All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179668Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd October 2012, 11:02 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
Which one?
'The Vue' at 'The Light'. Well, I suppose it IS an actual cinema. But I prefer Hyde Park when it plays good, weird stuff (quite a lot coming this Nov, including Nekromantik!? and City of the Living Dead)
Old 23rd October 2012, 11:05 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
'The Vue' at 'The Light'. Well, I suppose it IS an actual cinema. But I prefer Hyde Park when it plays good, weird stuff (quite a lot coming this Nov, including Nekromantik!? and City of the Living Dead)
Never been to the one in Hyde Park, but I've been to the Vue a few times, we usually go to the Showcase at Birstall or Cineworld in Bradford because there hasn't been a cinema in Halifax for 10 years, but a 9 screen Vue is meant to open this Friday.
Quite fancy COTLD at the cinema, not bothered about watching Nekromantik again though!
Frankie Teardrop likes this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 23rd October 2012, 11:10 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
Never been to the one in Hyde Park, but I've been to the Vue a few times, we usually go to the Showcase at Birstall or Cineworld in Bradford because there hasn't been a cinema in Halifax for 10 years, but a 9 screen Vue is meant to open this Friday.
Quite fancy COTLD at the cinema, not bothered about watching Nekromantik again though!
Hyde Park is a bit out of the way (although literally a street away from me), but there's loads of good stuff on this festival, as I'm sure yr aware... definitely worth checking out.
Rik likes this.
Old 23rd October 2012, 11:20 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
I love the Hyde Park cinema, have seen many fantastic films there. If only they did a cineworld type subscription pass.

I hardly ever visit the multiplexes these days, naff films for the most part and filled with morons who would much rather talk and fart around with their phones than watch a film.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
Old 23rd October 2012, 11:48 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

I used to live near the Hyde Park cinema when I lived in Leeds and really miss it

I watched Knife of Ice earlier today. Really decent Lenzi giallo although the killer's identity was fairly obvious

Last edited by PaulD; 24th October 2012 at 12:19 AM.
Old 24th October 2012, 06:33 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Upsides are jump scares which actually pump that adrenalin in at least three or four instances (including the soon to be infamous 'lawnmower scene'), an increasingly heavy atmosphere, doom laden drone soundtrack
I really didn't like Sinister - thought it wasted potential - but I agree with the above. The soundtrack was amazing in places; the experimental/choppy/drone sound-bites really boosted the atmosphere. And the 'lawnmover scene' was a good one indeed, again enhanced by the grisly soundtrack. The rest of it just struck me as lazy, and when it completely copped out I lost interest, much like I did with Insidious.

I'd pick up the OST, but I gather it's just the score and the good stuff ain't on it.
Old 24th October 2012, 07:29 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
SINISTER - An also-ran novelist hopes to spin a true crime original by moving into small town murder household. Ghostly things happen and everything ends on a horrific note. I liked it. I didn't love it, but I thought it was pretty good. Downsides are an overall obviousness and an over-reliance on jump scares. Upsides are jump scares which actually pump that adrenalin in at least three or four instances (including the soon to be infamous 'lawnmower scene'), an increasingly heavy atmosphere, doom laden drone soundtrack and an OK 'mythos' underlying it all (vague and creepy enough to be erm 'sinister'). I got the strange feeling that some the crassness of the earlier scare scenes was set up, quite an effective gambit to prepare the way for a slightly headier atmosphere... maybe it was just my mood at the time of viewing (in Leeds' most arid cinema). But certainly worth a look for anyone who has ever wondered about those weird and disturbing faces which appear on old family videos.

Christopher Youngs best score imo.
Old 24th October 2012, 08:39 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I saw Sinister and a press screening (and have seen it again at the cinema since) where I thought the soundtrack was brilliant, but I also thought the film was one of the best horror so far this year.

Sinister Review | Film 365
keirarts and Frankie Teardrop like this.
Old 24th October 2012, 10:28 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delirium View Post
Whenever I hear the Nietzsche quote 'if you gaze for long into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you', I always think of the internet for some reason.
That does make sense.
Old 24th October 2012, 11:33 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Burial Ground: The Nights of Terror: one for the Where Has This Film Been All My Life? pile. It pains me that something as insane and offbeat as this would never get made these days, anyone who'd attempt to to so would no doubt apply an arch and knowing approach. Loved it.

Like this? Share it using the links below!