Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179678Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th November 2012, 11:36 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes View Post
I think What? is the only early Polanski dud, the others I really like, but Macbeth is my favourite, truly a dark masterpiece...
I've never actually seen the Polanski 'Macbeth', but I'll soon be correcting this state of affairs.
I've just got hold of that one he did with Johnny Depp as an occult involved bookseller - the title escapes me. Might try it out later.
Old 9th November 2012, 11:41 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
I've never actually seen the Polanski 'Macbeth', but I'll soon be correcting this state of affairs.
I've just got hold of that one he did with Johnny Depp as an occult involved bookseller - the title escapes me. Might try it out later.
The Ninth Gate Frankie and a promising film undone by some cringe-worthy CG... I wish more film makers would take Tarantino's lead - If I wanted CGI I'd stick my dick in a Nintendo...
Old 9th November 2012, 11:46 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
I saw the first hour of Dark Shadows on a flight back from Miami and it was really good - the best Tim Burton I've seen since Ed Wood, and I started out hoping to dislike the film. I gotta rent this out and finish it...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonLynette View Post
That's good, anyone I have spoken to that has seen it has said they didn't like it, at the same time none of them were aware of the TV show!
Quote:
Did the TV show play in the UK ? I don't ever remember it being on any of the 4 channels...
Quote:
No, it was never on, well certainly not in my time.
There were also two movies made, based on this show, back in the early 70's:

Wes and SharonLynette like this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 9th November 2012, 03:25 PM
Active Cultist

Send a message via Skype™ to Invid Ninja

About to go see the Director's Cut of The Devils at the BFI Southbank cinema. Still for me my absolute favourite British film ever made and one of my Top 5. Watched it 6 times alone this year after buying the BFI DVD on day of release.

Cold Iron (R.O.T.O.R, 1987)
Old 9th November 2012, 03:33 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invid Ninja View Post
About to go see the Director's Cut of The Devils at the BFI Southbank cinema...
Lucky devil... I love Oliver Reed's kiss off line to his young pupil - "Hold my hand. It's like touching the dead, isn't it?"

For me The Devils and Performance are the two greatest masterpieces of British Cinema.
Old 9th November 2012, 03:41 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymctiger View Post
Terrifier - Nasty little 20 minute short film about a woman on the road being stalked a killer clown with a thing for dismemberment. Has that whole, fake grindhouse thing going, with the retro title card, fake print damage and faded colours. Gore effects are pretty good too. Nasty ending twist.

If you have a spare 20 minutes, check it out on YouTube.
Just watched this based on yours and bizarre_eye's recommendation and also thought it was worth a watch. Really well done for an independent production although, and while I didn't mind it, I suspect the faux-grindhouse style might grate on some.

fuzzymctiger likes this.
Old 9th November 2012, 03:43 PM
Cult Acolyte

Super Happy

Quote:
The Ninth Gate Frankie and a promising film undone by some cringe-worthy CG... I wish more film makers would take Tarantino's lead - If I wanted CGI I'd stick my dick in a Nintendo...
Wes in all honesty I really don't think that will work.
Old 9th November 2012, 03:48 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
That's good, anyone I have spoken to that has seen it has said they didn't like it, at the same time none of them were aware of the TV show!
I thought Dark Shadows was the weakest Tim Burton-Jonny Depp collaboration with the comedy and horror failing to mesh, leading to an uneven tone.

I know about the TV show, but haven't watched any episodes yet. A film based on the TV series should be able to stand on its own merits and not require any knowledge of a previous incarnation.
Old 9th November 2012, 05:01 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I agree that it's the weakest of the pair's collaborations but I really dug it, Nos, it's certainly better than 90% of Hollywood big budgeters.

I've never seen any of the tv series, I've heard that its awful.
Old 9th November 2012, 05:17 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

If anyone's in Leeds tonight, be sure to catch BEYOND THE BLACK RAINBOW at the Hyde Park Picture House. It's seriously the best film you'll see all year. It's on at 11.00.

Like this? Share it using the links below!