LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th March 2012, 12:06 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
When you say 'unwatched' I'm guessing it means the disc rather than the film?
(If not, I'd suggest you watch Full Metal Jacket ASAP!)

Out of your unwatched discs, are there any films you haven't seen before? I say this as my eyes were drawn to The Bed Sitting Room on your BD list. If you have indeed never seen it, I'd suggest you move it to the top of your 'to-watch' pile as it's a fantastic British comedy and a real treat to watch.

EDIT: Have you watched Combat Shock yet? I didn't see it on your unwatched list...
The list is of discs I haven't seen, not films. I've seen at least half of those which are on that list, probably even more and close to 100% of the BDs so, for example, I've seen Full Metal Jacket numerous times and have my snapper assigned by Alec 'Animal Mother' Baldwin.

I haven't yet watched The Bed Sitting Room (and haven't seen it before). Combat Shock isn't on there because I forgot to add it (but will do so now) and, like The Bed Sitting Room, is prioritised!
Old 5th March 2012, 12:12 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
THE MIST - A handsome S King adaption that transits with ease from CGI monsterfest to poised and sometimes poignant social critique. Shows us up for the dickheads we are when we give free reign to our irrationality in the face of the unknown. And the ending - what a downer! Not since 'Threads' have I felt so hollowed out and slighlty weepy!
The Mist is one of my favourite Stephen King adaptations, right up there with The Shawshank Redemption, just behind The Shining. I much prefer the black and white version to the colour one - which did you watch?
nekromantik likes this.
Old 5th March 2012, 01:28 PM
Cultist

Seeing as it's been sitting in my collection for a few weeks, and i'm a fan of it's lead, I thought why not...?

Road Games (1981)

Very Hitchcockian, in particular, Rear Window. I wasn't surprised to read in the IMDB trivia that the screenwriter was given the screenplay for Rear Window by the director before starting Road Games. Just shift the story to Austrailia 1981, and set the film on the road. Stacy Keach is Quid, the truck driver who may or may not have witnessed a killer getting rid of the remains of his latest victim, Jaime Lee Curtis is Hitch, the hitchhiker who joins Quid in tailing the mysterious green truck. The two leads work really good together, quickly stricking up a likeable chemistry while the film displays a good sense of black humour. One for Horror/Thriller fans and fans of Hitchcock.

Stacy Keach
1. The Squeeze (1977)
**2. Road Games (1981) NE**
3. Doc (1971)
4. Gray Lady Down (1978)
5. Antigone (1972)
6. Battle Force (1978)
7. Mike Hammer: Murder Takes All (1989)
8. Mission Of The Shark (1991)
9. Class Of 1999 (1990)
10. The Return Of Mickey Spillanes Mike Hammer (1986)
11. Intimate Strangers (1986)
12. Unshackled (2000)
13. Meteor (2009)
14. Weather Wars (2011)
Old 5th March 2012, 05:38 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

watched a few films recently..

ZMD: Zombies Of Mass Destruction: really good low budget political zombie film with some brilliant gore scene's and the best paranoid neighbour since Jimmy Stewart in Rear Window.

Some Kind Of Wonderful: OK John Hughes film, basically Pretty In pink with the roles reversed. Cracking Soundtrack too.

Contagion: Interesting film about how the CDC deals with a super virus that spreads across the world. Not the best of it's kind and does seem like a glossy high budget TV movie at times, but it has some good performances from Larry Fishburn and Matt Damon although Jude Law does one of the worst Aussie accents ever.

Death Warrant: fun if a little familiar prison action film starring Van Damme. Much Like Seagal his earlier studio films are much better than the crap he churns out these days.

The Ugly Truth
: Mildly amusing comedy with Gerard Butler and Katherine Heigle, like most romantic comedies this one is very predictable. Very crude too. Was much funnier the first time i saw it.

Rolling Thunder: finally got around to checking out the BD of this film, and while it does look good, it's certainly not the best transfer i've ever seen. It's a brilliant slow burn revenge drama with a stand out performance from William Devane and good support from Linda Haynes and Tommy Lee Jones who only smiles when he's killing people. If you haven't seen this yet. Get it..

DEVIL: From the mind of M. Night Shyamalamadingdong, actually a pretty good supernatural thriller, quite enjoyed this.

APOLLO 18: utter balls.
Old 5th March 2012, 10:52 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
The Mist is one of my favourite Stephen King adaptations, right up there with The Shawshank Redemption, just behind The Shining. I much prefer the black and white version to the colour one - which did you watch?
The colour version. I must be missing something - will return to my disc to check out whether it permits a B&W option.
I agree with you, as a King adaption it's way up there. I think I probably prefer 'Carrie', which of course features another nihilstic blow-out ending... but it's very good, especially considering how difficult it is to do monsters these days and make big statements at the same time.
Old 5th March 2012, 11:15 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
The colour version. I must be missing something - will return to my disc to check out whether it permits a B&W option.
I agree with you, as a King adaption it's way up there. I think I probably prefer 'Carrie', which of course features another nihilstic blow-out ending... but it's very good, especially considering how difficult it is to do monsters these days and make big statements at the same time.
it's on the 2 disc edition of the dvd and on the Blu-ray disc
Frankie Teardrop likes this.
Old 5th March 2012, 11:27 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

I watched Mist first time in color and then months later in b&w and its like watching a different movie. I love it in both color and b&w. I need to get the blu as its only £6.

My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Old 6th March 2012, 07:56 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler View Post
Nightmare Concert [A Cat in the Brain] (1990)

* out of ****
Shame you didn't enjoy - it's one of my favourite Fulci movies (along with 'Conquest'!) I know a lot of hardened Fulci fans seem to dislike it, but it occupies a special place for me because it's just so utterly bonkers! What kind of film is so cheap and so shameless, yet so weirdly avant-garde? Admittedly it has none of the atmosphere or style of its better loved brethren. It's just Fulci taking the piss, ultimately - maybe there's some bitterness running through it all, but at the same time it seems gleeful and deranged.
Old 6th March 2012, 09:28 AM
Active Cultist

Seen 2 films lately which will be familiar to the good folk of this forum.

1. Hotel. I saw this a year or two ago (see my review on Amazon under my ridiculous moniker of Now Zoltan) and quite enjoyed it. Watched it again late on Saturday night, on my own, lightly baked and it worked its magic on me. This is a damn creepy movie if you give it a chance, it messes with weird perspectives, arbitary myths (or are they?), movie in-references, discomfiting muzak and is aggressively slow but it's well anchored by the gangly, likeable leading lady and has a couple of memorable shocks amidst the doomy atmospherics. The disorientating feeling of starting a new job in unwelcoming surroundings is also brilliantly captured. A grower and future cult item methinks, I'm going to check out Lourdes by the same director.

2. Memories of Murder - Shit, how good is this? I loved the thematically similar Zodiac but it's a stuffed museum piece next to this gem. As usual in Korean cinema it's a balls out, fearless piece of work with no concession to political correctness or conventional narrative structure. I found the lack of blood and guts pretty refreshing (although violence is never far away), I loved the blacker than black humour and the wonderfully expressive cast and as for that last shot - well, genius is the only word for it.
Frankie Teardrop likes this.
Old 6th March 2012, 11:01 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I don't rate THX 1138 at all. American Graffiti is the best film Lucas has ever made but, then again, I don't rate the Star Wars films either.

Anyway, in terms of the films I've seen recently, these are the ones I watched in February:

WOW thats a lot of films to watch in one month ...i barely get chance to watch many probly be at least half a years watch to me ...

Like this? Share it using the links below!