Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Demdike@Cult Labs 22nd October 2017 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 555311)
I completely agree with you in that it is derivative, but very well made and hugely entertaining.

With the 28 Days Later meets Westworld meets Jurassic Park setup, I was anticipating an unoriginal yawn fest, but was very impressed by the whole thing.

I'm glad you enjoyed it too.

I don't think i've seen anyone mention it on here. Either good or bad.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 22nd October 2017 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 555313)

I watched it some time ago and meant to write something after I'd given it a second viewing, but haven't managed that yet.

bleakshaun 22nd October 2017 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosferatu42 (Post 555302)
Just thought i'd mention that Alejandro Jodorowsky's film 'Dance of Reality" is on film four tonight at 12.55 if anyone likes his stuff.

I'd watch it, but I'm up at 6 tomorrow

Sent from my MediaPad T1 8.0 Pro using Tapatalk

nosferatu42 22nd October 2017 08:17 PM

I really like 'El Topo', 'Holy mountain' and 'Santa Sangre' so will hopefully be able to stay up. This is apparently autobiographical, i've been wanted to see it for a while. Looks as though there's a sequel too called 'Endless Poetry'.:ghostclap:

bleakshaun 22nd October 2017 08:36 PM

Intruder
A group of people are on the nightshift at a supermarket. One of them gets abused by her ex boyfriend and then fights the staff. They kick him out and are.then told the store is shutting down. To make matters worse, someone is killing them off one at a time.
Ultimately this is a film of 2 halves, the 1st half starts off good, but for a while runs slowly however the 2nd half is where it picks up for the most part. Some good kills and appearances by both Sam and Ted Raimi. I'd say it's worth checking out.
7/10

Sent from my MediaPad T1 8.0 Pro using Tapatalk

Demoncrat 22nd October 2017 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosferatu42 (Post 555302)
Just thought i'd mention that Alejandro Jodorowsky's film 'Dance of Reality" is on film four tonight at 12.55 if anyone likes his stuff.

Film. Still haven't seen Endless Poetry.

Demoncrat 22nd October 2017 08:50 PM

I remember Intruder from the rental days *sighs wistfully*

This is another one my mate procured recently. Fingers xd!! :skull:

Justin101 22nd October 2017 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosferatu42 (Post 555341)
I really like 'El Topo', 'Holy mountain' and 'Santa Sangre' so will hopefully be able to stay up. This is apparently autobiographical, i've been wanted to see it for a while. Looks as though there's a sequel too called 'Endless Poetry'.:ghostclap:

It’s a trilogy I think with the final film forthcoming.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 23rd October 2017 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 555313)

I watched it recently and found it pretty entertaining too. :nod:

keirarts 23rd October 2017 06:49 AM

Happy death day

A slasher film crosses paths with Groundhog day as a drunken mess of a sorority girl is murdered then wakes up and relives the same day over and over.
Its a fun little film. Its totally bloodless which might be a deal breaker for saome however there was enough here to carry things for me. The central character is an awful person, however the actress manages to make her still relate-able especially when we discover why she's like this. The plot throws a few interesting twists into the mix and its well paced and fairly logical. I've not seen Geostorm but its probably better than that.

keirarts 23rd October 2017 06:57 AM

Happy death day

A slasher film crosses paths with Groundhog day as a drunken mess of a sorority girl is murdered then wakes up and relives the same day over and over.
Its a fun little film. Its totally bloodless which might be a deal breaker for saome however there was enough here to carry things for me. The central character is an awful person, however the actress manages to make her still relate-able especially when we discover why she's like this. The plot throws a few interesting twists into the mix and its well paced and fairly logical. I've not seen Geostorm but its probably better than that.

keirarts 23rd October 2017 07:03 AM

Killer Barbys

The killer BARBIES are a punk rock band who end up in some remote mist shrouded hell hole where a scythe wielding moron and his two dwarf kids are busy killing people off in order to revive the local horny vampire.
I recall this getting some iffy reviews back in the day but honestly its totally fine. There's copious nudity as one would expect as well as plenty of claret and a nice gothic atmosphere. Its got a real sense of irreverence to proceedings, almost like Franco is having his own little jab at the genre. Entertaining.

SilverSurfer 23rd October 2017 01:31 PM

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-UK7Vwh4Sqa...oul+poster.jpg

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/bd/4a/dd/b...rror-films.jpg

The Ghoul-Extended Version (1975)

Gotta love this low budget film,Peter Cushing is brilliant in this and with the extra scenes (approx 6 mins added) it is much better than the Theatrical version.

8/10

Demoncrat 23rd October 2017 04:29 PM

Is this a bootleg SS??

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 23rd October 2017 06:25 PM

Demdike@Cult Labs 23rd October 2017 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 555397)
The Orchard End Murder (1980)

66/100

I know nothing about this other than the BFI released it.

Is it a horror, thriller...? A curiosity? Why is it an 18?

66 isn't a great score from you, do you wish you'd waited until it was in a sale or was it a fine day one purchase, so to speak?

Basically any info would be really good, thank you.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 23rd October 2017 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 555398)
I know nothing about this other than the BFI released it.

Is it a horror, thriller...? A curiosity?

66 isn't a great score from you, do you wish you'd waited until it was in a sale or a fine day one purchase, so to speak?

It's a 50 minute TV-film that feels more '70s than '80s concerning a young woman who is murdered. The murder itself is quite nasty (and probably would have had viewers back then choking on their Pimms in horror) albeit a little tamer by today's standards (especially for well-worn horror fans such as ourselves). However, given the context of the rest of the film is still a stand-out scene. Whilst the film is reasonably short, it is a slow burn and atypically British - cricket, tea, and trains all feature. There is more of a focus on drama and the crime element than horror as such (however as mentioned the murder tilts more towards the horrific).

At face-value I'd probably have scored this one a 6, however there's just a vibe to it as with a lot of these flipside releases that tipped it over the edge to a 7... that said, it's nowhere near Psychomania or Symptoms territory for me, but is still an interesting curio that I am very much glad to own.

Demdike@Cult Labs 23rd October 2017 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 555402)
It's a 50 minute TV-film that feels more '70s than '80s concerning a young woman who is murdered. The murder itself is quite nasty (and probably would have had viewers back then choking on their Pimms in horror) albeit a little tamer by today's standards (especially for well-worn horror fans such as ourselves). However, given the context of the rest of the film is still a stand-out scene. Whilst the film is reasonably short, it is a slow burn and atypically British - cricket, tea, and trains all feature. There is more of a focus on drama and the crime element than horror as such (however as mentioned the murder tilts more towards the horrific).

At face-value I'd probably have scored this one a 6, however there's just a vibe to it as with a lot of these flipside releases that tipped it over the edge to a 7... that said, it's nowhere near Psychomania or Symptoms territory for me, but is still an interesting curio that I am very much glad to own.

Thank you. An excellent critique.

I fully get that 'vibe' thing you mention.

MrBarlow 24th October 2017 01:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The Girl With All The Gifts 2016

In a dystopian Britain, a fungal bacteria has turned people into zombies, some children who carry the pathogen are being kept in a base, observed and schooled until they loose control, 2 Marines, a doctor, school teacher and a child are outside in the open, can they survive and find refuge with others?.

I picked this up in Tesco's, never heard about ii, from start to finish this film never disappoints it is a low budget british movie, with a good Star cast Paddy Considine, Gemma Arterton and Glenn Close. Yeah it is a zombie movie but with a twist. The Outbreak is not seen or mentioned but the way the fungal bacteria affects people is based on accurate accountability on how it affects insects. This is definitely a one to watch except if there is pregnant women about unless you want to freak them out go for it.

keirarts 24th October 2017 07:36 AM

Tom Jane plays Wilfred James, a farmer whose wife is threatening to leave. As she owns the land she's planning on selling up so she can open a dress shop in the big city. Wilfred sets about turning his son against his mother and the pair of them kill her and hide her body down the well.
At first things seem to go smoothly and Wilf appears to have gotten away with murder. However things soon begin to turn sour as his son goes off the rails and he begins to notice more and more rats around the farm.
1922 is on Netflix and is certainly worth checking out. Its what I would call a slow burner feeling more like King took Delores Claiborne and fused it with a traditional ghost story and Lovecrafts the rats in the walls. It takes its time building up and is much a character study of Wilfred as it is a ghost story. Its ultimately a rewarding experience so long as you don't go into it expecting a ghost train.

Rik 24th October 2017 08:41 AM

I watched it last night too, completely agree with every word :nod:

Susan Foreman 24th October 2017 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 555398)
Basically any info would be really good, thank you.

I feel the same way when anyone just post a title, score, picture and/or trailer without saying anything about the film or television programme!

Justin101 24th October 2017 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 555440)
I watched it last night too, completely agree with every word :nod:

I'm going to watch it this week, I also need to watch Gerald's Game too, and TWD... and find time to study as well :lol:

...it's only 7 more days until Halloween...

It's almost time, kids. The clock is ticking. Be in front of your TV sets for the Horrorthon, followed by the Big Giveaway. Don't miss it. And don't forget to wear your masks. The clock is ticking. It's almost time.

Rik 24th October 2017 09:36 AM

1922 and Gerald’s Game would make a decent double bill, both SK films that are character studies :nod:

SilverSurfer 24th October 2017 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 555391)
Is this a bootleg SS??

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....0,1200_AL_.jpg

Taken from a VHS onto DVDr which is the full 93m version with all BBFC cuts restored, on the Taste of Fear label so yes.

The Ghoul (1975) - Alternate Versions - IMDb

Demdike@Cult Labs 24th October 2017 10:53 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverSurfer (Post 555451)
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....0,1200_AL_.jpg

Taken from a VHS onto DVDr which is the full 93m version with all BBFC cuts restored, on the Taste of Fear label so yes.

The Ghoul (1975) - Alternate Versions - IMDb

I have that vhs and Legend of the Werewolf.

When i reviewed them last year the only way i could get screengrabs was to actually take a photo of the tv screen.

SilverSurfer 24th October 2017 10:58 AM

Both worth seeking out.:)

Demdike@Cult Labs 24th October 2017 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverSurfer (Post 555454)
Both worth seeking out.:)

The Ghoul's fine but Legend of the Werewolf is pretty poor.

Kevin Francis sadly was not his father Freddie and both films sank without trace. There was a reason Tyburn only made three films...

SilverSurfer 24th October 2017 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 555455)
The Ghoul's fine but Legend of the Werewolf is pretty poor.

Kevin Francis sadly was not his father Freddie and both films sank without trace. There was a reason Tyburn only made three films...

Cushing saves the day on Legend imo.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 24th October 2017 04:30 PM

MrBarlow 24th October 2017 08:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Caddyshack 1980

At Bushwood country club, tensions run high between its members which result in a illegal money betting golf tournament.

With comedy actors, Chevy Chase, Rodney Dangerfield and Bill Murray combined you cant go wrong with this classic comedy caper directed by Harold Ramis. From start to finish your sides will be splitting with laughter. Its a film you will watch over again and never be bored.

There was rumours speculating that Bill Murray and Chevy Chase never got on due to a fall out on SNL, but their scene on this film was very professional and some of their induvidual scenes were drafted in at last minute and their lines were improvised that even other actors didnt know how to react. 10+

Demoncrat 24th October 2017 09:15 PM

"You can't KILL the golfers ..." :skull:

Black Christmas (1974, Bob Clark)

In anticipation of this BD ... am revisiting my Tartan Terror dvd. To my mind one of the great films of the 20th Century.
A hapless boob accidentally covers his festive tree with paint. Hilarity ensues as he tries to remedy this by stealing his (African American) neighbor's pride and joy ..... :skull:

Plus Fozzie Bear's in it :skull:

MrBarlow 24th October 2017 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 555506)
"You can't KILL the golfers ..." :skull:

Gophers, ya great git! Not golfers, the little brown furry rodents:skull:

MrBarlow 25th October 2017 01:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Caddyshack 2 1987

Business developer Jack Hartonian is persuaded by his daughter to join Bushwood but his antics annoy some of the members and it ends in a golf tournament.

This is not the best sequel made but not the worst, only Chevy Chase and the gopher from the first movie are in this. The downside to this movie, Harold Ramis didn't want to make a sequel but was forced to, Rodney Dangerfield wanted to do the movie but backed out and Bill Murray.

Comedian Jackie Mason stars in this as Jack and straight faced actor Robert Stack plays his nemesis Chandler Young. There is comedy elements from Randy Quaid playing a lawyer who shows someone how to put with a wedgie. Dan Aykroyd makes a appearance as the helpless ex Marine hired as a hit man with a squeaky voice. 6 out of 10.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 25th October 2017 04:42 PM

SilverSurfer 25th October 2017 10:48 PM

Vampyres (1974)

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....WL._SY445_.jpg

https://themaindamie.files.wordpress...b2eb.jpg?w=616

Great little film with lots of sex n violence.

keirarts 26th October 2017 07:46 AM

Bunnyman vengeance

If you told me that there would be three of these films back when the first one appeared on DVD I'd have called bulls*** on that prophecy. However here we are, part 3 of a series of low budget backwoods slasher flicks where the main selling point is that the lead psycho wears a bunny suit. In fairness the films are perfectly watchable, with enough nastiness behind it to appeal to the sort of people (namely me) that would sit through them and actually feel compelled to write about them online.
Part 3 is a lot more of the same. Bunnyman has a new group of like minded friends and they're doing a lot of the same kind of stuff. Abduction, torture, murder, the usual. At this point with the films you might find a bit of Deja vu creeping in. However there's some actual visual inventiveness at play including one point where the film turns into a Die Krupps music video for Machinist of joy! Certainly check it out if you liked the last two.

Red Christmas

Dee wallace plays a woman who must defend her family from the deformed kid she aborted who has grown up raised by pro-lifers.
While the film follows a lot of the tropes of the home invasion horror, this one is well worth watching. From the surreal suspiria-esque colour scheme, Dee Wallaces terrific performance. The Brutal death scenes and the genuinely dark tone to the film that leaves you feeling brutalised as the end credits roll. Its a great sucker punch of a film that deals with a thorny social issue running the film without feeling trite or forced. Definitely seek this one out.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 26th October 2017 04:34 PM

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 26th October 2017 04:39 PM

Dave Boy 26th October 2017 06:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 198086
A GHOST STORY (2017)

Just as he is about to move house with his wife, the man dies in a car accident.
In the hospital, the man sits up covered in his white blanket.
He walks the halls of the hospital, not entering the bright light doorway before him and heads home.
Back at home he watches his wife and over time she leaves but leaves a note in a crack in the wall. The ghost stays in the house watching the various people who live there come and go. The ghost continues to scratch at the wall to find the note..

I thought this was great. The ghost looks like the classic white sheeted figure.
It's sad to watch the ghost watching life after his death and the film time jumps many years as he stays in his old house.
The film is sometimes very slow moving as the camera lingers for a long time on various scenes but you do have to view this from the ghosts point of view as he stands watching.
So, a good film which leaves various themes and thoughts in your mind long after the film is over. :ghostclap: