Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179663Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd October 2012, 11:58 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Send a message via Yahoo to darthelvis

Watched a shed load of movies in the past week as the wife has been away with my son down South.

Psycho 2 - Not bad, but at least I can now put a face to Meg Tilly
In the Heat of the Night - Fantastic! Are the sequels worth a watch?
Primer - Great recommendation, fantastic film but may need another watch or 2 to get my head round it
Streets of Fire - Great Walter Hill film but doesn't stand up against Long Riders, Warriors & Southern Comfort.
Hellraiser: Deader - I think this is the 6th sequel and as I could have guessed it was dreadful!
Conan the Barbarian 3D - My god this was dreadful again as expected
Fight for your Life - Vintage video nasty movie which is again terrible
American Movie - Been wanting to see this doc for years and found it on Netflix. Great doc about a struggling indie film-maker, very funny in parts.
Terror Train - Awesome slasher movie from golden age of slashers. Blu Ray is a pretty decent transfer
Long Goodbye - Great film with Elliott Gould
The Octagon - Chuck Norris flick, not his finest moment
I am Bruce Lee - Another competition win but a great documentary on the legend!
Night of the Living Dead 3D - Turned this turd off halfway through
The Raid - Finally got to see this. Awesome, non stop action as you all know. Night of the Hunter - Had the Criterion Blu Ray of this for a number of months and been dying to see this for some time. The film is amazing with a knock out performance from Mitchum.
The Brothers Bloom - I really enoyed this but I have to say my least favourite film from Rian Johnson so far.
Dark Shadows - Dreadful
Hugo - Had this blu ray for knocking on 6 months and finally got round to watching. Great performances all round, fantastic film and one of the best 3D films I have seen.
Hang Loose & Join the Community @ www.theforcebook.com
Old 22nd October 2012, 11:01 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

COCKNEYS Vs ZOMBIES. After a quick fire and fairly funny opening 10 minutes in which the cinema of geezer is sent up rather nicely, the film then starts to stagger along at an annoying slow place. And that's it really, there are a few other funny moments, but it's all over the place in tone and pacing from the middle to the end. Watch the trailer instead.
Frankie Teardrop likes this.
Old 23rd October 2012, 10:59 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthelvis View Post
Watched a shed load of movies in the past week as the wife has been away with my son down South.
Down South is an odd name for a lad.

I wasn't at all impressed by They Call Me Mister Tibbs. Not a patch on the first classic film.
Pete and darthelvis like this.

Last edited by Demdike@Cult Labs; 23rd October 2012 at 11:10 AM.
Old 23rd October 2012, 11:03 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipco View Post
Thanks Angel, I loved the 1st film but I discovered ' the internet forum ' and my films and games have taken 2nd place and just piled up.
Whenever I hear the Nietzsche quote 'if you gaze for long into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you', I always think of the internet for some reason.
Old 23rd October 2012, 02:57 PM
Cult Addict

The Return of the King (2003) Peter Jackson- STILL, after nearly 10 year's, one of the damned finest movie's, ever put to film. I's aged amazingly, it even beat's some recent attempt's (CoughJohnCarterCough) and provide's some of my favourate battle sequences in cinematic history (Finaly spotted the Easterlings at the Battle of Pelanor field's. I'm now satisfied!).
The Hobbit movie's have alot to live up to.
Old 23rd October 2012, 03:14 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
They Call Me Mister Tibbs.
pedromonkey and Hawkmonger like this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 23rd October 2012, 03:30 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I was going to post my comments on disc 5 of the Universal Monsters BD set-Bride of Frankenstein, but seeing as I've spent the last hour and 15 minutes reading all the new posts on here and checking my emails, I barely watched 5 minutes of it! Gonna have to watch it again later now

For the record, it too looks stunning
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 23rd October 2012, 09:26 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
COCKNEYS Vs ZOMBIES. After a quick fire and fairly funny opening 10 minutes in which the cinema of geezer is sent up rather nicely, the film then starts to stagger along at an annoying slow place. And that's it really, there are a few other funny moments, but it's all over the place in tone and pacing from the middle to the end. Watch the trailer instead.
I've just watched this, yeah it's certainly no Shaun or Juan of the Dead, but I still enjoyed it, some funny moments (Richard Briers trying to out "run" zombies using a zimmer frame!), decent enough gore effects and Bricktop!
Old 23rd October 2012, 10:51 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

SINISTER - An also-ran novelist hopes to spin a true crime original by moving into small town murder household. Ghostly things happen and everything ends on a horrific note. I liked it. I didn't love it, but I thought it was pretty good. Downsides are an overall obviousness and an over-reliance on jump scares. Upsides are jump scares which actually pump that adrenalin in at least three or four instances (including the soon to be infamous 'lawnmower scene'), an increasingly heavy atmosphere, doom laden drone soundtrack and an OK 'mythos' underlying it all (vague and creepy enough to be erm 'sinister'). I got the strange feeling that some the crassness of the earlier scare scenes was set up, quite an effective gambit to prepare the way for a slightly headier atmosphere... maybe it was just my mood at the time of viewing (in Leeds' most arid cinema). But certainly worth a look for anyone who has ever wondered about those weird and disturbing faces which appear on old family videos.
Old 23rd October 2012, 10:53 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
(in Leeds' most arid cinema)
Which one?

Like this? Share it using the links below!