Like Tree23917Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd July 2018, 10:15 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
That's what i was having trouble with, wether they had to be screamers, or just appeared in a lot of horror films, or just favourite horror actresses.
The OP from Nos makes it pretty clear otherwise it would just be a horror actress thread.

I grew up with the scream queen era - Quigley, Bauer etc so want to do a proper list...now i've remembered the thread.

Too much football on tv together with work means i'm not on here too much at the moment. Lunch time for a few minutes tea time the same then after half ten when it's all finished.

Is that applause i hear?
keirarts likes this.
Old 2nd July 2018, 10:24 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

SCREAM QUEENS

Using the definition from my first post of the "female protagonist, someone who is in peril and sometimes (but not always) is the 'final girl' in slasher films" means at least one of these might not be considered a Scream Queen, but I felt they fitted the definition – I may do a more 'conventional' list tomorrow.

1. Jamie Lee Curtis (Laurie Strode, Halloween) – probably my favourite 'final girl' and definitely my favourite in this category as well. Her character is so wonderfully written and I don't think her performance can't be faulted.
  2. Heather Langenkamp (Nancy Thompson, A Nightmare on Elm Street) – smart and determined, she proves a match for Freddy Krueger time and time again.
  3. Marilyn Burns (Sally Hardesty, The Texas Chain Saw Massacre) – surviving the shoot was an achievement in itself, but even more impressive is conveying the sheer terror of some remarkably intense sequences.
  4. Ellen Burstyn (Chris McNeil, The Exorcist) – perhaps an unconventional screen queen, but I feel her performance in William Friedkin's horror classic is one full of nuance, demonstrating vulnerability and strength, doubt and force of will, not to mention a capacity to scream extremely loudly!
  5. Janet Leigh (Marion Crane, Psycho) – although she is only in the film for the first act, the impression she leaves on the viewer (and Norman) is indelible and more than just a shower scene! An honourable mention for Vera Miles, who could have made this list for the same film.
  6. Fay Wray (Ann Darrow, King Kong) – perhaps the first scream queen in an American film, her interactions with 'the ninth wonder of the world' are extraordinary to watch today, so I've no idea how audiences in the 1930s would have reacted, and I don't think the film's final line would have such meaning if it wasn't for her performance.
  7. Catriona MacColl (Liza Merrill, The Beyond) – there are so many films whether performance deserves a place on this list, but I prefer this to the other two from Fulci's Gates of Hell trilogy and it's a shame actors in films like this aren't generally recognised like those in more mainstream films.
  8. Linnea Quigley (Trash, The Return of the Living Dead) – there's something brilliant about dancing naked in a graveyard which elevates this performance above the memorable ones in Silent Night Deadly Night, Hollywood Chainsaw Hookers, or Sorority Babes in the Slimeball Bowl-O-Rama, and many others.
  9. Sigourney Weaver (Ellen Ripley, Alien) – even if the was originally written for a man, it's impossible to imagine anyone but Weaver in (what turns out to be) the main role, as she demonstrates a survival instinct which neglects (Jones the cat aside) her male counterparts. I could equally have chosen the performance in Aliens because I love the relationship with Newt and the fight against that the Alien Queen, but the first film remains my favourite.
  10. Neve Campbell (Sidney Prescott, Scream) – appearing in all four films in this franchise and impressing in all, Campbell's portrayal of Prescott and her interactions with her numerous friends and the different Ghostfaces along the way are all really good, but the first stands out because the film seemed something different at the time and, though I like how Scream plays with the sequel rules and how it affects Sidney, the third act in the original film elevates her above many other worthy contenders.
Old 2nd July 2018, 10:51 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Scream Queens

Lina Romay (Lorna)
Marilyn Burns (TCM)
Barbara Steele
Hayley Mills (Twisted Nerve, Deadly Strangers)
Julie Harris (The Haunting)
JLC (Halloween)
Danielle Harris (Halloween 5)
Catriona MacColl (House, City, Beyond)
Ellen Sandweiss (Evil Dead)
Eihi Shina (Audition)

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 3rd July 2018, 09:59 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

On what is (at least where I live) looking like another sunny day, I was wondering whether to post another topic today for this upcoming week on whether most of you would rather spend the time working on a Scream Queens list if you haven't already, and enjoying the weather and/or a certain global sporting tournament.

Thoughts?
Old 3rd July 2018, 10:14 AM
Cult Addict

It's entirely up to you what to do, personally I'd say leave it until next week but that's just me

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk
Old 3rd July 2018, 11:20 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleakshaun View Post
It's entirely up to you what to do, personally I'd say leave it until next week but that's just me
Because of the outside attractions, and those of a sporting nature on TV, the number of lists posted last week was fewer than usual so I was thinking of leaving it a week so we can all chill out a bit and take our time over the Scream Queen lists, revising what we've already put if necessary.

I don't mind putting up a new topic, but if people are still working on the ones from last week (I'm in that category despite what I posted last night), it makes sense to give a bit more time so the lists can be well thought through and hopefully with a bit of description.
keirarts and bleakshaun like this.
Old 3rd July 2018, 11:21 AM
Cult Addict

I'm just needing a bit of time myself

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk
Old 3rd July 2018, 11:42 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Favourite Scream Queens.

Tiffany Shepis
Julie Strain*
Michelle Bauer
Monique Gabrielle
Debbie Rochon
Brinke Stevens
Regina Russell
Ginger Lynn Allen
Tammy Parks

Old 3rd July 2018, 05:15 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Awww .... I was looking forward to a new topic as I loathe tennis anyhow

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 3rd July 2018, 08:16 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Awww .... I was looking forward to a new topic as I loathe tennis anyhow
Hopefully there will be some new or revised lists for you to enjoy until a new topic is posted next week.

Like this? Share it using the links below!