All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree23917Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st March 2016, 10:31 AM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
So to clarify, infection films excluding zombies? But we're allowing vampires? Do these lists have to stick within the horror genre?
I think it's ok to go outside horror with this one many if the topics will be more open from here on in to avoid repeat listings I think that's the best way to go forward. What's the general view on this.
keirarts and J Harker like this.
Old 1st March 2016, 10:46 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Once again, in no particular order -

I DRINK YOUR BLOOD – Primo seventies grindhouse about a hacked off kid who infects a bunch of hippie satanists with rabies by injecting meat pies full of the stuff. Not the best public information film about the dangers of infection, but definitely one of the pivotal down-to-the-knuckle exploitation horror flicks of its era.

CRIMES OF THE FUTURE – I could've gone for virtually any early – mid period Cronenberg flick, which, it could be argued, all model themselves on ideas about infectivity and contagion, though not always pandemic. In this, he's still in his austere 'underground' phase, and its an inhospitable but always interesting exploration of the gender specific 'Rouges's Malady'.

PONTYPOOL – Radio station siege scenario with an infection which is transmitted by language. Maybe it plays out in pretty much standard B Movie fashion, but conceptually it's at least nodding towards William Burroughs.

THE CHILDREN (1980) – OK, so it's about a radiation leak rather than a true infection, but I've been waiting for a chance to slip this on a list ever since 'zombies' came and went. As you can guess, it's about killer kids rampaging in their small American town. It's not very good, but it does have that mesmerising grindhouse feel to it. I seem to remember that the kids all have black fingernails or something? There's something really brutal and a bit heart rending about the fact that the only way they can be stopped is by cutting off their hands.

ISOLATION – Another one which is probably only on this list by the skin of its teeth, 'Isolation' is really about the effects of a wonky experiment in the artificial insemination of cattle. There are concerns about a possible outbreak at one point, hence the farm where it's set is quarantined. Whatever, it's a powerfully atmospheric exercise in glum claustrophobia, and its images of dank rural decay impact as much as the overt, 'Alien'-esque horror aspects.

SEPTIC MAN – See my review, coming up later today!

THE GRAPES OF DEATH – Jean Rollin has an eco-message for us all in what amounts to his attempt at the zombie sub-genre. They're not explicitly zombies however, hence I feel able to include it. I like the way that, although he seems to be trying for a different approach to horror, he can't shake the dreamy feel of his other movies. In other hands it'd be yet more action horror yadda yadda, but with Rollin at the helm it's still sparse, slow, haunting and suffocating.

WILD BEASTS – A spoiled water supply leads to animals freaking out and going on the rampage in Franco Prosperi's swansong. Again, I'm taking liberties with the list criteria here just to bump up a title I want to include, but at least it has to do with contamination, even if no microorganisms are involved. It's a pretty wild movie, dotted with sleazy moments, and again one of those films I find myself watching despite having an aversion to the real animal violence on display, which is as deplorable as ever.

THE CARRIER – A very strange film re-animated by Code Red a few years back. If the set-up sounds standard – a guy poses an infection based threat to his isolated small town home, and the township divides around him as a result – the way it plays out isn't typical at all. Can't remember specifics, but I seem to recall loads of random-seeming religious imagery and something about cats. Really must go back and check this one out again.

EBOLA SYNDROME – Sleazy Cat 3 trash about a dude who causes an ebola outbreak after numerous acts of cannibalism and rape. I'm not sure how it all joins up, but it's a pretty intense, mean spirited ride.
Old 1st March 2016, 10:53 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Isolation is a terrific choice Frankie.

It's a film i've been wanting to get in a list somehow, but you've beaten me to it.

I was going to place it in a top 10 backwoods horror list but it ain't happened yet.

To be honest i'd never have thought of it for this list, so i won't put it in.
keirarts and Frankie Teardrop like this.
Old 1st March 2016, 11:01 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Isolation is a terrific choice Frankie.

It's a film i've been wanting to get in a list somehow, but you've beaten me to it.

I was going to place it in a top 10 backwoods horror list but it ain't happened yet.

To be honest i'd never have thought of it for this list, so i won't put it in.
Totally admit I was stretching things to get it in, but there is still perhaps an 'atmosphere of contagion' in the background of the film, maybe just exploiting the whole foot-and-mouth thing of the time, which I'm pretty sure was conceptually central to the whole film. It's a good one anyway, dead claustrophobic if memory serves.
Old 1st March 2016, 11:12 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default Top 10 Disease / Contagion Movies

Outbreak (1995)
Shivers (1975)
Panic in the Streets (1950)
The Signal (2008)
Cabin Fever (2002)
Perfect Sense (2011)
Splinter (2008)
Philadelphia (1993)
The Bay (2012)
Doomsday (2008)

I saw Outbreak at the cinema twice. It was the very first film of my four year run of going to the cinema every single Sunday afternoon (And some Thursday evenings) I absolutely loved the film and it was a long time before it got displaced as my number one film from these cinema outings.

Had this top 10 included tv adaptations then you could say goodbye to to Doomsday and Black Death as The Mad Death (1981) would have taken the number 1 spot and Survivors (1975-78) the number 3 position.

EDIT - Black Death has now indeed gone as i originally forgot about the classic 1950 film Panic in the Streets.

Last edited by Demdike@Cult Labs; 1st March 2016 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Added an omission.
Old 1st March 2016, 11:23 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
I think it's ok to go outside horror with this one many if the topics will be more open from here on in to avoid repeat listings I think that's the best way to go forward. What's the general view on this.
If you limit it to horror it's going to get repetitive quite quick.
Old 1st March 2016, 11:26 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
If you limit it to horror it's going to get repetitive quite quick.
Agreed! Justin and Gold have already used the 28 Days films in their zombie lists so it will be intersting to see if they crop up again.
iluvdvds@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 1st March 2016, 11:45 AM
Cult Addict

Ok then
28 Days Later
28 Weeks Later
Cabin Fever
Isle of the Dead
Outbreak (this is one i was debating given its not a horror pic)
Doomsday
The Incredible Melting Man (bit of a stretch maybe)
Twelve Monkeys
The Crazies remake (original's rubbish)
And probably the biggest stretch,
Clown.
Old 1st March 2016, 11:50 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Isle of the Dead
Outbreak (this is one i was debating given its not a horror pic)
I did contemplate Isle of the Dead, being a big Lewton fan. but it's really about the Vorvolaka than any disease, in fact disease is only mentioned to deflect suspicion away from the Vorvolaka. I'm surprised you've actually seen it, J.

Outbreak is actually scarier than many of the films listed as horror, in my opinion.
keirarts and J Harker like this.
Old 1st March 2016, 11:58 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I did contemplate Isle of the Dead, being a big Lewton fan. but it's really about the Vorvolaka than any disease, in fact disease is only mentioned to deflect suspicion away from the Vorvolaka. I'm surprised you've actually seen it, J.

Outbreak is actually scarier than many of the films listed as horror, in my opinion.
I would argue that at the very least Isle is set against a backdrop of disease and like other Lewton films the identity of the true threat is ambiguous at best. Was actually one of the first films that came to mind.

Like this? Share it using the links below!