Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree6109Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th November 2012, 07:50 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

I think I must be the only one who isn't interested in any of them!
Old 19th November 2012, 08:00 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
Hey not everyone likes the same stuff...What type are you into?
Old 19th November 2012, 08:03 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrowFan View Post
Hey not everyone likes the same stuff...What type are you into?
Most things - I'm just not a big action film fan. I'm not complaining really, as my wish list is pretty huge anyway, so it's nice not to have to fill it with yet more titles on occasion!
Old 19th November 2012, 08:04 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Someone check to see if this man has a pulse!
Old 19th November 2012, 08:09 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Most things - I'm just not a big action film fan. I'm not complaining really, as my wish list is pretty huge anyway, so it's nice not to have to fill it with yet more titles on occasion!
Might this still of Claudia stir your interest...

Old 19th November 2012, 08:10 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrowFan View Post
Might this still of Claudia stir your interest...

I'm not sure about 'interest', but it might stir other things!
Criterion7 likes this.
Old 19th November 2012, 09:34 PM
Cult Addict

I know the film is the epitome of cool, but is the grosse point blank special edition out stateside any good?

Too late if it aint cause at £5.96 I thought i'd give it a go, I love the movie, its like Lloyd from say anything grew up to be a contract killer!
Old 19th November 2012, 09:50 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
I know the film is the epitome of cool, but is the grosse point blank special edition out stateside any good?

Too late if it aint cause at £5.96 I thought i'd give it a go, I love the movie, its like Lloyd from say anything grew up to be a contract killer!
No idea if the disc is any good. But think I'll have order it, along with High Fidelity.
Old 19th November 2012, 11:28 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post

Blu-ray.com review gives PQ 2.5 out of 5 which is a shame:

Disney's 1080p/AVC-encoded video transfer takes its high definition shot... and misses. Minted from what appears to be a dated, DVD-era master, the image suffers from overzealous edge enhancement and thick halos (some of which will cause even the most casual of viewers to take notice); inconsistent, occasionally off-putting contrast leveling; at-times unnatural, pink-tainted fleshtones; and a few brief but thankfully minor bursts of banding and artifacting. The edge halos are the most troubling issue, though, and make a nuisance of themselves from Blank's opening hotel-window hit to his final showdown with Grocer. Noise reduction and other filtering techniques have been utilized, but not too heavily employed, as evidenced by the film's generally pleasant veneer of grain and instances of notable fine detailing, some of which are quite impressive, all things considered. Still, softness and a slight pudginess is apparent, and only a portion of it traces back to Jamie Anderson's original photography. Yes, closeups are teeming with well-preserved textures and other nuances that simply didn't come through on DVD (even though midrange shots don't fare so well). Yes, colors are warmer, primaries more vivid, black levels deeper, and delineation the tiniest bit more revealing. And yes, however problematic the presentation may be, Grosse Pointe Blank's Blu-ray debut outclasses its DVD counterpart. Not by a whole lot, though, making the hit-or-miss upgrade as rewarding as it is disappointing. A new master would have, without a doubt, produced more dramatic results. Blank is yet another highly anticipated Disney catalog title doomed to years of bargain-priced limbo.

Check out my wife and I's new travel blog www.wepackedourbags.com

My entire Blu Collection for sale: https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/dvd...tion-sale.html
Old 19th November 2012, 11:57 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by antmumford View Post
Blu-ray.com review gives PQ 2.5 out of 5 which is a shame:

Disney's 1080p/AVC-encoded video transfer takes its high definition shot... and misses. Minted from what appears to be a dated, DVD-era master, the image suffers from overzealous edge enhancement and thick halos (some of which will cause even the most casual of viewers to take notice); inconsistent, occasionally off-putting contrast leveling; at-times unnatural, pink-tainted fleshtones; and a few brief but thankfully minor bursts of banding and artifacting. The edge halos are the most troubling issue, though, and make a nuisance of themselves from Blank's opening hotel-window hit to his final showdown with Grocer. Noise reduction and other filtering techniques have been utilized, but not too heavily employed, as evidenced by the film's generally pleasant veneer of grain and instances of notable fine detailing, some of which are quite impressive, all things considered. Still, softness and a slight pudginess is apparent, and only a portion of it traces back to Jamie Anderson's original photography. Yes, closeups are teeming with well-preserved textures and other nuances that simply didn't come through on DVD (even though midrange shots don't fare so well). Yes, colors are warmer, primaries more vivid, black levels deeper, and delineation the tiniest bit more revealing. And yes, however problematic the presentation may be, Grosse Pointe Blank's Blu-ray debut outclasses its DVD counterpart. Not by a whole lot, though, making the hit-or-miss upgrade as rewarding as it is disappointing. A new master would have, without a doubt, produced more dramatic results. Blank is yet another highly anticipated Disney catalog title doomed to years of bargain-priced limbo.

Ah well, I DID get it at a bargain price so no loss really, plus now I bought it get ready for the superior release to come out with a better transfer!

Like this? Share it using the links below!