Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

MacBlayne 13th November 2015 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 468055)
That's probably why I hated it the first (and only) time I saw it!

I can't hate a film that ends a car chase on a motorway with a speedboat exploding. Or one that has corpses exploding on the highway like pinatas filled with ecstasy.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 13th November 2015 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBlayne (Post 468057)
I can't hate a film that ends a car chase on a motorway with a speedboat exploding. Or one that has corpses exploding on the highway like pinatas filled with ecstasy.

I just see it as vacuous and a huge waste of money. However, to each their own!

Stephen@Cult Labs 13th November 2015 08:18 PM

What Have You Bought Recently?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 468058)
a huge waste of money.

Tbh, you could say that about every film ever made.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 13th November 2015 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 468060)
Tbh, you could say that about every film ever made.

True, but I think instead of what other films could have been made with that $100 million, or even if the money was spent restoring and releasing 'lost' films (or ones which are only available in cut form) which require TLC and exposure to a wider audience.

Make Them Die Slowly 13th November 2015 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 468058)
I just see it as vacuous and a huge waste of money.

That applies to 99% of the films discussed here!

Stephen@Cult Labs 13th November 2015 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 468061)
True, but I think instead of what other films could have been made with that $100 million, or even if the money was spent restoring and releasing 'lost' films (or ones which are only available in cut form) which require TLC and exposure to a wider audience.

I don't see one film being more worthy of money spent on it than another (unless it's Twilight. Joke!). And after all, it's films like this that most people actually want to see, and make money for the studios, which at the end if the day, is all that really matters to them these days. I was meaning more about the money spent on any film would be better spent on more important things in the world (I know, a strange thing to say on a film forum [emoji4])

MacBlayne 13th November 2015 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 468061)

Well, we could tell Michael Bay that the missing footage from The Magnificent Ambersons has a topless women brandishing a rocket-laucher, and he probably would spend millions on tracking it down.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 13th November 2015 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 468065)
I don't see one film being more worthy of money spent on it than another (unless it's Twilight. Joke!). And after all, it's films like this that most people actually want to see, and make money for the studios, which at the end if the day, is all that really matters to them these days. I was meaning more about the money spent on any film would be better spent on more important things in the world (I know, a strange thing to say on a film forum [emoji4])

It's an interesting point, though, and goes back to the Romans with the 'bread and circuses' philosophy.

Without the blockbusters, would there be any independent/low-budget films made?

Stephen@Cult Labs 13th November 2015 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 468071)
Without the blockbusters, would there be any independent/low-budget films made?

Probably not. A bit like companies such as Arrow releasing the studio films to pay for the more obscure cult acquisitions.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 13th November 2015 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 468074)
Probably not. A bit like companies such as Arrow releasing the studio films to pay for the more obscure cult acquisitions.

I meant cinema, rather than the home video market, but I take your point.