Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree23917Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th January 2017, 11:55 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Perhaps you youngsters should actually sit down and watch some horror for a change instead of wank like Manchester in the Canal.
Old 18th January 2017, 12:00 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

I'm only a few years younger than you Dem

Tucker & Dale has been on my 'to watch' pile for ages just never got around to it. I'll definitely check some of them out though, Fido is a zombie dog isn't he?

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 18th January 2017, 12:01 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I'm only a few years younger than you Dem

Tucker & Dale has been on my 'to watch' pile for ages just never got around to it. I'll definitely check some of them out though, Fido is a zombie dog isn't he?
No, he's Billy Connolly.
J Harker likes this.
Old 18th January 2017, 12:01 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
I notice Whale's The Old Dark House is on a few lists. Whilst it is a fave of mine i can't say i've ever laughed whilst watching it, even if it is classed as a comedy of manners.

As for An American Werewolf in London? I'm sorry but that's one of the scariest films i've ever seen. It's about as funny as being in a lonely pub on your own when all the locals start to look like they want to kill, bugger, sacrifice, chop you up into little pieces for the local butchers shop (delete as applicable).
Ach! If I'd known you were in my town.....

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 18th January 2017, 12:04 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
No, he's Billy Connolly.
I wonder where I got that idea from?! I have pictured an entirely imaginary film in my head, but when I saw the poster for Fido it was the one I thought it was but I got the details wrong completely!
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 18th January 2017, 12:07 PM
Cult Master

Going thru my collection, I have had to come up with two lists.

1 - Films that were marketed as being 'comedy horror films':
  • The Evil Dead - The original one, of course. Yes, it's a pure horror film, but there is a vein of humour that runs thru it a mile wide
  • Theatre Of Blood - All Vincent Prince films are made with a huge slice of ham, but in this film it is perfectly placed. If anyone can play a hammy Shakespearean actor, and make it over-the-top (but stay within the boundaries), then that person is Price
  • Little Shop Of Horrors - The 1986 version, especially in the directors cut, which features the original ending
  • Buffy The Vampire Slayer - Not so much the film, but included more for the television series. Some of the episodes were screamingly hilarious
  • Braindead - 'Your mother ate my dog'. 'Well, not all of it!'. What's not to like? Extreme gore, zombies and funny dialogue. I just wish no-one ever gives director Peter Jackson a big budget to make a film with. Who knows what rubbish he will come up with?
  • American Werewolf In London - When it was first released, a lot of people didn't get it. The horror fans didn't like the fact that it contained humour, while the people who went to see the comedy film didn't like the horror within. Me - I loved it then, and I love it now
  • Re-Animator - Squishy!
  • Mr. Vampire - I had to include a foreign film, and this is a classic. Again, many Western viewers didn't understand it because the depiction of the Eastern vampire is so different to what 'we' know
  • The Return Of The Living Dead - Brains and naked Linnea
  • Frenzy - Hitchcock's penultimate film, and a jet black comedy. Hilarious, especially the scene in the potato truck!
  • The League Of Gentlemen - Another television show that is very funny, and benefits from a cast that are fans of classic horror films

2 - I'm not actually sure if these ones are comedy horror films, but I personally find them hilarious either because they are so bad; they are so excessive or they just appeal to my sense of humour.

Even tho I have listed them here, I have them all in my collection (except for the first one), so I have enough love for them to buy them in the first place, and then to keep them instead of giving them straight to the charity shops at the first opportunity
  • Dirty Weekend - Michael Winners film. I saw it at the cinema, and I thought it was awful...until I decided to watch it as a comedy, and then it took on a whole new meaning, and I realised it was a work of genius. If ever a film is screaming out for an Arrow/88Films/Shameless release, it's this one
  • Blood Feast - Come on! The gore is so over the top, and the acting is so abysmal, HG Lewis must of had his tongue firmly in his cheek when he made this
  • Demons - The Lamberto Bava film. How can you take it seriously? The amount of gore alone lifts it out of the ordinary, and then there are all the laughable events that happen - a motorcycle and samurai sword in a cinema lobby, and a helicopter that crashes thru a roof? Must be a comedy
  • The Devils Rejects - Another film which is so excessive, it has to be a joke. Don't get me wrong - I love this film, but again I ask, how can this be a serious film?
  • Psycho - One of the greatest films ever made, but Hitchcock must have been having a joke when he made it. It's Hitchcock playing with the audience, and it's more enjoyable if you understand the game and join in with the laughs
  • The Texas Chainsaw Massacre - See my comments for 'Psycho'. Whether Toby Hooper meant to make a comedy, I don't know, but Gunner Hansen certainly played at as one, skidding around the corner when chasing Marilyn Burns. And then there is the dialogue: 'Look what your brother did to the door'. Priceless
  • Zombie Holocaust - It fails in the first few minutes when a man leaps out of a window, and the arm breaks off the dummy when it hits the floor. There's no coming back from that, and a classic laff-fest is unleashed
  • Friday 13th - Another one that suffers from being so excessive. It's impossible for me to take it seriously
  • Slaughter High - Is it meant to be a comedy? Is it meant to be a genuine horror film?? Either way, it's funny!

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 18th January 2017, 12:34 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Evil Dead Trilogy - 3 for the price of 1. Sue me! "Groovy"

American Werewolf in London - Most definately a horror-comedy and one of the very best because the horror is so chilling. The comedy isn't there to lighten the terror, but it is full of humour and humourous lines. "A naked American man stole my balloons!"

Braindead - "I kick ass for the Lord!"

Severance - "Shit, I've left Gordon's foot on the coach... sorry mate."

Dance of the Dead - "But i don't know how to fire a machete"

Fright Night - "I have just been fired because nobody wants to see vampire killers anymore, or vampires either. Apparently all they want to see are demented madmen running around in ski-masks, hacking up young virgins."

Re-Animator - "Who's going to believe a talking head?"

The Cottage - "Oh, come on!"

The Frighteners - "Get back in the goddamn ground you unorganized grab-asstic gob of teleplasmic shit!"

Dog Soldiers - "I hope i give you the shits!"
Old 18th January 2017, 12:34 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Excellent post, Susan.
Susan Foreman and J Harker like this.
Old 18th January 2017, 12:36 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadite View Post

The Frighteners - "Get back in the goddamn ground you unorganized grab-asstic gob of teleplasmic shit!"

Dog Soldiers - "I hope i give you the shits!"
Damn! Forgot about The Frighteners.

I've never seen Dog Soldiers as a comedy. Might just be me though.
Justin101, keirarts and Deadite like this.
Old 18th January 2017, 12:50 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Interesting to read, though I might have to be drunk on the popes blood to consider TCM a comedy. I laugh like a drain every time I watch TODH though. Takes all sorts etc

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Like this? Share it using the links below!