Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree151406Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th November 2011, 06:00 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
"Permissive" is a great down beat, grubby film reeking of nicotine stained fingers and pints of mild.
Mmm, just like home for me

Midnight Video 26: The Great Silence, My Favourite Year and Brain Damage
Old 11th November 2011, 07:20 PM
Cult Acolyte

Expensive laptop be damned! Putting the dvd spend on hold was never gonna happen.

Just got the Flipside release of Voice Over, which sounds very much like 'my kind of thing'. Reckon I'll my another Flipside shortly, but which one . . . ?
Old 11th November 2011, 09:23 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippery Jack View Post
Expensive laptop be damned! Putting the dvd spend on hold was never gonna happen.

Just got the Flipside release of Voice Over, which sounds very much like 'my kind of thing'. Reckon I'll my another Flipside shortly, but which one . . . ?
Try "Requiem for a Village" if you've not already seen it. It's kind of like a pre-industrial Fred Dibnah crossed with "Night of the Living Dead" and a smidge of "Psychomania". Better yet, double bill it with "Here's a Health to the Barley Mow" also from BFI for a magical evening of Wyrd Britain.
Old 11th November 2011, 09:41 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Try "Requiem for a Village" if you've not already seen it. It's kind of like a pre-industrial Fred Dibnah crossed with "Night of the Living Dead" and a smidge of "Psychomania". Better yet, double bill it with "Here's a Health to the Barley Mow" also from BFI for a magical evening of Wyrd Britain.
Yeah I've got Requiem on my rental list, so think I'll wait for it to arrive from that. I'd forgotten about the Barley Mow disc, Sight and Sound did an extensive feature on it a few issues back. Is it worth a purchase you reckon . . . ?
Old 11th November 2011, 10:03 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippery Jack View Post
Yeah I've got Requiem on my rental list, so think I'll wait for it to arrive from that. I'd forgotten about the Barley Mow disc, Sight and Sound did an extensive feature on it a few issues back. Is it worth a purchase you reckon . . . ?
It's well worth a punt if you like Morris Dancing. Some of the silent footage looks so exotic, it's hard to imagine it's from England. I'm a huge fan of folk music/dance and customs so I loved it but I could imagine over two discs it could become a chore if you're not into it. That said, "Oss Oss Wee Oss" on disc two is a must if you have even the slightest interest in "The Wicker Man" and where all the singing and dancing comes from. Click on the "pirate" Moving History
Old 11th November 2011, 10:46 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Got these 2. Couldn't believe DR GIGGLES is on blu. What a film!!

bdc and dream demon like this.

Blu Rays ---- Vinyl ---- For Sale / Trade ---- Blu Spaghetti
Old 11th November 2011, 10:52 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaxaca View Post
Got these 2. Couldn't believe DR GIGGLES is on blu. What a film!!

I just bought Dr Giggles on dvd. Didn't want to be stuck with Otis.
bdc likes this.
Old 11th November 2011, 11:09 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
I just bought Dr Giggles on dvd. Didn't want to be stuck with Otis.
Hehe, I don't think I'll bother watching Otis, never heard of it, I only wanted Dr. Giggles. Got it for £7 off an ebay seller.

Also just got these funky 3D glasses for F13pt3. £1.39 on ebay...

Blu Rays ---- Vinyl ---- For Sale / Trade ---- Blu Spaghetti
Old 12th November 2011, 01:12 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Had a BD shop for the missus' birthday and the little man's 1st birthday today, picked up the three
Twilight films, The Lion King, Fantastic Mr Fox and a cheeky Easy Rider for myself
bdc likes this.
Old 12th November 2011, 09:17 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
It's well worth a punt if you like Morris Dancing. Some of the silent footage looks so exotic, it's hard to imagine it's from England. I'm a huge fan of folk music/dance and customs so I loved it but I could imagine over two discs it could become a chore if you're not into it. That said, "Oss Oss Wee Oss" on disc two is a must if you have even the slightest interest in "The Wicker Man" and where all the singing and dancing comes from. Click on the "pirate" Moving History
Yeah I'm fascinated by folk, but mainly on a superficial level, the costumes and historical imagery etc. My local art gallery (Walsall) did a big folk exhibition a few years back that was pretty amazing. Needless to say, I love The Wicker Man! It's a shame the remake has already been taken, I'd love to see another UK take on the material that really delves into the folky side of it, and it's place in society today . . .

Like this? Share it using the links below!