Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree151421Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th April 2024, 03:47 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
Bought this from a stall in Bolton ?10, can anyone shed any light on it as in are any of the episodes cut, censored, etc etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
That version is complete it?s only the highlights version that had the edited episodes, it?s a good box set I have it also.
Sadly, yes - there are edits to this set:

Rewind @ www.dvdcompare.net - Comic Strip Presents (The): Series 1 (TV) (1982-83)

- "The Supergrass" is the US version which is about 8 minutes shorter than the UK version

Director Peter Richardson had also made his own 'director cuts' of various episodes:
  • "South Atlantic Raiders" - several lines of dialogue cut, pacing is tightened towards the end
  • "South Atlantic Raiders, Part II: 'Argie Bargie!'" - Numerous scene re-arrangements, horizontal shot flips, and nearly 8 minutes removed, including the recap of the previous installment and most of Stan?s speech at the end
  • "Oxford" - overall tightened pacing and a scene removed in which Hannah threatens to expose Professor Breeze
  • "Les Dogs" - scenes shortened here and there, including the shootout between rival families
  • "Wild Turkey" - entire cold open removed, dancing scene shortened, and farewell scene shortened
  • "Space Virgins from Planet Sex" - some dialogue trims, scene removed in which the space rats receive the exploding jigsaw puzzle from under the door
  • "Queen of the Wild Frontier" - multiple scenes shortened and rearranged
  • "Four Men in a Car" - dialogue between Helen and Steve where he tries to sell her a new computer.

It's still a cracking set tho

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 6th April 2024, 04:26 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

The BBC Episodes don't count

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 6th April 2024, 04:29 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Thanks, no one wants anything cut but guess few slight trims isn't that bad for a whole boxset costing ?10, I never properly watched it at the time so I'll have fun watching it now.
Susan Foreman likes this.
Old 7th April 2024, 01:03 PM
Cult Addict

Blind buy from Cex this morning. 20240407_140223.jpg

Last edited by J Harker; 7th April 2024 at 05:41 PM.
Old 8th April 2024, 02:07 PM
Cult Master

Bit of a blow-out in the Powerhouse sale (3 for UK$15)

* Berserk - Blind buy, but I am interested in the Tom Baker extra features
* Crimewave - I know it is not regarded as a classic, but I love it. Sam Raimi and Bruce Campbell... you can't go wrong!
* Corruption - Blind buy, but I am interested in seeing Peter Cushing in (what I hope is) a 'gore movie'. Also, I love 'Les Yeux Sans Visage' and I want to see a UK take on the movie
* Santo vs. Infernal Men / Santo vs. Evil Brain - Both blind buys. They are the US versions, but apparently they are region free. I already have 'Santo vs The She Wolves' in my collection, and I need to build up my Mexican lucha libre wrestler films
* The Wrong Box - Another blind buy, but I wanted a stupid comedy for when I need to watch something that I don't have to think about!

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 8th April 2024, 11:44 PM
Cult Acolyte

Arrived:

Old 9th April 2024, 12:36 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
Bit of a blow-out in the Powerhouse sale (3 for UK$15)

* Berserk - Blind buy, but I am interested in the Tom Baker extra features
* Crimewave - I know it is not regarded as a classic, but I love it. Sam Raimi and Bruce Campbell... you can't go wrong!
* Corruption - Blind buy, but I am interested in seeing Peter Cushing in (what I hope is) a 'gore movie'. Also, I love 'Les Yeux Sans Visage' and I want to see a UK take on the movie
* Santo vs. Infernal Men / Santo vs. Evil Brain - Both blind buys. They are the US versions, but apparently they are region free. I already have 'Santo vs The She Wolves' in my collection, and I need to build up my Mexican lucha libre wrestler films
* The Wrong Box - Another blind buy, but I wanted a stupid comedy for when I need to watch something that I don't have to think about!
Corruption is not quite as gory as you may have heard but it has its moments, Peter Cushing is definitely more vicious than normal and it is a spin on Eyes without a face, also it kind of veers into home invasion territory later on, it is definitely odd and interesting.

Some of it was shot in Seaford where an ex girlfriend of mine lived, Cushing kills a girl on the beach at one point and i've practically sat on the same spot.

I didn't actually know Crimewave had been released. i've got vague memories of watching it on TV and thinking it was mental. I'd quite like to see it again.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 9th April 2024, 08:41 AM
Cult Addict

First order from the Powerhouse sale. Basically the contents of the third Hammer boxset i missed out on originally.
Powerhouse are one company I've no qualms about paying P&P. Even with shipping it still works out less than ?6 a title.
Stranglers of Bombay
Yesterday's Enemy
The Terror of the Tongs
and
The Camp on Blood Island
Screenshot_20240409_093957_Samsung%20Internet.jpg
Old 9th April 2024, 05:35 PM
Cult Acolyte

81qWzitoUSL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Had not seen this in years. Picked up in HMV. Bat s**t crazy movie with an all star cast enjoying themselves in various comedy scenes.
Very much enjoyed watching the movie again in a nice Blu ray picture and a great soundtrack.
Blu ray has a 40 min making of featurette which highlights the behind the scenes craziness of what went on with interviews with cast and crew.
Old 10th April 2024, 02:22 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Italian 4K UHD of Dario Argento's Dracula arrived. Had a look and even though it's a 2K upscale, the present detail still thrashes my older two blu-rays. No hdr on this if anyone is wondering. Quite pleased with my purchase. I know the film is pretty much hated but controversially, I actually prefer it to quite a number of other Italian horror films (for example, Fulci's Manhattan Baby).

Like this? Share it using the links below!