out.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 9th February 2014 05:04 AM

Another one for the collection...

http://dv1.us/p1/303/185303-d1.jpg

EDIT: Also just scored this from Zoverstocks for a pretty reasonable price due to them undercutting someone who was selling a used ex-rental copy.

I think it's oop as Amazon haven't had it listed in a while and the 'new' prices on marketplace start at around £35.

http://dv1.us/p1/267/177267-d1.jpg

ArgentoFan1987 9th February 2014 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 391507)

A millions times better than the Jack Nicholson remake. It's one of my favourite Film Noirs.

keirarts 9th February 2014 07:38 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by InDogWeTrust (Post 391502)
I believe it is the movie length pilot. I'm not entirely sure but I assume it is as each disc has a running time and the first disc which only has 2 episodes (Pilot & Episode 1) has the same running time as the others which have 3 episodes. There's also a special features disc, Not sure what's on that but I'm keen to check it out.

Cool. The feature length pilot wasn't on my original UK DVD set.

Yesterday I picked up....

Attachment 130283 Attachment 130284

Crystal lake memories is £12.42 from allyourmusic on marketplace. Has been over £20 for ages so grabbed it. Some mysterious seller (ahem) listed a version of Twin peaks gold edition with no box or discs. Z helpfully undercut them and I paid just under £6 for the set...

InDogWeTrust 9th February 2014 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 391517)
Cool. The feature length pilot wasn't on my original UK DVD set.

Yesterday I picked up....

Attachment 130283 Attachment 130284

Crystal lake memories is £12.42 from allyourmusic on marketplace. Has been over £20 for ages so grabbed it. Some mysterious seller (ahem) listed a version of Twin peaks gold edition with no box or discs. Z helpfully undercut them and I paid just under £6 for the set...

That gold box is the one I've been eying off for years now but never got around to it. So when I came across the releases I did yesterday, I knew it was time to pick them up! So happy I did!

oaxaca 9th February 2014 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 391507)

I recently sold a couple of film noirs in my collection and THE POSTMAN ALWAYS RINGS TWICE was one of them. Its a great film no mistake but I couldn't see myself watching it too often. The hot and humid setting of the diner on a deserted stretch of highway didn't really do it for me. I find myself enjoying the dark, dank inner-city noirs, e.g. FILE ON THELMA JORDAN, CITY THAT NEVER SLEEPS, THE ENFORCER, etc, more than the out-of-town ones for some reason :p I'm not sure about John Garfield either, wasn't much of a fan of BODY AND SOUL or FORCE OF EVIL - I think its more his films I'm not so keen on rather than his performances though.

Make Them Die Slowly 9th February 2014 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArgentoFan1987 (Post 391516)
A millions times better than the Jack Nicholson remake. It's one of my favourite Film Noirs.

Have you read the source novel? Worth tracking down if you haven't.

Make Them Die Slowly 9th February 2014 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oaxaca (Post 391522)
I recently sold a couple of film noirs in my collection and THE POSTMAN ALWAYS RINGS TWICE was one of them. Its a great film no mistake but I couldn't see myself watching it too often. The hot and humid setting of the diner on a deserted stretch of highway didn't really do it for me. I find myself enjoying the dark, dank inner-city noirs, e.g. FILE ON THELMA JORDAN, CITY THAT NEVER SLEEPS, THE ENFORCER, etc, more than the out-of-town ones for some reason :p I'm not sure about John Garfield either, wasn't much of a fan of BODY AND SOUL or FORCE OF EVIL - I think its more his films I'm not so keen on rather than his performances though.

I know what you mean but what about the Hollywood set "sunny" noir, "In A Lonely Place". Dark at heart but bright in look!