Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

iank 10th September 2020 08:54 PM

I've pre-ordered season 1 of Sons and Daughters. Rather wonderfully, season 2 is already scheduled for December, which hopefully means we'll get them all done by the end of next year.
And a certain someone can't say a word now I know he likes Dallas... :tongue1::dance:;)

marvinnashsear 10th September 2020 09:43 PM

Wowhd just shipped Abel Ferrara's new film Tommaso and the Vestron Shivers. Haven't seen Shivers in decades. Looking forward to it.

Demdike@Cult Labs 10th September 2020 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 634923)
BSG Reboot :rockon:

I've had that very same set Treb has just purchased for about ten years and i'm yet to watch it. Only paid a tenner for it which is probably similar to what Treb's cost.

I saw the pilot three hour thing, loved it and never bothered with the rest. :lol:

Demdike@Cult Labs 10th September 2020 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 634922)
More for the Tv ark.

I'm sure i asked you this last time you bought the Hulk box set, but does it talk to you, Treb?

Mine says "You won't like me when i'm angry" or at least it did until the battery wore out. :lol:

Justin101 10th September 2020 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 634980)
I've had that very same set Treb has just purchased for about ten years and i'm yet to watch it. Only paid a tenner for it which is probably similar to what Treb's cost.

I saw the pilot three hour thing, loved it and never bothered with the rest. :lol:

It gets so much better after the pilot mini-series! It’s due a rewatch for me, but it’ll have to be after I’ve educated myself in other topics haha. It’s currently on BBC iPlayer.

nosferatu42 10th September 2020 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marvinnashsear (Post 634978)
Wowhd just shipped Abel Ferrara's new film Tommaso and the Vestron Shivers. Haven't seen Shivers in decades. Looking forward to it.

Shivers is my favourite early Cronenberg film,( before Videodrome) it always seems a bit vicious and punky, kinda reminds me of an early James Herbert novel like The Fog/ The Dark.
An outbreak of sex and violence.:woot:
And it's got Barbara Steele and Lynn Lowry in so all is well.:clap:

nosferatu42 10th September 2020 10:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Got this the other day.
When i saw it i felt i owed it to my inner teenage Goth.:lol:

Attachment 227604

Haven't actually got round to reading much but had a flick through, the main focus seems to be on Bauhaus, The Cure, Siouxsie and the Banshees with a side dose of The Mission and Sisters of mercy. Which is fine up to a point.

Other bands appear but Nephilim are sidelined and there is no article on early Cult stuff which i would have thought would be mandatory. Its ok but looked more impressive than it turned out to be.
Also no Damned, and yes i know they were more punk but they definitely had a goth phase.

I was kind of a second generation Goth, it was about 86 onwards so i'd missed the heyday but there was enough still going on to fuel the fire.

Of most interest though is that it has a listing of 100 essential goth songs, a lot of them i've never even heard.:scared:
It looks like they've basically taken one song from each band, so it's quite interesting as a pointer to other bands i am not familiar with.:cool:

I was aware of about 40ish bands listed.

I've spent the night listening to the first 20 songs listed and have liked quite a few, so i'm gonna go through the list bit by bit and indulge in a trip back to vibes of my misspent youth. :rockon:

Nordicdusk 10th September 2020 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosferatu42 (Post 634992)
Got this the other day.
When i saw it i felt i owed it to my inner teenage Goth.:lol:

Attachment 227604

Haven't actually got round to reading much but had a flick through, the main focus seems to be on Bauhaus, The Cure, Siouxsie and the Banshees with a side dose of The Mission and Sisters of mercy. Which is fine up to a point.

Other bands appear but Nephilim are sidelined and there is no article on early Cult stuff which i would have thought would be mandatory. Its ok but looked more impressive than it turned out to be.
Also no Damned, and yes i know they were more punk but they definitely had a goth phase.

I was kind of a second generation Goth, it was about 86 onwards so i'd missed the heyday but there was enough still going on to fuel the fire.

Of most interest though is that it has a listing of 100 essential goth songs, a lot of them i've never even heard.:scared:
It looks like they've basically taken one song from each band, so it's quite interesting as a pointer to other bands i am not familiar with.:cool:

I was aware of about 40ish bands listed.

I've spent the night listening to the first 20 songs listed and have liked quite a few, so i'm gonna go through the list bit by bit and indulge in a trip back to vibes of my misspent youth. :rockon:

Hope you post some videos on the what i am listening to thread of some of the lesser known bands you like.

nosferatu42 10th September 2020 11:16 PM

You may regret that.;)

iank 11th September 2020 02:58 AM

Arrived:

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/jv0AA...RM/s-l1600.jpg