Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree90Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th February 2018, 09:19 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Watched The Godfather & loved it to a degree, Brando and Pacino are amazing, the plot moves quickly until midway through & it is clearly responsible for all the hilarious Italian American stereotypes in later mafia films. My fave Coppolla is still Apocalypse Now. Will watch Godfather 2 hopefully by the end of the week.

Hard to explain, but while I understand why it's a classic, it is dated. Don't stone me lol! Though I definately want to watch more early Brando!

Watching Robin Hood Prince of thieves, having last watched it when I was 12 (so 26 years ago) and not enjoyed it as too talky & confusing!
It is considered to be a classic hollywood adventure, so I thought I'd try it again......

Oh dear, still not enjoying it. A good cast does not an engaging film make. Slow, confusing and too many characters. Must try the Errol Flynn version!
The Disney version is in my opinion the best version of Robin Hood!
Old 27th February 2018, 10:33 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Flynn film is a hoot ... and tenty times the excitement of that awful Costner dreck ahem. I too think The Godfather is dated ... but the second still holds its power imo ... enjoy!!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 28th February 2018, 06:44 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Thanks for the vote of confidence on the Flynn & Godfather 2! Picked up Dr Strangelove today! My pile of classics is huge! Will always have something to watch!
Demoncrat and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 10th March 2018, 08:39 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Watched The Maltese Falcon, having never gotten into any film noir (well, early noir) or Bogart. Absolute solid gold classic, fast moving, (unintentionally) funny at times and very clever. Loved seeing Peter Lorre in there, MUST check out more Bogart & similar noir movies, any recommendations welcome. To say Sam Spade is iconic is an understatement, he is essentially the blueprint of the hard boiled detective, amazing performances all round! 5/5

Harvey-James Stewart (after loving Rear Window & It's A Wonderful Life, am seeking out more) plays Elwood P Dowd ("here's my card....."), a very pleasant man who likes to drink & has a six foot plus rabbit ("he's a pooka") that only he can see. A very sweet and amazing film that deserves a lot of love, if you don't have a tear in your eye by the end of this one you're either dead or your tear ducts are blocked! Another amazing film! 5/5

Picked up It Happened One Night & Mr Smith Goes To Washington on blu today, looking forward to them!
Old 10th March 2018, 08:51 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostalgic View Post
Watched The Maltese Falcon, having never gotten into any film noir (well, early noir) or Bogart. Absolute solid gold classic, fast moving, (unintentionally) funny at times and very clever. Loved seeing Peter Lorre in there, MUST check out more Bogart & similar noir movies, any recommendations welcome. To say Sam Spade is iconic is an understatement, he is essentially the blueprint of the hard boiled detective, amazing performances all round! 5/5
There's some great Bogie Noir films out there, but two of my personal faves are The Big Sleep and Dark Passage.
Old 10th March 2018, 10:14 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

My favourite of the Bogart noir films.
Old 10th March 2018, 10:17 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostalgic View Post
MUST check out more Bogart & similar noir movies, any recommendations welcome. 5/5
I would recommend Casablanca to you (Lorre's in that as well)

However if you said you didn't like i'd be gutted as it's my favourite film...Ever!
profondo rosso likes this.
Old 11th March 2018, 09:49 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I would recommend Casablanca to you (Lorre's in that as well)

However if you said you didn't like i'd be gutted as it's my favourite film...Ever!
Solid, if slightly over-rated and a bit too melodramatic for my tastes.

I wouldn't listen to me though Nostalgic, as it's generally very highly regarded by the majority of film fans.
Old 11th March 2018, 10:08 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Have got casablanca on my to watch pile, on the lookout for The Big Sleep, In A Lonely place if I see them cheap
Old 11th March 2018, 10:31 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

A later one ... but Key Largo is one I would recommend as well ...

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Like this? Share it using the links below!