Like Tree23917Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd May 2016, 07:20 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
Season 2 certainly gets better as it goes along and I'd certainly recommend giving it a shot - if you can stomach the awful soap opera filler with Evelyn and James that is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post

The first half of the second season is the same quality as the first season but, once the killer's identity is revealed, it loses most of the unknown and turns into into a very different kind of show, with more emphasis on the camp soap opera, but still one which is superbly acted, brilliantly written, and cleverly directed.
So, differing views, that's interesting. B_E thinks it improves later but Nos prefers the first half.
Old 3rd May 2016, 07:29 PM
Cult Veteran

I almost included Sex and the City as well, but I left it out since the first season and the fifth season aren't great but I do agree that the writing is fantastic, very quotable dialogue and the storylines were actually interesting. The final season was particularly good!

I also missed out The Simpsons because while it was essential TV for a good few years it's definitely out-stayed it's welcome by about 10 seasons!
keirarts likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 3rd May 2016, 08:30 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
So, differing views, that's interesting. B_E thinks it improves later but Nos prefers the first half.
I prefer the murder mystery/horror elements that made the first season so great than the soap opera storyline which followed the killer's identity being revealed six episodes from the end.
Old 3rd May 2016, 08:37 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I prefer the murder mystery/horror elements that made the first season so great than the soap opera storyline which followed the killer's identity being revealed six episodes from the end.
The Windom Earle story arc which leads up to the finale, in which Lynch returned to direct, was certainly a return to form. I agree that once Laura Palmer's killer is revealed the show does fizzle out a bit.
Old 4th May 2016, 07:55 AM
Cult Addict

Could do a much bigger list without difficulty. Have tried to do a mixture here.

incredible-hulk.jpg Vintage-TV-ad-for-Kolchak.jpg

wire.jpg invaders.jpg

Babylon-5.jpg Masters-of-Horror.jpg

twilight zone.jpg TheOuterLimits-Screenshot-old.jpg

lostroom.jpg welcome-to-twin-peaks-1200x628-facebook.jpg
Old 4th May 2016, 08:18 AM
Cult Acolyte

Alright i'll wing it.

10. Futurama- Can't really be bothered to write a blurb but its good
9. Tales of the Crypt - Really good horror anthology from a great source but so many episodes fall flat or feel heaps longer than their short run time, preventing it from being higher up.
8. Aqua Teen Hunger Force - Quite possibly the most demented humor on TV.
7. Goosebumps - VIEWER BEWARE YOURE IN FOR A SCARE. DONT CARE IF ITS HALF CANADIAN, ITS FUN
6. American Horror Story S1&5 - 3 is good but too different to the others and the less said about 2 and 4 the better. Season 1 and 5 are solid ghost/haunted house stories with a great all star cast and great thrills and mystery.
5. The Simpsons S4-11 - Before is too wierd and falls flat, after is just bad. The golden era of the show provided constant laughs and heartwarming moments, as well as some truly absurd plots and gags.
4. Ash vs the Evil Dead - Bit slow and off at the start but by half way through it ramps up the gore, humor and action and becomes the sequel to the first two Evil Dead movies you always wanted.
3. X Files - except the god awful finale to Season 10, what a mess, no way to recover from that.
3. True Detective S1 - So eerie, beautiful and intelligent.
2. Gravity Falls - Sure, its a Disney cartoon, but think Twin Peaks meets X Files with the fun of your final years of childhood. It's endlessly entertaining with a great cast, fantastic mystery, hilarious humor and is just very well thought and planned out.
1. Twin Peaks - Television at it's finest in my opinion, the first season is just perfect, as is the first half of the second season. Sure the second half strays into soap territory once the killer is revealed, it's still interesting, and the last 3 episodes are fantastic, leading into an emotionally devastating and mind destroying finale that (used to) leave you screaming about why they never continued. Also, that the series gave rise to the amazing Fire Walk With Me, is also another achievement of the series, which adds a whole new dimension to the series in regards to character depth and emotion, as well as even more weirdness. TV at its finest, bring on Season 3!

Fuzzy's Sale/Trade Thread! - Blu, DVD, Boxsets (TV/Movie), Anime, Manga
Old 4th May 2016, 08:28 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymctiger View Post
Alright i'll wing it.

10. Futurama- Can't really be bothered to write a blurb but its good
9. Tales of the Crypt - Really good horror anthology from a great source but so many episodes fall flat or feel heaps longer than their short run time, preventing it from being higher up.
8. Aqua Teen Hunger Force - Quite possibly the most demented humor on TV.
7. Goosebumps - VIEWER BEWARE YOURE IN FOR A SCARE. DONT CARE IF ITS HALF CANADIAN, ITS FUN
6. American Horror Story S1&5 - 3 is good but too different to the others and the less said about 2 and 4 the better. Season 1 and 5 are solid ghost/haunted house stories with a great all star cast and great thrills and mystery.
5. The Simpsons S4-11 - Before is too wierd and falls flat, after is just bad. The golden era of the show provided constant laughs and heartwarming moments, as well as some truly absurd plots and gags.
4. Ash vs the Evil Dead - Bit slow and off at the start but by half way through it ramps up the gore, humor and action and becomes the sequel to the first two Evil Dead movies you always wanted.
3. X Files - except the god awful finale to Season 10, what a mess, no way to recover from that.
3. True Detective S1 - So eerie, beautiful and intelligent.
2. Gravity Falls - Sure, its a Disney cartoon, but think Twin Peaks meets X Files with the fun of your final years of childhood. It's endlessly entertaining with a great cast, fantastic mystery, hilarious humor and is just very well thought and planned out.
1. Twin Peaks - Television at it's finest in my opinion, the first season is just perfect, as is the first half of the second season. Sure the second half strays into soap territory once the killer is revealed, it's still interesting, and the last 3 episodes are fantastic, leading into an emotionally devastating and mind destroying finale that (used to) leave you screaming about why they never continued. Also, that the series gave rise to the amazing Fire Walk With Me, is also another achievement of the series, which adds a whole new dimension to the series in regards to character depth and emotion, as well as even more weirdness. TV at its finest, bring on Season 3!
Thats the spirit Fuzz! See you put True Detective Series 1 on your list too. Have you seen series 2?
keirarts and fuzzymctiger like this.
Old 4th May 2016, 08:39 AM
Cult Acolyte

Top 10 US Shows? Hmm, I think I can manage that:

1 Buffy the Vampire Slayer
2 The X Files
3 That 70s Show
4 Twin Peaks
5 Seinfeld
6 Newsradio
7 Soap
8 Person of Interest (new entry!)
9 Angel
10 Fringe
Old 4th May 2016, 09:15 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Thats the spirit Fuzz! See you put True Detective Series 1 on your list too. Have you seen series 2?
Not yet actually, I watch it with my family so it's a bit slow going, otherwise I would have finished both seasons a while ago.

However, I think its acceptable with anthology shows to split up the seasons because they're so wildly different, American Horror Story for example. Seasons 1 and 5 are amazing however 2 and 4 are absolutely horrible and 3, whilst very enjoyable, feels like a completely different show targetting a different demographic, think The Craft crossed with Mean Girls, which doesn't exactly fit in with the tortured souls and serial killers of 1 and 5
keirarts likes this.

Fuzzy's Sale/Trade Thread! - Blu, DVD, Boxsets (TV/Movie), Anime, Manga
Old 4th May 2016, 09:22 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymctiger View Post
Not yet actually, I watch it with my family so it's a bit slow going, otherwise I would have finished both seasons a while ago.

However, I think its acceptable with anthology shows to split up the seasons because they're so wildly different, American Horror Story for example. Seasons 1 and 5 are amazing however 2 and 4 are absolutely horrible and 3, whilst very enjoyable, feels like a completely different show targetting a different demographic, think The Craft crossed with Mean Girls, which doesn't exactly fit in with the tortured souls and serial killers of 1 and 5
I wondered if you were deliberately excluding series 2. It was rubbish, we didn't even get to the end. How it fell so flat next to Series 1 i don't know. Casting Vince Vaugn as a mob boss was a disaster i know that much.
keirarts likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!