Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd September 2010, 07:12 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Super Happy DVD Shelving/Cabinets

Hi guys (and girls of course)

Kelly and I are currently in the process of selling our flat and upgrading to a house and the MAIN reason is so that I can finally have my 1000+ DVD/Blu-ray collection out on shelves rather than sitting tucked away in boxes in the damp cellar and loft.

The reason I've posted this thread is that I'd like to know what are the best types of shelving I should be getting. What is your collection displayed on? Where's the best place to buy reasonable priced units? etc etc.

Any help will be so greatly appreciated because I'd like to get an idea as to how much money I need to put by to get the right quality and quantity of shelving to help display my collection the best possible way.

I've had a look in Argos and IKEA etc. but I just can't decide what to get.

If you could post pictures of your setups and any links to stuff on sales or even if you know of anyone who's selling anything too. It will all help me get an idea.

Thanks in advance

Check out my wife and I's new travel blog www.wepackedourbags.com

My entire Blu Collection for sale: https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/dvd...tion-sale.html
Old 4th September 2010, 09:04 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Hi
I had a unit with 4sides that you could spin around when i lived at home,
But when ii moved it got damged in the process
Old 4th September 2010, 11:31 AM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I suppose it all depends on what style of storage devices you're looking for. I have all my dvds in wooden book cases, mainly for the fact that they hold between 100-200 dvds depending on the height of the shelving.
Old 4th September 2010, 11:51 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevoj View Post
I suppose it all depends on what style of storage devices you're looking for. I have all my dvds in wooden book cases, mainly for the fact that they hold between 100-200 dvds depending on the height of the shelving.
I guess I'm after the same thing really, I don't particularly want long thin ones as it means having to buy lots. I'd just like standard shelves that can showcase everything. Book cases would be ideal too. Have you got a pic of your set?

Check out my wife and I's new travel blog www.wepackedourbags.com

My entire Blu Collection for sale: https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/dvd...tion-sale.html
Old 4th September 2010, 12:33 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

i have two 6 shelve bookcases and a one 3 shelf bookcase. each shelf holds around 52 dvds and i have a small metallic unit with 5 shelves that holds 125 dvds.

here are three of them...

from left to right. tall bookcase, metallic unit, small bookcase.

http://www.cult-labs.com/forums/atta...s-dsc00869-jpg

this one is behind my door and a little difficult to get a photo off...

http://www.cult-labs.com/forums/atta...s-dsc00844-jpg
Old 4th September 2010, 01:46 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

I also have my DVDs on wooden bookcases.

The bookcases I've had since I was 8, and are backless. My parents bought them from John Lewis for my room, and I took them with me when I moved out and they have survived about 4 moves so far, with barely a scratch - which is pretty amazing.

They are pretty big too - each bookcase has six shelves, each shelf being able to hold about 50 DVDs (single faced) or 100 DVDs (double faced) - I have them double faced.

They are nearly full, so I've had to find other storage solutions too. I've got two glass fronted cabinets, one of which is nearly full as I use this for all my TV series boxsets and the missus' DVDs - no way am I putting Grease next to my DVDs (eh, steve?! )

The other, at the moment is pretty empty. the top shelf I've designated to my hardboxes, the second has my meagre Blu-Ray collection on it (12 Blus so far), the third shelf has music DVD, and the bottom shelf is full of my trades at the moment. I can see myself using this shelf unit just for Blu-Ray eventually, though.

I'll try and get some pics of the various units up later if I get a chance.
Old 4th September 2010, 02:25 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

This is what I have:

bookcase.jpg

£34.99 from Argos. They are easy to assemble and the each shlef can carry around 40 -50 dvds. Bugger to carry home though!

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter

Last edited by Pete; 4th September 2010 at 02:40 PM.
Old 5th September 2010, 10:32 AM
Cult Acolyte

Location: From the bowels of Newcastle Upon Tyne he came....to collect DVDs and BRs!
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by loops View Post
£34.99 from Argos. They are easy to assemble and the each shelf can carry around 40 -50 dvds. Bugger to carry home though!
I once owned about six of these Argos shelves but kept only a couple since downgrading living quarters from a house to a flat over three years ago. No more two bedrooms for me!

These storage units are indeed an ordeal to get back home and i needed a lift home in my dad's car everytime i purchased one!

I also noticed after a while that some of the actual shelves were starting to dip and i don't believe it was due to an excess of DVD storage.
I made sure not to overdo how many titles i kept displayed on each shelf.

So until i get my own place i have no choice but to box up every DVD and BR release i buy. At the mo there is no other option for me, i'm afraid.
Old 5th September 2010, 11:38 AM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by loops View Post
This is what I have:

Attachment 6640

£34.99 from Argos. They are easy to assemble and the each shlef can carry around 40 -50 dvds. Bugger to carry home though!
That the same ones I have. I've also got smaller, 3 shelf ones. I wasn't sure how many each shelf held.

And B.E. Get that Grease dvd proudly displayed. Of course, If it was Grease 2 that would be even cooler.
Old 5th September 2010, 03:00 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevoj View Post
And B.E. Get that Grease dvd proudly displayed. Of course, If it was Grease 2 that would be even cooler.

She hasn't got Grease 2 - not cool enough I guess...

Like this? Share it using the links below!