Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179668Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th February 2012, 12:21 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
I'm really enjoying you reviews Frankie, have you considered starting your own review thread?
Thanks for your kind words, MTDS - big fan of your 'Sleazy Psychosis'!
Old 12th February 2012, 12:26 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I've seen Wolf Creek and Martyrs quite a few times and will happily watch them again. I've only seen Salo once, but thought it good enough to buy the Criterion Collection BD.

There are some films (Citizen Kane, Solaris, Tokyo Story etc) which many people will appreciate, but not enjoy, so will only watch once but other people will appreciate and enjoy. For you, maybe Martyrs and Wolf Creek fit into the first category.

As for We Need to Talk About Kevin, I have the BD to review, so will hold judgement on that for the time being.
It's the first time I've heard Citizen Kane being mentioned in the same sentence as Wolf Creek! I take your point - everyones taste is different but the experience of WC for me was akin to watching an afternoon shift at the slaughterhouse, ie not my idea of a good time. I'd be interested to know what draws you back to it once you know the nihilistic outcome.
Old 12th February 2012, 01:14 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handyman Joe View Post
It's the first time I've heard Citizen Kane being mentioned in the same sentence as Wolf Creek! I take your point - everyones taste is different but the experience of WC for me was akin to watching an afternoon shift at the slaughterhouse, ie not my idea of a good time. I'd be interested to know what draws you back to it once you know the nihilistic outcome.
John Jarratt's stunning performance? Greg McLean's tongue-in-cheek direction? The film's excellent pace? To name but a few...

Greetings!
Gojirosan likes this.
Old 12th February 2012, 01:32 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I guess your tolerance of gruelling horror is different to mine, hence my love of Martyrs, Wolf Creek and films like The Texas Chain Saw Massacre. As regards Wolf Creek, I watch it because of Greg McLean's writing and direction which takes you on an emotional journey en route to the 'was it truth or fiction?' ending.

As Prince_Vajda said, John Jarrett's performance is outstanding and the way in which he switches between lovable Australian rogue and complete psychopath is extraordinary, not to mention how he brings back the Crocodile Dundee reference in much more grim circumstances that when it was first raised.

Martyrs is very different as, watching it once you know how it ends and the twist at the end of the first act, makes you appreciate the performances even more and helps contextualise the violence and physical (and emotional) torture which one of the characters (I won't say which) undergoes during the film. Like Wolf Creek, it is intelligently written and directed with immense skill so, although watching them can't be a gruelling experience, it's something alike to do every so often.
Old 12th February 2012, 01:40 PM
Cult Master

Watched American Ninja last night. After not seeing this for years i was a little worried it might not live up to my memories but it did and more. Such a great action movie gonna watch the 2nd one later.

At the moment im watching Godzilla Final Wars. Its only recently i have dipped into the Godzilla movies. So far i must say im enjoying what i see better than that Hollywood rubbish.
Old 12th February 2012, 01:42 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

I too love both wolf creek and martyrs.
They are examples of what non US movies can be like if done right.
most horror these days comes from US and is either teen focused or low budget straight to video crap.

We Need To Talk About Kevin is amazing! I thought it was quite similar in tone to In A Better World which I loved also. They are very different movies with different stories but just like WNTTAK it has a dark cloud over you while you watch and the acting and direction is very good that it brings you into their world.

My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Old 12th February 2012, 02:16 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda View Post
John Jarratt's stunning performance? Greg McLean's tongue-in-cheek direction? The film's excellent pace? To name but a few...

Greetings!
Not forgetting the Outback itself. At times a place of stunning beauty at others a nightmarish landscape of hell. The films setting for me is an additional character in the film.

Whilst i'm on this subject director Mclean uses the rivers and landscape in his excellent follow up film Rogue to the same effect.
Old 12th February 2012, 03:09 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
I'd be interested to know what draws you back to it once you know the nihilistic outcome.
Because a film isn't just about the plot. You could extend that to all films - why watch it again when you know the story?

I've seen Wolf Creek (and Citizen Kane! ) several times and watch it because it's an excellent bit of film-making that I find rewarding to experience.
Old 12th February 2012, 04:10 PM
Active Cultist

Fair enough everyone, I appreciate these are well made and acted movies. I guess torture without hope of redemption is what I can't stomach/rewatch. Funny Games is the best example I can think of. Something like Frontiers which has equal ops slaughter and a revenge trajectory is the kind of grue film I can get behind.
Old 12th February 2012, 04:11 PM
Cult Master

"Citizen Kane" would be better if it had a metal/punk soundtrack, chainsaws and a good car chase!

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty

Like this? Share it using the links below!