Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree23917Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th January 2017, 03:37 PM
Seasoned Cultist

I've had a pint with Christopher Smith. I was in the pub before a Bristol Rugby match and he was already in there, I bought him a beer and a chatted for about 30 minutes. Really nice fella, I didn't talk to him about film too much because barring Triangle Im not a fan. Top bloke though.
Old 18th January 2017, 04:24 PM
Cult Addict

At a stretch I might even add the Goosebumps film with Jack Black as my eleventh. While it's a kids film it is very good and has some cracking monsters. Slappy the ventriloquists dummy is a creepy little bastard.
Old 18th January 2017, 04:32 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
At a stretch I might even add the Goosebumps film with Jack Black as my eleventh. While it's a kids film it is very good and has some cracking monsters. Slappy the ventriloquists dummy is a creepy little bastard.
I thought some bits were a bit too scary for kids when I first saw it. It seemed a lot tamer the 2nd and 3rd times
I love that film!!

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 23rd January 2017, 10:31 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Thanks for some great contributions to the last topic. You did yourselves proud.

Something a bit different this week.

Which 10 Horror Films Would You Recommend to a new viewer or member of the forum?

Old 24th January 2017, 07:04 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Which 10 Horror Films Would You Recommend to a new viewer or member of the forum?
It depends on who they were!
Old 24th January 2017, 07:11 AM
Cult Addict

Assuming the hypothetical new viewer has not seen many or any horror films the picks are fairly mainstream starter material....

Reanimator_poster.jpg psycho.jpe

suspiria.jpe Dawn_of_the_dead.jpg

L'aldilÃ*-poster.jpg texas chainsaw.jpe

hammer dracula.jpe evil dead 2.jpe

return of the living dead.jpg Cat_People_poster.jpg

I'll try and think up a list of more obscure stuff for the viewer who has seen all the main titles and wants something different.
Old 24th January 2017, 12:06 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I had a list of my top 10 comedy horrors made up and ready to post but it seems to have disappeared. Without doing too much research, I think these were the films on it:
  • Young Frankenstein
  • Evil Dead II
  • An American Werewolf in London
  • Shaun of the Dead
  • Re-Animator
  • Braindead
  • Gremlins
  • Dead Snow
  • Return of the Living Dead
  • Killer Klowns From Outer Space
Old 24th January 2017, 01:46 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Tried to avoid the most famous horror films:

10 - America's Bubba Ho-tep
9 - France's Switchblade Romance
8 - Russia's Night Watch (2004)
7 - Australia's The Reef
6 - Spain's Rec 2
5 -Britain/America's The Descent
4 - Spain'sThe Orphanage
3 - Spain's Rec
2 - Italy's The Beyond
1 - Italy's Dellamorte Dellamore
Old 24th January 2017, 02:38 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
If they were completely new to horror and needed a 10 film 'education' in order to quickly pick up the various subgenres and engage with people on this forum, I would recommend the following:

The Exorcist – it is the greatest horror film ever made and just about every supernatural horror made since 1973 has its roots in William Friedkin's masterpiece.
Scream – perhaps a little left field, but the self-referential aspect of Kevin Williamson's script and Wes Craven's direction provides a lot of signposts to other 'must watch' films. I found it extremely helpful when I was relatively new to the genre.
Nosferatu – probably the best adaptation of Bram Stoker's novel Dracula and a film which is a great entry point to silent cinema, another treasure trove of classics.
Night of the Living Dead – proof that films can be made cheaply and with inexperienced cast members as long as the script is good, the locations effective, and the payoff rewarding.
The Blair Witch Project – 'found footage' films are often dismissed, but this shows they can be uncomfortably effective and don't have to cost the earth or have cheap jump scares to terrify.
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre – it may be a slasher film, a commentary on the Vietnam war (Romero arguably was doing the same thing with Night of the Living Dead), but everything you need to know about the importance of framing, scoring, and editing the film is here.
Suspiria – it may not be a giallo, but it is probably the best introduction to Italian horror cinema and can be re-watched and analysed multiple times, whether you are watching for the visuals or the use of music.
Cannibal Holocaust – I know I already covered the 'found footage' films above, but this is the great entry point to the cannibal cycle of films in all their excess and cruelty.
Psycho – perhaps the most perfect serial killer film and something which shows the importance of black humour, the use of colour (the subtle change from white clothing and accessories to black ones) and audience manipulation.
Frankenstein – I was torn between this and the sequel, but this seems a logical extension of Nosferatu and a superb introduction to the Universal Horrors. Bride of Frankenstein may be a better film, but it is almost meaningless if you haven't seen the 1931 adaptation of Mary Shelley's novel.
Old 24th January 2017, 02:54 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Excellent post, Nos.
J Harker likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!