Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

PaulD 21st May 2011 07:06 AM

Just bought:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51kubB6wMLL.jpg

from Cult-Lab's very own antmumford

Stephen@Cult Labs 21st May 2011 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromonkey (Post 152088)
Missing In Action 1p
Delta Force 11p

A bargain there Pedro. :nod:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 21st May 2011 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 152114)
I don't have either film :lol:

You should really check the price comparison websites or somewhere like Amazon Marketplace and remedy that immediately! They are both brilliant and really important horror films which should be part of your 'education'!

Demdike@Cult Labs 21st May 2011 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 152169)
You should really check the price comparison websites or somewhere like Amazon Marketplace and remedy that immediately! They are both brilliant and really important horror films which should be part of your 'education'!

I agree wholeheartedly.

Scanners was the first video i ever got my parents to rent for me, and i have NEVER seen it since. Those were the days when you could rent Betamax videos.

Shivers on the other hand, i owned on video, but was always doubtful of the quality of the pic/ sound on the dvd - the sleeve always seemed "cheap" to me. Can you allay my fears?

pedromonkey 21st May 2011 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 152176)
I agree wholeheartedly.

Scanners was the first video i ever got my parents to rent for me, and i have NEVER seen it since. Those were the days when you could rent Betamax videos.

Shivers on the other hand, i owned on video, but was always doubtful of the quality of the pic/ sound on the dvd - the sleeve always seemed "cheap" to me. Can you allay my fears?

the picture on Shivers is pretty good, not the best as it's a prism release and they're well known for low grade PQ but for some reason they put some work into this release. Until Arrow decide to release it, it's the best version available in the U.K at the moment and if i'm right it has an interview or introduction from Cronenberg himself..

Demdike@Cult Labs 21st May 2011 01:11 PM

Thanks Pedro, it sounds like a decent release, i will pick it up soon.

Is Scanners actually any good?. All i really remember from back then was a head explosion early doors, then another at the end.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 21st May 2011 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 152180)
Thanks Pedro, it sounds like a decent release, i will pick it up soon.

Is Scanners actually any good?. All i really remember from back then was a head explosion early doors, then another at the end.

Scanners is a excellent horror film with great writing and direction from David Cronenberg and there is much more to the film than exploding heads!

As for Shivers, the DVD isn't exactly reference quality, but it is a decent release with more than reasonable AV quality and a fine example of Cronenberg's early 'body horror' work which would continue throughout his career.

Both have been out so long they are properly available for very little money and the Scanners three film box set is worth buying as the two sequels are well worth watching, though not as memorable as the first film. If you're unsure, stick with DVD as they are coming out on Blu-ray shortly.

nekromantik 21st May 2011 01:39 PM

Got my black swan blu yesterday :)
BUT sainsburys still have not shipped my True Blood season 3 blu set!!!
I am not happy as they said first it will be shipped Thursday and then they said Friday and then Saturday.

All online retailers ship it before release so why cant they!

Demdike@Cult Labs 21st May 2011 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 152185)
Scanners is a excellent horror film with great writing and direction from David Cronenberg and there is much more to the film than exploding heads!

As for Shivers, the DVD isn't exactly reference quality, but it is a decent release with more than reasonable AV quality and a fine example of Cronenberg's early 'body horror' work which would continue throughout his career.

Both have been out so long they are properly available for very little money and the Scanners three film box set is worth buying as the two sequels are well worth watching, though not as memorable as the first film. If you're unsure, stick with DVD as they are coming out on Blu-ray shortly.

Thank you. That will also go on my list to buy.

Don't know about you guys, but i have a long list of films to buy, and do a search every few days and pick up the least expensive ones, along with the films i intend to purchase anyway.

pedromonkey 21st May 2011 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nekromantik (Post 152190)
Got my black swan blu yesterday :)
BUT sainsburys still have not shipped my True Blood season 3 blu set!!!
I am not happy as they said first it will be shipped Thursday and then they said Friday and then Saturday.

All online retailers ship it before release so why cant they!

it all depends on when the sainsbury's warehouse gets it's stock in Nek.