All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179668Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th March 2012, 11:06 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
bit of a cheat this, but have started watching Twin Peaks again, dug out the UK pilot (had it on dvdr for a while), and this started me off, watched all 7 episodes of 1st series over las ttwo days, will probably watch 2nd over weekend.

It's still such an odd programme! Forget other "event" tv things like Lost, or the shrill misfire Wild Palms, this is the real deal!

This will be the 5th time i've watched TP since its original transmission over here, ever time i see something new and disturbing in it.....
Well, didnt quite manage it (5 eps left etc), but would have to say that there is a definite "drop off" in quality during the second series, veering into self parody in places imo.

But there is still a lot to admire in TP. the stately pace, which is a real culture shock in today's hurried marketplace, unfolding the story as in a novel really...
I can really make a case for Lynch as magician, using misdirection skillfully to eke out the initial storyline to 17 episodes, but i still feel that the 1st series as a piece of art works better than the second, which is more like the documentary dvd you sometimes get with reissued "classic" albums, explaining away any sense of mystique with mere words and gestures.

"....here comes Bob
eager for fun...
he wears a smile
everybody run"

Still the greatest ending as well, looking forward to it soon!!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 6th March 2012, 11:17 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handyman Joe View Post
Seen 2 films lately which will be familiar to the good folk of this forum.

1. Hotel. I saw this a year or two ago (see my review on Amazon under my ridiculous moniker of Now Zoltan) and quite enjoyed it. Watched it again late on Saturday night, on my own, lightly baked and it worked its magic on me. This is a damn creepy movie if you give it a chance, it messes with weird perspectives, arbitary myths (or are they?), movie in-references, discomfiting muzak and is aggressively slow but it's well anchored by the gangly, likeable leading lady and has a couple of memorable shocks amidst the doomy atmospherics. The disorientating feeling of starting a new job in unwelcoming surroundings is also brilliantly captured. A grower and future cult item methinks, I'm going to check out Lourdes by the same director.

2. Memories of Murder - Shit, how good is this? I loved the thematically similar Zodiac but it's a stuffed museum piece next to this gem. As usual in Korean cinema it's a balls out, fearless piece of work with no concession to political correctness or conventional narrative structure. I found the lack of blood and guts pretty refreshing (although violence is never far away), I loved the blacker than black humour and the wonderfully expressive cast and as for that last shot - well, genius is the only word for it.
Hotel is brilliant. Very Lynch-heavy, reference wise, which could easily have backfired. Yet it actually tanscends Lynch in terms of weird ambience.
Old 6th March 2012, 11:40 AM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromonkey View Post
Death Warrant: fun if a little familiar prison action film starring Van Damme. Much Like Seagal his earlier studio films are much better than the crap he churns out these days.
I agree that most though not all (Doulble Team was awful) of his better output was throughout the 1990's, but I think he has done some work since (Assassination Games, Second In Command & Until Death).
Old 6th March 2012, 11:46 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Also watched RAPT on sunday BBC4. decent enough french thriller about a kidnapping and its effects on family, work etc.
not as good as Tell No One, but then what is???

with this season, im hoping that Carlos The Jackal will finally get a UK airing!!

aaand i watched Ice Pirates. Mary Crosby, Ron Perlman and Robert Urich "hamp" it up in this mish mash that isn't as much fun as Conquest, or as sexy as Yor. For undemanding types who think that the Goonies is "exciting", cough cough.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Last edited by Demoncrat; 6th March 2012 at 12:52 PM.
Old 6th March 2012, 01:19 PM
Cultist

Lady Snowblood: Blizzard from the Netherworld (1973)

**** out of ****

UPDATED WEEKLY
Old 6th March 2012, 01:29 PM
Cult Addict

Nos. How board where you that you felt the need to watch Howard the Duck?

DVD and BD collection
Old 6th March 2012, 04:13 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmonger View Post
Nos. How board where you that you felt the need to watch Howard the Duck?
It's funny how that film get's slated because I watched it just a few weeks ago (had never seen it before) and I absolutely loved it. Pure 80's cheese, with fantastic SFX and terribly bad (yet perfect for me) humour.
Looks superb in HD too. It's a classic that I missed when I was young so was happy to finally see it and love it as if I was a kid again.

Check out my wife and I's new travel blog www.wepackedourbags.com

My entire Blu Collection for sale: https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/dvd...tion-sale.html
Old 6th March 2012, 04:34 PM
Cult Addict

Oh, I dont HATE HtD. It's just............dull. Really, really dull.
And considering how mental and querky the source material is, it's a bit of a joke to be honest.
Demoncrat likes this.

DVD and BD collection
Old 6th March 2012, 04:49 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Had a bit of a film drought at the minute as been busy but found time to watch both Repo Man and Melancholia the other day. Thought both were great, really have the urge to watch the former again quite soon actually (perhaps the censored tv version). Thought Melancholia was brilliant although perhaps not as good as it could have been (the idea was still slightly better than the execution). Wasn't entirely what I expected either - for some reason I thought the whole film was going to be set during the reception. The jump cuts and constant zooming in the first half really annoyed me though, regardless of the intent behind them
Old 7th March 2012, 12:10 AM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

La Dama Rossa Uccide Sette Volta aka The Red Queen Kills Seven Times with my fiance. One of the few gialli she actually made it through without falling asleep! Huzzah!

Like this? Share it using the links below!