Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179663Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th November 2011, 09:50 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

watched Last House on the Beach/La Settima Donna last night.
would love to see it on the big screen. unsettling isnt the word. and that soundtrack, incongruous in a ZFE kind of way, which just added to it's "charm".
can imagine Ferman frothing at mouth at certain bits, ah well he's dead now....
Old 25th November 2011, 11:58 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

I had some time last night, and managed to sqeeze in two recent grabs from Film4 and BBC4. First up was Monsters, from 2010 - about a mismatched couple trying to get back to America from an alien inhabited Mexico. Someone descibed this to me as a sci-fi movie done by Terence Malick, a tall-order in anyone's book but this one does has a fabulous dreamy vibe to it and handles the alien stuff with great skill and restraint. Quite a beautiful ending too...

Second thing I saw was White Material, Claire Denis' 2009 film set in an unnamed African country about a French coffee plantation struggling to say afloat while a civil war between Government forces and armed rebels erupts around it. Brilliantly directed, flawlessly acted (incl a craggy looking Chistopher Lambert), this is a dark, dangerous and fascinating film, and in a strange way made for a fine double-bill with Monsters, both films have a suitlably apocalyptic mood. Highly recommended.
Old 25th November 2011, 03:45 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehamish View Post
watched Last House on the Beach/La Settima Donna last night.
would love to see it on the big screen. unsettling isnt the word. and that soundtrack, incongruous in a ZFE kind of way, which just added to it's "charm".
can imagine Ferman frothing at mouth at certain bits, ah well he's dead now....
I presume your talking about the slow-motion rape scene... the scene that happened to be playing when my buddie adams girlfriend came into the room to sit down and watch a film with us...

There was an uncomfortable silence.....
Old 25th November 2011, 07:14 PM
Cultist

We have my wife's sister staying at our house for a couple days and were trying to pick out a film to watch all together. She does not like horror films, and I didn't feel like watching Pretty in Pink , so I talked her into Dylan Dog. I had been wanting to watch it and it was a instant movie on Netflix. I told her it was like Buffy and Angel which she likes. It was enjoyable, but not sure if I would buy it. Decent popcorn film, unfortunately my microwave acted up and burnt my popcorn. Maybe tonight I can talk them into Dellamorte.
Old 26th November 2011, 12:24 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Monkey Shines

An exceptional film from George A Romero based around a magnificent idea and featuring excellent performances across the board. And now I have the DVD instead of just the rental VHS, I can see how well shot it was too! Also nice to see a Hollywood film not scared to depict a quadriplegic as a sexual being, and Romero runs an underlying theme/study of the nature of jealousy throughout. Top notch film making.

This is also the nearest any film can get to scaring me as an adult, as monkeys give me the horrors anyway!
Old 26th November 2011, 12:46 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

just watched RARE EXPORTS and i bloody loved it, it was such a wonderful film, from the really interesting plot, the music and well just everything. I loved it.
Old 26th November 2011, 01:10 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I should point out that Pedromonkey does not give me the horrors, just actual monkeys!
pedromonkey likes this.
Old 26th November 2011, 01:17 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
I should point out that Pedromonkey does not give me the horrors, just actual monkeys!
i love monkeys, in a completely non sexual way of course...
Old 26th November 2011, 10:38 AM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Yesterdays double bill consisted of William Peter Blatty's Exorcist III, I always consider this as a direct sequel to Friedkins original, not the awful Exorcist II:The Hetetic. Brad Dourif is as creepy as ever and George C Scott plays a fairly decent Lt Kinderman. Second up was my first viewing of The Bronx Warriors since a friend of mine stole his brothers pre-cert VHS back in the late 80's. As it has been over 20 years since I last saw it, it felt like watching it for the first time and I really enjoyed it, will definitely be checking out the others in the "trilogy".
Finally, last night me and the wife watched the Nic Cage film Knowing that was on Sky last weekend. I liked it, she wishes she hadn't wasted 2 hours of her life on it. Although the ending was a bit of a let down, I thought it was a good film with some of the best SFX I've seen in a long time, I can only assume this would look fantastic on Blu Ray.

Well hello Mister Fancypants.
Phurious likes this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 26th November 2011, 11:48 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Red to Kill (1994)
Doctor Vampire - Legendary Collection (1991)
Vampire's Breakfast - Legendary Collection (1987)
Phantom Killer, The - Legendary Collection (1981)
Trail, The - Legendary Collection (1981) http://www.cult-labs.com/forums/199091-post63.html
Jail House Eros - Legendary Collection (1990)
Happy Ghost, The - Legendary Collection (1984)

Some were better than others but not one was bad imho.
If anybody's interested,I'm willing to do some short reviews.

Like this? Share it using the links below!