Like Tree23917Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th September 2016, 11:24 AM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I have a longer shortlist for the 90's than i do for the 80's. The 90's were probably a different kind of sci-fi. More action orientated.

Can't believe you've opted for Threads. I could fill the 80's with Doctor Who if you are including tv productions.
Probably why mine is shorter - I'm not really a big action film fan.

Plus, a TV film is very different to a TV show or episode!
Old 20th September 2016, 11:28 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
Probably why mine is shorter - I'm not really a big action film fan.
Is there some correlation between length and being an action film fan?
Old 20th September 2016, 11:38 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Is there some correlation between length and being an action film fan?
Yeah action doesn't 'do it for me'

It's the same with horror in a lot of ways though, and I use the 'action' argument when theorising why I'm not as huge a fan of Dawn of the Dead as some people seem to be, what with it being more of a horror/action hybrid.

It could also be that I haven't seen as much '90s sci-fi as '80s, and re-checking my Criticker stats that seems to be the case - I've nearly seen double in the '80s of what I've seen in the '90s where sci-fi is concerned.
keirarts and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 20th September 2016, 11:41 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Yeah action doesn't 'do it for me'

It's the same with horror in a lot of ways though, and I use the 'action' argument when theorising why I'm not as huge a fan of Dawn of the Dead as some people seem to be, what with it being more of a horror/action hybrid.

It could also be that I haven't seen as much '90s sci-fi as '80s, and re-checking my Criticker stats that seems to be the case - I've nearly seen double in the '80s of what I've seen in the '90s where sci-fi is concerned.
I've seen more 90's than 80's as it was my cinema boom time. Everything from My Favourite Martian and Tank Girl to Strange Days and Starship Troopers.
keirarts likes this.
Old 20th September 2016, 12:00 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
I've seen more 90's than 80's as it was my cinema boom time. Everything from My Favourite Martian and Tank Girl to Strange Days and Starship Troopers.
The early 2000s was probably my cinema boom time - I used to go several times a week (often twice or three times a day).

In the '80s, there seemed to be a mini-boom in regards to sci-fi horror thanks to Cronenberg, Carpenter, and films like Re-Animator, as well as more dystopian and post-apocalyptic sci-fi films thanks to the success of The Road Warrior, which seem to fit my wheelhouse a lot better. The '90s in comparison, as mentioned, seemed to be more action focused, meaning I've been less enthused to check some of the stuff out despite growing up in that particular decade.
Old 20th September 2016, 12:13 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
The early 2000s was probably my cinema boom time - I used to go several times a week (often twice or three times a day).

In the '80s, there seemed to be a mini-boom in regards to sci-fi horror thanks to Cronenberg, Carpenter, and films like Re-Animator, as well as more dystopian and post-apocalyptic sci-fi films thanks to the success of The Road Warrior, which seem to fit my wheelhouse a lot better. The '90s in comparison, as mentioned, seemed to be more action focused, meaning I've been less enthused to check some of the stuff out despite growing up in that particular decade.
I've ignored all sci-fi horror. It's dull putting From Beyond, The Thing, The Fly and Re-Animator in every other top 10.
Old 20th September 2016, 12:37 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
I've ignored all sci-fi horror. It's dull putting From Beyond, The Thing, The Fly and Re-Animator in every other top 10.
Blame the guy who comes up with the topic ideas then

[I'm personally loving these sci-fi decade lists though]

For me a 'top 10' is exactly that: my top 10 favourite films which I consider fit the topic in question, irrelevant of whether I've listed them umpteen times before on other lists - otherwise it's just 'random films I like' rather then the top 10.

I generally feel we've had a great variety of topics with minimal cross-over though so don't see it as being an issue.
Old 20th September 2016, 12:54 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Blame the guy who comes up with the topic ideas then

[I'm personally loving these sci-fi decade lists though]

For me a 'top 10' is exactly that: my top 10 favourite films which I consider fit the topic in question, irrelevant of whether I've listed them umpteen times before on other lists - otherwise it's just 'random films I like' rather then the top 10.

I generally feel we've had a great variety of topics with minimal cross-over though so don't see it as being an issue.
You make a good point here.

It's all in the eye of the beholder. I see The Thing, The Fly and Re-Animator as horror rather than sci-fi anyway. They are all horror films with science fiction elements whereas say Scanners and Videodrome are science fiction with horror elements.

So just because you won't see The Thing in my top ten and you will see Starman perhaps is due to these reasons.

The way i look at it with you B_E is where do you shelve your Thing blu? Sci-fi or horror?

Knowing you it will be under Carpenter or the letter 'T'.
Old 20th September 2016, 01:17 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
You make a good point here.

It's all in the eye of the beholder. I see The Thing, The Fly and Re-Animator as horror rather than sci-fi anyway. They are all horror films with science fiction elements whereas say Scanners and Videodrome are science fiction with horror elements.

So just because you won't see The Thing in my top ten and you will see Starman perhaps is due to these reasons.

The way i look at it with you B_E is where do you shelve your Thing blu? Sci-fi or horror?

Knowing you it will be under Carpenter or the letter 'T'.
Exactly - which is great in a lot of ways as even though you may sometimes disagree with people's list choices it makes for some good variety to see how individuals classify certain films when these topics are announced.

I've always detested rigid genre classification and am very flexible in terms of how I classify films, especially horror as I see so many facets within the genre.

To use your examples above, I would have no qualms putting The Thing, The Fly or Re-Animator in a horror or sci-fi list as each film exhibits large doses of both genres.

As for your question regarding The Thing, my old DVD used to be classified under the letter 'T' when I used to arrange my collection alphabetically, but now the Blu lies under 'U' for Universal as I arrange my Blu collection alphabetically by distributor.

I could never arrange by genre as too many films have too much cross-over and would be a nightmare to organise.
Old 20th September 2016, 01:20 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Exactly - which is great in a lot of ways as even though you may sometimes disagree with people's list choices it makes for some good variety to see how individuals classify certain films when these topics are announced.

I've always detested rigid genre classification and am very flexible in terms of how I classify films, especially horror as I see so many facets within the genre.

To use your examples above, I would have no qualms putting The Thing, The Fly or Re-Animator in a horror or sci-fi list as each film exhibits large doses of both genres.

As for your question regarding The Thing, my old DVD used to be classified under the letter 'T' when I used to arrange my collection alphabetically, but now the Blu lies under 'U' for Universal as I arrange my Blu collection alphabetically by distributor.

I could never arrange by genre as too many films have too much cross-over and would be a nightmare to organise.
By distributor?

Wow!!!

What happens if you can't remember who distributed a film? I suppose you have to look it up online.

Like this? Share it using the links below!