Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

Dave Boy 13th December 2022 02:40 PM

2 Attachment(s)
ASSAULT.. oh yes. Suzy Kendall in HD :drool:

Picked up today from HMV

Attachment 243851

..And CEX store token for

Attachment 243852

g053584398 13th December 2022 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Boy (Post 679710)
ASSAULT.. oh yes. Suzy Kendall in HD :drool:

Picked up today from HMV

Attachment 243851

..And CEX store token for

Attachment 243852

I'd be interested in hearing what you think of the video on the Vampire Circus disc Dave.

Demdike@Cult Labs 13th December 2022 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by g053584398 (Post 679712)
I'd be interested in hearing what you think of the video on the Vampire Circus disc Dave.

Is there an alternative print with Shout or someone or is that the one and only?

Demdike@Cult Labs 13th December 2022 03:20 PM

2 Attachment(s)
A couple with Cex credit this afternoon.

g053584398 13th December 2022 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 679714)
Is there an alternative print with Shout or someone or is that the one and only?

I think it was Synapse who released the film on Blu-ray in the States, so I imagine it will be the same master for the UK release. I really don't know though.

Demdike@Cult Labs 13th December 2022 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by g053584398 (Post 679716)
I think it was Synapse who released the film on Blu-ray in the States, so I imagine it will be the same master for the UK release. I really don't know though.

The fact it's just been released by ITV suggests it won't be coming from anyone else anytime soon.

I had hoped Network might have had their hands on it.

Still waiting to see what they have in store for us via their Hammer deal.

Back with Vampire Circus i used to have it on dvd along with other films in two three disc sets from ITV / Carlton. Twins of Evil and Hands of the Ripper were others (released by Network hence why i thought Circus may also have been) The Uncanny was another. I'd love that on Blu. A highly underrated film in my opinion.

Justin101 13th December 2022 03:32 PM

The new UK one looks exactly the same as the Synapse one which is not a very good one unfortunately.

Demdike@Cult Labs 13th December 2022 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 679718)
The new UK one looks exactly the same as the Synapse one which is not a very good one unfortunately.

I had read something on those lines but wasn't 100% sure.

There's too much info regarding transfers knocking about. It can get really confusing.

g053584398 13th December 2022 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 679717)

Back with Vampire Circus i used to have it on dvd along with other films in two three disc sets from ITV / Carlton. Twins of Evil and Hands of the Ripper were others (released by Network hence why i thought Circus may also have been) The Uncanny was another. I'd love that on Blu. A highly underrated film in my opinion.

I still have both of those box sets. The Uncanny ia available from Severin on region-free Blu-ray. I haven't looked at it in a long time, but I seem to recall that it was a pretty solid release. It is also a favourite of mine from childhood.

Dave Boy 14th December 2022 10:07 AM

Okay, so the Vampire Circus UK release.

I have the DVD in the three disc Carlton box set so I'm basing it on that.

My opinion, it's not the disaster that everyone seems to be making out.
If you read the reviews on Amazon you would think that this is a major dumster fire. Some reviews point out faults that are just not there and to say the picture is so bad they had to turn the film off is just laughable.

The Blu ray is definitely an upgrade on the DVD. The thing is it's had no restoration. There are speckles of artifacts on screen right from the start with the Rank opening. It's not major by any means and hardly bothersome, it just looks like.. well a film!
The scene where the Count is restored and you see the stake hole closing has a few scratches but that's it.
Picture wise you can see there is an upgrade even if sometimes it seems just minor but it is there, and on the face close ups you can really see an upgrade.
So, it's not the perfect upscale you would expect from say, the likes of Indicator. It has it's faults but in my opinion it's a good release and it's the Blu ray I will be watching from now on. Chances are you are not going to get any better than this release on Blu ray, at least at the moment.