Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

Rik 9th August 2017 08:04 PM

I'd never heard of him, but after checking IMDb, he hasn't made anything I'd want to see anyway :lol:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 9th August 2017 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 545747)
I'd never heard of him, but after checking IMDb, he hasn't made anything I'd want to see anyway :lol:

He is one of the greatest living filmmakers in Europe, if not the world, known in Spain by his last name alone – most things were just have "A Film by Almodóvar" (or the Spanish equivalent) in the same way that people in the US and Britain would do with Tarantino, Lynch, Nolan, Cronenberg or Scorsese.

I think it shows how Anglocentric the British cinema system and media (aside from Sight & Sound perhaps) is that directors like Almodóvar, Aki Kaurismäki, Hayao Miyazaki and François Ozon are not widely known.

Rik 9th August 2017 08:22 PM

I've heard of some of his films, The Skin I Live In and Volver, just didn't know who directed them as they aren't of interest to me.

Demoncrat 9th August 2017 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 545741)
some charity shop finds.

Find! Larry Sanders on it's own is a haul etc ....;)

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 9th August 2017 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 545751)
I've heard of some of his films, The Skin I Live In and Volver, just didn't know who directed them as they aren't of interest to me.

That surprising. I would have thought The Skin I Live In would be attractive to everyone here – it's a brilliant mix of Cronenberg body horror, Eyes Without a Face and In a Glass Cage.

nosferatu42 9th August 2017 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 545747)

I'm not really drawn in by most of his films but i have seen a few, i have Matador (isn't the guy at the start wanking over Franco's 'Bloody Moon" on TV.)
and The skin i live in, i like both of those as they are quite dark.:nod:

Demoncrat 9th August 2017 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 545754)
That surprising. I would have thought The Skin I Live In would be attractive to everyone here – it's a brilliant mix of Cronenberg body horror, Eyes Without a Face and In a Glass Cage.

What he said. Easily one of the classier films I've seen in the last 10 years.

Demdike@Cult Labs 9th August 2017 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 545754)
That surprising. I would have thought The Skin I Live In would be attractive to everyone here

Oh it is. We fight among ourselves about who'll use the scalpel when we decide to take it from you.

Then Trebor sold it at CEX for the complete Everything that's ever been on tv box set, so gag's practicing using a butter knife instead.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 9th August 2017 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosferatu42 (Post 545755)
I'm not really drawn in by most of his films but i have seen a few, i have Matador (isn't the guy at the start wanking over Franco's 'Bloody Moon" on TV.)
and The skin i live in, i like both of those as they are quite dark.:nod:

Yeah. If I remember correctly, it's an unusual sequence because the bit of Bloody Moon which is used in that sequence was cut from the DVD release of Bloody Moon! How it got past the BBFC I'll never know.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 9th August 2017 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 545759)
Oh it is. We fight among ourselves about who'll use the scalpel when we decide to take it from you.

Then Trebor sold it at CEX for the complete Everything that's ever been on tv box set, so gag's practicing using a butter knife instead.

That explains the excruciating pain at the top of my forehead and around my eyes.

"Dammit, gag, leave me alone. Go and play with Samantha!"