Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

Paul@TheOverlook 11th February 2011 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper@Cult Labs (Post 127501)
Got both this and F in the to watch pile.:nod:

Can't beat EDEN LAKE for a good bit of Brit terror!

EDEN LAKE is great. so intense! When I saw it in the cinema there were people getting up and leaving throughout. :lol:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 11th February 2011 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul@Lovelockandload (Post 127512)
EDEN LAKE is great. so intense! When I saw it in the cinema there were people getting up and leaving throughout. :lol:

The very best experience I had of people leaving in the cinema was when I went to see Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels and I couldn't understand why there was a group of about six OAPs in front of us. Anyway, they sat through the beginning but, once it got to the discussion between the Cockney gangster and the two Scousers in the strip club, they got up in unison and walked out! My best guess is that they thought, by the title, that it was a John Wayne-type Western.

Anyway, back on topic and the last thing that I bought was Fright Night (inspired by watching Vamp).

Oh, and Eden Lake is a brilliantly intense and nasty horror film with brilliant performances by Michael Fassbender and Kelly Reilly.

BioZombie 11th February 2011 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper@Cult Labs (Post 127501)

Can't beat EDEN LAKE for a good bit of Brit terror!

Havr to agree Reaps Eden Lake is great! I should really pick up a copy at some point. Any one know if there's a BD out?

Paul@TheOverlook 11th February 2011 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 127513)
The very best experience I had of people leaving in the cinema was when I went to see Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels and I couldn't understand why there was a group of about six OAPs in front of us. Anyway, they sat through the beginning but, once it got to the discussion between the Cockney gangster and the two Scousers in the strip club, they got up in unison and walked out! My best guess is that they thought, by the title, that it was a John Wayne-type Western.

Anyway, back on topic and the last thing that I bought was Fright Night (inspired by watching Vamp).

Oh, and Eden Lake is a brilliantly intense and nasty horror film with brilliant performances by Michael Fassbender and Kelly Reilly.

Fassbender is even better in FISH TANK and HUNGER, two films I'd recommend wholeheartedly.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 11th February 2011 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul@Lovelockandload (Post 127519)
Fassbender is even better in FISH TANK and HUNGER, two films I'd recommend wholeheartedly.

I didn't really know what to expect from Fish Tank but was amazed by the performances and the quality of the screenplay and direction. As for Hunger, Fassbender is incredible in that and the well-publicised scene with him and Liam Cunningham who converse without a cut for what seems like 15 minutes is just outstanding.

Paul@TheOverlook 11th February 2011 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 127524)
I didn't really know what to expect from Fish Tank but was amazed by the performances and the quality of the screenplay and direction. As for Hunger, Fassbender is incredible in that and the well-publicised scene with him and Liam Cunningham who converse without a cut for what seems like 15 minutes is just outstanding.

It’s such a shame that he did the steaming pile of doggie-do that is JONAH HEX, a film that somewhat tarnishes his otherwise excellent track record.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 11th February 2011 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul@Lovelockandload (Post 127512)

That's when you know you've got a result! :clap:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 11th February 2011 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul@Lovelockandload (Post 127529)
It’s such a shame that he did the steaming pile of doggie-do that is JONAH HEX, a film that somewhat tarnishes his otherwise excellent track record.

I haven't seen that yet but have added it to my love film list out of morbid curiosity. I didn't care for Inglorious Basterds but Fassbender was really good in it although the film was completely stolen by Christophe Woltz' performance.

Paul@TheOverlook 11th February 2011 11:22 AM

I thought INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS was a great film...

JONAH HEX is awful and not even enjoyable in a “so bad it’s good” kind of way. It boggles the mind that the studio actually released the film in its present form, though I cannot imagine an extended or director’s cut version being any better, either. It’s definitely one of the worst big budget films of the past decade.

Gojirosan 11th February 2011 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 127398)
Some nice pick-ups there, Goji - which version of Solange did you get?

It's the Shriek Show one. I all ready have the 01 Italian disk, which I love, but the English audio track is unlistenable on it, and I have been dying to see it with the English soundtrack as it was shot in English and watching it in Italian doesn't quite sit right.