Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

Stephen@Cult Labs 18th May 2018 05:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 575879)
Traded some stuff into cex and got these.

I did the same. Traded a few things in my local, then went and got Rawhead Rex. :)

Attachment 204612

trebor8273 18th May 2018 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 575883)
I did the same. Traded a few things in my local, then went and got Rawhead Rex. :)

Attachment 204612

Haven't watched what my copy yet, think I'll watch it tonight.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 18th May 2018 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 575881)
Murder on orient express was pretty bad tbh,
Sam a huge fan of Agatha Christie and she said everything about this film was wrong .

I really liked Murder on the Orient Express. I hadn't read the book or seen any adaptations of the story, so didn't know anything about the setup, characters, or denouement. I thought Kenneth Branagh was an excellent detective and he impressed me as the first incarnation of Hercule Poirot I've seen (I haven't watched any of the TV films with David Suchet) and thought it was really well paced, scripted and so the characters were very well developed in a way that it kept me guessing until the end.

If it wasn't for Sam's input would your opinion be any different?

Demdike@Cult Labs 18th May 2018 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 575895)
I really liked Murder on the Orient Express. I hadn't read the book or seen any adaptations of the story, so didn't know anything about the setup, characters, or denouement. I thought Kenneth Branagh was an excellent detective and he impressed me as the first incarnation of Hercule Poirot I've seen (I haven't watched any of the TV films with David Suchet) and thought it was really well paced, scripted and so the characters were very well developed in a way that it kept me guessing until the end.

I thought it was pretty much a retread of the original film to be honest. If you like one you'll like them both.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 18th May 2018 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 575897)
I thought it was pretty much a retread of the original film to be honest. If you like one you'll like them both.

I thought that would be the case because it's not as if the screenwriter can make wholesale changes to the characters and denouement without upsetting the huge number of people. There's been various versions of other stories such as And Then There Were None (under different titles) as I understand it, they've remained fairly faithful to the source material with only some changes to the location, and whether they use the ending of the story or the ending to the stage play Christie wrote in 1943.

gag 18th May 2018 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 575895)

No because i just wasn't overly keen on it,
I don't sway on my opinion of films by what people say wether I like them the film or not

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 18th May 2018 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 575902)
No because i just wasn't overly keen on it,
I don't sway on my opinion of films by what people say wether I like them the film or not

I was just wondering because it seemed to me most of your post was about how Sam, as a big Agatha Christie fan, felt rather than any particular reason why you thought it was "pretty bad".

nosferatu42 18th May 2018 08:41 PM

3 Attachment(s)
This weeks charity shop finds.

Attachment 204623

Haven't seen this for years so it will be interesting to see what i make of it now.
Turned up in a charity shop yesterday. Which was cool as i thought i'd like to watch it again the other day after reading Mr B's review.

Attachment 204624

Never seen this.

Attachment 204625

Played and platinumed the trophy's on this but traded in at the time, i really enjoy these games so thought i'd give it another go for a £1.

MrBarlow 18th May 2018 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosferatu42 (Post 575907)
This weeks charity shop finds.

Attachment 204623

Haven't seen this for years so it will be interesting to see what i make of it now.
Turned up in a charity shop yesterday. Which was cool as i thought i'd like to watch it again the other day after reading Mr B's review.

Attachment 204624

Never seen this.

Attachment 204625

Played and platinumed the trophy's on this but traded in at the time, i really enjoy these games so thought i'd give it another go for a £1.

Hope you enjoy Dracula as much as i did Nos

Justin101 18th May 2018 08:52 PM

I'll let you all know what I thought of Murder... I think I'll be watching it tomorrow evening!

Having seen the trailer already I love the production design and direction. Lets face it, the actual story (no spoilers for those who don't know it) is pretty rubbish. I did really enjoy the Albert Finney version though.