All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179676Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th February 2012, 02:20 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseball Fury View Post
Nothing wrong with Michael Cera. His performance in Arrested Development (for three years no less) is an absolute masterclass in awkward, hormonal anxiety.

Great stuff.

So good he's given the same performance in every single thing he's done since.

Surely you have to ask if this is acting or just doing?

I think he's dreadful.

However, something that is not dreadful, indeed it is absolutely superb is The Reef, which I saw last night. What an amazing film. It's like Open Water, but good, and with characters you care about. Without doubt the most serious and tense (damn it's tense!) shark film I have ever seen. Essential viewing. I would genuinely put it up there with Jaws at the pinnacle of shark related films.
Old 6th February 2012, 02:22 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
So good he's given the same performance in every single thing he's done since.

Surely you have to ask if this is acting or just doing?

I think he's dreadful.
When Cera first arrived i really liked him, however i agree with you now, his performances are pretty much identical in every feature.
Old 6th February 2012, 03:04 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post

Final Destination 5 (2011) - Another tired retread in this series that ran out of steam several films back. This also serves as a kind of prequel as well, which is a nice twist, but nothing special. Overall it's a bit boring and brings nothing new to the table. I hope they either stop with this one or deliver something truly original to reboot the franchise.

Horrible Bosses (2011) - Three friends each have horrible bosses and plan a way to kill them. That's about it. It's not very good and certanly not funny. The only one really giving it his all is Colin Farrell, who surprised me at being such a sport to be made up to look like he did.
Disagree on both counts. I enjoyed both very much.
I dont ever watch typical Hollywood comedies or any comedy for that matter but I loved Horrible Bosses.

My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Old 6th February 2012, 04:03 PM
Ex-member

Phenomena (1984) - I picked up the Arrow Blu-ray recently, so I thought I'd give it a watch. It's never been one of my favourite Argento movies, but it's been so long since I last saw it I thought I'd give it another go. I did find it a bit better on this rewatch, but that awful score of heavy metal really gets on my nerves. Simonetti and Wyman both put in good turns though. Still not upper tier Argento (IMO), but it's not bad. The HD transfer from Arrow is exceptional though, absolutely terrific.

i have said before about Argento's choice of crap heavy metal music in PHENOMENA and OPERA
unnecessary and in parts ruins the films
agree as well, the BD is excellent
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 6th February 2012, 04:46 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
Robot Monster (1953) - Could this be the worst film ever made?
Wonderful movie!

Like 'Plan 9', it has been ruined by the Medved Brothers
Gojirosan likes this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 6th February 2012, 06:56 PM
Cult Acolyte

Go Go Tales
Strippers do their bit while other strippers / punters / employees etc argue a lot. Has Abel Ferrera ever made a good movie? Like New Rose Hotel this one also has decent actors ( Asia Argento, Bob Hoskins etc ) but even they seem to be making it up as they go along. Also like NRH this is almost unwatchable at times. Utter bollocks.
Old 6th February 2012, 07:56 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

ROAD HOUSE 2: An almost exact replica of the original, this time Dalton is dead and his brother's (?) bar is being targeted by crazy drug dealers led by an over acting Jake Busey. Dalton's son Shane, an undercove D.E.A agent goes to the bar when his uncle, Dalton's brother, is attacked and left in hospital and it's up to shane with the help of the local girl he's managed to snag to clean up the bayou of drug dealers once and for all. Utter Utter rubbish. There is no mention in the original film of dalton having a son, that was in 1989 and this film was made in 2006 so that would make his son 17 if he was the son of Dalton and the doc from the first film, nowhere near old enough to be a D.E.A agent. Everyone seems to be a martial arts expert too and it's missing a character like Wade Garrett played by Sam Elliot in the original. There are films that are so bad they're good but this was just plain awful and insulting to the memory of the first film. Swayze apparently left this project after creative differences, Wise choice Pat and R.I.P.
Old 6th February 2012, 08:32 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromonkey View Post
ROAD HOUSE 2: An almost exact replica of the original, this time Dalton is dead and his brother's (?) bar is being targeted by crazy drug dealers led by an over acting Jake Busey. Dalton's son Shane, an undercove D.E.A agent goes to the bar when his uncle, Dalton's brother, is attacked and left in hospital and it's up to shane with the help of the local girl he's managed to snag to clean up the bayou of drug dealers once and for all. Utter Utter rubbish. There is no mention in the original film of dalton having a son, that was in 1989 and this film was made in 2006 so that would make his son 17 if he was the son of Dalton and the doc from the first film, nowhere near old enough to be a D.E.A agent. Everyone seems to be a martial arts expert too and it's missing a character like Wade Garrett played by Sam Elliot in the original. There are films that are so bad they're good but this was just plain awful and insulting to the memory of the first film. Swayze apparently left this project after creative differences, Wise choice Pat and R.I.P.
And as for what had happened to Dalton....they got to be f*****g kidding!
Old 6th February 2012, 09:12 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromonkey View Post

I have never even heard of this what an F,IN joke. There is no way this movie needed a sequel It was just one of those one off great movies that needs to be left alone.
Old 6th February 2012, 09:27 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
And as for what had happened to Dalton....they got to be f*****g kidding!
i know right, no way in hell was dalton ever gonna bite the bullet by being shot by Jake Busey. He would have round house kicked the gun out of his hand. They turned one of the 80s most badass characters into a bit of a pussy. And the black pelican is no replacement for the double Deuce.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordicdusk View Post
I have never even heard of this what an F,IN joke. There is no way this movie needed a sequel It was just one of those one off great movies that needs to be left alone.
Stay well away from this. Not even Will Patton could save it. I think it was made by Warner Premier, Warner Bros DTV label.

Like this? Share it using the links below!