Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

Sam 6th April 2015 04:18 PM

Picked up Ti West's 'The Sacrament' from a charity shop today. Hopefully it will be more like 'House of the Devil' than the crumby 'Inkeepers'

Make Them Die Slowly 6th April 2015 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam (Post 443166)
Picked up Ti West's 'The Sacrament' from a charity shop today. Hopefully it will be more like 'House of the Devil' than the crumby 'Inkeepers'

It's very much it's own film but still very Ti West...bugger all happens then a wham bam ending. I really liked it but I think it has gotten a bit of flack on here for being both boring and in bad taste, I certainly didn't think so.

Sam 6th April 2015 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 443174)
It's very much it's own film but still very Ti West...bugger all happens then a wham bam ending. I really liked it but I think it has gotten a bit of flack on here for being both boring and in bad taste, I certainly didn't think so.

Just finished watching The Sacramentand I really enjoyed it too. It really cranks up the tension and has a genuine air of mystery and intrigue. When he gets it right, I think Ti West is a master of suspense and this is one of those occasions for me. I can see where the accusations of bad taste are coming from and there are times this pushes the envelope but not in a gratuitous like, say, 'A Serbian Film'.

Demdike@Cult Labs 6th April 2015 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam (Post 443207)
Just finished watching The Sacramentand I really enjoyed it too. It really cranks up the tension and has a genuine air of mystery and intrigue. When he gets it right, I think Ti West is a master of suspense and this is one of those occasions for me. I can see where the accusations of bad taste are coming from and there are times this pushes the envelope but not in a gratuitous like, say, 'A Serbian Film'.

I'm going to have to pick this up. :nod:

plasterface 6th April 2015 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam (Post 443207)

I liked it but it's basically the Jonestown massacre they might as well as called it as such, Ti West hit and miss for me, enjoyed sacrament and house of the devil but cabin fever 2 was one of the most mean spirited pieces of shit i have seen, his contribution to abc's of death was an embarassement. Thought the inn keepers was a big fuss about nothing , the guy with the duck' arse hair style got on my nerves.

fuzzymctiger 7th April 2015 01:41 AM

I've been meaning to watch the works of Ti West for a while, specifically House of the Devil and the very interesting looking Sacrament.

As for pick ups recently, I can't be arsed taking photos because I always end up buying more before the last things arrived, not to mention the photos always **** up.

Since my last January post, I've picked up..

Jurassic Park trilogy steelbooks from Zavvi, one at a time as they went up.

Toxic Avenger 3 & 4 from an amazing fella in the UK who helped me get all 4 from HMV :) Shame they dropped the slipcases, but yeah the Melton art for 3 and 4 wasn't any good, I have the reverses displayed

Bloodthirsty Butchers, The Man with 2 Heads, Torture Dungeon, and Eerie Midnight Horror Show Code Red blus from Diabolik. Cost a pretty penny, and if I wasn't a collector of Code Red blus, I'd probably consider this a dud purchase, as EMHS was very odd and I'm too scared to the Milligan's after everyone telling me they're abysmal.

From the Arrow sale, The Girl Who Knew Too Much, Rabid Dogs, The Visitor, and The Incredible Melting Man. I then used my points (which were a hassle to get and I had to email them so they actually entered my account), to order the Blood and Black Lace steelbook. Neither orders have shipped...

From the market, the books of American Psycho (prohibited material I legally shouldn't have been able to buy in this country :tongue1:) and In Cold Blood.
Also picked up CDs of The Prodigy - Their Law (The Singles), Ministry - Filth Pig, At The Drive In - Relationship of Command. The Ministry and ATDI cds were 2 for $5, and Filth Pig was quite disappointing but Relationship of Command made up for it.

Also digitally after seeing a few of these at Soundwave Festival live
Godflesh - Streetcleaner (My left eardrum wasn't the same for 5 days, what I get for being 2 people from the barrier)
Fear Factory - Demanufactured, Obsolete (Possibly one of the best live shows I've seen that didn't need any theatrics)
King Parrot - Bite Your Head Off (Melbourne locals I've seen twice and loved to bits. Touring the US at the moment with Weedeater, see if you can)

And the ones I didn't see live, but just discovered recently and are amazing,
Slayer - Reign in Blood, Haunting the Chapel
King Diamond - Abigail, Them

demonknight 7th April 2015 09:29 AM

Messiah of Evil from Code Red in HD. :nod:

Rik 7th April 2015 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzzymctiger (Post 443238)
Slayer - Reign in Blood

Along with Metallica's Master of Puppets and Megadeth's Peace Sells...But Who's Buying (both also released in 1986), Reign in Blood is essential for any metalheads collection. I had it on vinyl when I was younger and damn near wore the thing out, slowing it down to attempt to learn the songs on guitar! :nod:

fuzzymctiger 7th April 2015 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 443249)
Along with Metallica's Master of Puppets and Megadeth's Peace Sells...But Who's Buying (both also released in 1986), Reign in Blood is essential for any metalheads collection. I had it on vinyl when I was younger and damn near wore the thing out, slowing it down to attempt to learn the songs on guitar! :nod:

I've been educating myself on the classics, after realising that for too long I only knew the names and not the songs (not so much in Metallica's case though). So I did some listening to their most played live songs worked out using setlist.fm, along with bands like Black Sabbath and other classics, to see whether I liked them, and to at least know their stuff.

In the case of Megadeth, I liked the stuff off Peace Sells, but the other stuff not as much, but boy did I enjoy Slayer. To attempt to learn anything from Reign in Blood? That's just admirable :rockon:

fuzzymctiger 7th April 2015 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonknight (Post 443248)
Messiah of Evil from Code Red in HD. :nod:

It's gorgeous, an amazing transfer for a visually stunning film. The improvement in quality over the old pan and scan actually made it a lot scarier, and made me appreciate it a lot more!