Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

Demoncrat 5th April 2017 01:05 PM

Just acquired the Lars Von Trier laugh riot that is Breaking The Waves. It's got a comm!! :lol:

Also just ordered that It Came From Outer Space blu mentioned in the bargains thread :dance:

Frankenhooker 5th April 2017 01:08 PM

Fecking hell, I bet the commentary to Breaking The Waves is side splitting. ' Tee-hee, this is where I completely belittled everyone involved, oh, how we laughed'.

Sent from my PLK-L01 using Tapatalk

Demoncrat 5th April 2017 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankenhooker (Post 526964)
Fecking hell, I bet the commentary to Breaking The Waves is side splitting. ' Tee-hee, this is where I completely belittled everyone involved, oh, how we laughed'.

Sent from my PLK-L01 using Tapatalk

:laugh:
The one for Antichrist is great. Always found that the decent directors are part dictator :lol:

Rik 5th April 2017 02:15 PM

Manhunt arrived from Amazon via Music Magpie, cheers to Dem for the recommendation, gonna give it a spin tonight after my lessons :nod:

SymbioticFunction 5th April 2017 02:27 PM

Just ordered a UK blu-ray copy of Superman Returns for 6 pounds. I'd previously sold it off in one of my large purges of the blu-ray collection and have since regretted that decision.

Whilst I think that it's heavily flawed and would only award a 3/5 film score, there's still a lot to like. Brandon Routh makes for a great Superman, Kevin Spacey is an enjoyable villain, the film has a dark tone, it's good that the Williams score is re-used and the film has a couple of great Superman sequences (plane rescue and bullet in eye).

On the downside, there's just not enough action, the weak script has an unnecessary and unoriginal re-cap of Luthor's Superman 1 land plan and the choice to introduce a Superman child to the mix was a really bad idea that would have been highly problematic for future potential sequels.

It's also unfortunate that the film chooses to portray Superman as a creepy stalker, spying on Lane - he left Earth for 5 years without even saying goodbye, how or why would he be surprised or put out that Lane was in a new relationship?

Superman Returns - flawed and overlong (I suspect that children would find it boring) but still fairly enjoyable. An interesting take on Superman mythos even if some of the decisions taken were bad ideas.

Was heavily disappointed at the time of release as I had expected a killer movie after Singer's stellar work on the X-Men franchise and what was delivered was merely adequate. With hindsight, the film isn't as bad as it seemed at the time but it's not surprising that the franchise was completely rebooted instead of seeing sequels.

trebor8273 5th April 2017 02:57 PM

12 Attachment(s)
Delivery's over last few days.

Demdike@Cult Labs 5th April 2017 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 526978)
Delivery's over last few days.

Welcome back, Treb. We've missed you. :welcome:

platostotal 5th April 2017 03:26 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Another charity shop has put DVD/CD at 25p, too cheap to resist...

Justin101 5th April 2017 04:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 188939

Amazon Germany and Music Magpie!

Susan Foreman 5th April 2017 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by platostotal (Post 526987)
Another charity shop has put DVD/CD at 25p, too cheap to resist...

At that price, it's criminal

I hope you gave them a bit more as a donation