Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179663Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th November 2012, 05:35 PM
Cult Rookie

i would love to see shameless release "they call her one eye" can not understand why that has never been released over here! great movie!
Old 9th November 2012, 05:50 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I thought Dark Shadows was the weakest Tim Burton-Jonny Depp collaboration with the comedy and horror failing to mesh, leading to an uneven tone.

I know about the TV show, but haven't watched any episodes yet. A film based on the TV series should be able to stand on its own merits and not require any knowledge of a previous incarnation.
Most of the people dismissing the film did on the basis of the idea and plot rather than the film that they had watched. Sort of how that woman didn't like his adaptation of Sweeney Todd because it was full of music, knowing the background of the film would have told her it was a musical knowing Dark Shadows was based on a successful TV series does make you look at it differently.
Old 9th November 2012, 05:58 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonLynette View Post
Most of the people dismissing the film did on the basis of the idea and plot rather than the film that they had watched. Sort of how that woman didn't like his adaptation of Sweeney Todd because it was full of music, knowing the background of the film would have told her it was a musical knowing Dark Shadows was based on a successful TV series does make you look at it differently.
From what I saw of Dark Shadows, it was much better than the trailers implied - not nearly as wacky as Warners would have you believe....which is a good thing.
fuzzymctiger likes this.
Old 9th November 2012, 05:59 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Everyone I know was really looking forward to it and was really disappointed by the film and Johnny Depp's performance when they saw it at the cinema, just as I was when I rented it a couple of weeks ago.

I heard about people walking out of some screenings of Sweeney Todd because they didn't realise it was a musical but, as there weren't any songs in the trailer, that's a little understandable. They should have stayed as I think it's a top film!
Old 9th November 2012, 06:02 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Everyone I know was really looking forward to it and was really disappointed by the film and Johnny Depp's performance when they saw it at the cinema, just as I was when I rented it a couple of weeks ago.

I heard about people walking out of some screenings of Sweeney Todd because they didn't realise it was a musical but, as there weren't any songs in the trailer, that's a little understandable. They should have stayed as I think it's a top film!
I've sort of imagined Dark Shadows to be a bit hammy, that's what I'm hoping for. Not many people would though!

Sweeney Todd is fantastic, I do have a love of musicals though.
Old 9th November 2012, 06:03 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes View Post
From what I saw of Dark Shadows, it was much better than the trailers implied - not nearly as wacky as Warners would have you believe....which is a good thing.
I'm not sure if it was better than the trailers implied, but it was certainly less wacky and with fewer scenes of Barnabas Collins being confused by modern technology, slang and behaviour. It was just different to how it was portrayed in the trailer, but I've learned from experience to never to judge a film by its trailer.
Old 9th November 2012, 06:04 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Sweeney Todd is fantastic, I do have a love of musicals though.
Me too!
Old 9th November 2012, 06:24 PM
Cult Acolyte

The Hunter

Yeesh. Whittling down my favourite films of 2012 is gonna be a tricky task! Loved this, nice to see Willem Dafoe playing a good, normal, well adjusted bloke for a change . . .
keirarts and sawyer6 like this.
Old 9th November 2012, 06:35 PM
Cult Acolyte

...oh yeah and I wached Oliver Stone's latest, Savages. While I doubt it'll make my top 10 of the year, it was pretty entertaining. The main trio of 'good guy' weed peddlers I found a little annoying, not helped by Blake Lively's horrible Calivin Klein advert style drawly narration. But this wasn't much of a problem after the first act, once the thriller plot kicked in. Then things got much better, with Benicio Del Toro and Salma Hayek both on superb form as the maternal drug baron and her psychotic henchman. Just a shame we had to keep going back to the boring good guys . . .
Old 9th November 2012, 07:42 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul@Lovelockandload View Post
I've never seen any of the tv series, I've heard that its awful.
'Dark Shadows' was a gothic American soap opera, which ran from June 1966, until April 1971

Although the original series only ran for five years, its scheduling as a daily daytime drama allowed it to amass more single episodes during its run (1,225) than most other science-fiction/fantasy genre series produced for English-language television, including Doctor Who and the entire Star Trek television franchise

Wikipedia has a basic outline of the entire show:

Victoria's Arrival, episode 1 to 6: Victoria Winters comes to Collinwood to serve as governess to David Collins. She is an orphan and hopes to find clues to her identity. She finds a reclusive matriarch, Elizabeth Collins Stoddard; a disturbed child, David Collins; and a town full of mysterious and frightening legends.

The Revenge of Burke Devlin, episode 1 to 201: Despising the Collins’ power and influence, Burke Devlin returns to Collinsport after spending time in prison. He befriends Victoria, manipulates Carolyn Stoddard, Elizabeth’s daughter, and interrogates others to discover the truth about the accident which led to his conviction.

Matthew Morgan Kills Bill Malloy and Kidnaps Victoria, episode 46 to 126: Collins fishing fleet manager Bill Malloy is killed by Collinwood caretaker Matthew Morgan after Matthew learns Malloy wants Roger Collins to confess to the car accident which sent Burke to prison. Matthew kidnaps Victoria when she discovers he was responsible for Malloy’s death. Victoria is saved by the ghost of Josette Collins who joins the ghost of Malloy in scaring Matthew to death.

Laura the Phoenix, episode 123 to 191: Laura Collins, Roger’s wife and David’s mother, schemes to reclaim her son. Laura is a creature of the supernatural, an immortal Phoenix who almost succeeds in taking David with her as she is consumed by flames.

The Blackmailing of Elizabeth, episode 193 to 275: Jason McGuire, a friend of Elizabeth’s missing husband Paul Stoddard, returns to Collinwood. Victimized by his blackmail, Elizabeth agrees to marry Jason, but at the last moment reveals the truth. Eighteen years before, Jason led her to believe she killed Paul and then allowed Jason to bury the body in the basement of Collinwood. An investigation uncovers no body; Paul did not die. Jason is killed after he enters the Old House to search for jewels.

The Introduction of Barnabas, episode 202 to 220: Jason’s drifter friend Willie Loomis joins Jason as an unwelcome guest at Collinwood. Fascinated by the portrait of Barnabas Collins and the legend he was buried with his jewels, Willie opens the coffin of Barnabas and accidentally releases the 200-year-old vampire. Barnabas introduces himself at Collinwood as a descendant of the Barnabas in the portrait. With Elizabeth’s permission, Barnabas moves into the Old House and begins its restoration.

The Kidnapping of Maggie, episode 221 to 261: Barnabas meets waitress Maggie Evans and is struck by her close resemblance to Josette, his love in the distant past. He abducts Maggie and attempts to recreate her as Josette so she may join him as his eternal vampire bride. With the help of a mysterious child, Maggie escapes and is confined at Windcliff Sanitarium.

The Introduction of Julia, episode 265 to 365: Maggie’s doctor, Julia Hoffman, arrives at Collinwood, posing as an historian. She discovers the secret of Barnabas and offers to cure him. When the experiments backfire, Barnabas turns on her. Barnabas attempts to kill those who he believes know his secret, but he is stopped by the ghost of his little sister Sarah.

1795, episode 365 to 461: After a seance, Victoria is transported back to 1795. She meets Collins ancestors who resemble present-day family members. The witch Angélique jealously destroys Barnabas’ romance with Josette DuPrés and places the curse of the vampire on him. Josette sees a vision of herself as a vampire and leaps to her death from Widows’ Hill. Reverend Trask causes Victoria to be tried and condemned as a witch. Victoria falls in love with Peter Bradford. As she is about to be hung as a witch, Victoria is returned to the present.

The Dream Curse, episode 461 to 536: Victoria is haunted by her experiences in the past. Dr. Eric Lang temporarily cures Barnabas. Angélique appears, disguised as Roger’s new wife Cassandra. She initiates an evil dream curse to turn Barnabas back into a vampire. At the climax of the dream curse, Barnabas is attacked by a bat, but he does not become a vampire at that time.

The Creation of Adam and Eve, episode 486 to 626: Dr. Lang dies. Barnabas and Julia continue his experiments to create a man from human body parts using Barnabas’ life force. Adam is brought to life. Warlock Nicholas Blair influences Adam to demand a mate; Eve is created, but she despises Adam for his weakness. Nicholas punishes Angélique by turning her into a vampire. Angélique bites Barnabas in an attempt to place him under her power. Adam kills Eve.

The Werewolf and the Ghost of Quentin, episode 627 to 700: When the moon is full, Chris Jennings transforms into a werewolf. His sister Amy comes to live at Collinwood. Using an old disconnected telephone, Amy and David speak to the ghost of Quentin Collins, which attempts to possess David. After Quentin forces everyone to leave Collinwood, his wild laughter echoes through the empty house. Maggie saves the children after Quentin lures them back to Collinwood.

Return to 1796, episode 657 to 667: Barnabas revisits the past to save Victoria from hanging. By destroying Angélique, he enables Victoria to remain in the past with Peter Bradford.

1897, episode 700 to 884: By using the I-Ching wands, Barnabas goes back to 1897 to learn the secret of Quentin and the werewolf. Schoolteacher Rachel Drummond attempts to save the children, Jamison and Nora, from cruel treatment by Reverend Gregory Trask at his school, Worthington Hall. Angered that Quentin was responsible for the death of her sister Jenny, Magda places the curse of the werewolf on Quentin and all his descendants. Count Petofi regains his hand and uses its power to switch minds with Quentin in his attempt to reach the future. Barnabas meets the true reincarnation of Josette, Lady Kitty Hampshire.

The Leviathans, episode 885 to 980: Barnabas follows Kitty as Josette to 1795 but is returned to the present by the Leviathans. He is used by them in their quest to displace mankind and return their ancient cult to supremacy. Carolyn marries Leviathan leader Jeb Hawkes. Angélique creates a shadow to follow Jeb and destroy him.

Quentin and Amanda, episode 904 to 934: Quentin appears in the present but has no memory of his past life in 1897. His lost love from that time, Amanda Harris, discovers him and helps him regain his memory. But Quentin loses her in a struggle with Mr. Best also known as Death.

1970 Parallel Time, episode 980 to 1060: A room in Collinwood’s east wing enables Barnabas to enter Parallel Time, where familiar people have made different choices and live different lives. Angélique, risen from the dead, is determined to regain her husband Quentin, now married to Maggie Evans. Barnabas falls in love with Roxanne Drew, who has provided the life force for Angélique.

1995, episode 1061 to 1070: Barnabas and Julia are transported to the future, where they find Collinwood in ruins. They question survivors and follow clues, determined to avert the crisis by returning to the present and changing history.

The Ghosts of Daphne and Gerard, episode 1070 to 1109: David and Hallie Stokes find a sealed-off playroom in Collinwood and become possessed by Tad and Carrie who lived in 1840. The ghost of Daphne Harridge is unable to stop the ghost of Gerard Stiles from summoning an army of the dead to destroy Collinwood.

1840, episode 1110 to 1198: Barnabas and Julia use the stairway created by Quentin in 1840 to travel back to that time. Gerard Stiles, possessed by Judah Zachery, becomes master of Collinwood. After Angélique causes the destruction of Judah, Barnabas realizes he loves her, but she is immediately killed by Lamar Trask. Brokenhearted, Barnabas returns with Julia to the present.

1841 Parallel Time, episode 1198 to 1245: Because of a curse, the Collins family must hold a lottery once in each generation. Only when the person chosen can spend the night in a mysterious room and survive both alive and sane can the curse be broken. Bramwell Collins, son of Barnabas and Josette, returns to town hoping to marry Catherine Harridge. But Catherine marries Morgan Collins, unaware that she is pregnant with Bramwell’s child. Morgan attempts to kill the lovers by locking them in the room, but they survive, breaking the curse. Morgan perishes. The ghosts and vampires at Collinwood have been laid to rest.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty

Like this? Share it using the links below!