Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Make Them Die Slowly 13th February 2012 11:05 PM

SEX CLINIC(1972). If you ever wondered what a film written and produced by the creator of the soap opera "Crossroads" and Kent Walton, wrestling commentator, would be like, this is the film for you.

Sadly, this is all soap, little sex and bugger all wrestling. Interesting only as a British sex film that isn't a comedy. The only positive in the film is Georgina Ward who looks like she's wondered in from a 60s Italian Gothic horror film.

@Kyle. Cheese touch!

Scyther 13th February 2012 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iluvdvds@Cult Labs (Post 216510)

Quality viewing indeed, mate! Watched 'Drive' on Saturday, and hoping to finally finish two Bud Spencer flicks, "Piedone in Africa" and "Piedone on the Nile!"

Gojirosan 14th February 2012 12:30 AM

Humongous - very good Scorpion Releasing DVD of this old Canadian slasher oddity.

A fine addition to the sub-genre: one of the best, in my opinion. Low key and brooding. I like it a lot.

My only problem is a vapid, sexist one: there are three women in this and the only attractive one dies too early! :lol:

Also, and I don't know why I do this to myself, some kind of masochism I suppose, I decided to give Marcus Nispel's remake of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre another shot.

The best thing that can be said about this woeful exercise in bullshit is that it is slightly better shot than any other of Marcus Nispel's awful films. It is a truly abysmal experience that not even the presence of the beautiful Erica Leerhsen renders worth a carrot.

Handyman Joe 14th February 2012 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop (Post 216477)
LOST HIGHWAY - Wow, what a movie. Each time I see it, it gets better - makes more sense, but somehow seems more mysterious than ever. The first 45 minutes are like being in an incredibly menacing painting - can really feel the dark closing in. And the Mystery Man, Robert Blake - woah, freaks me out every time. It just comes down to presence, really. Don't know what possessed me to watch BROTHERHOOD OF BLOOD after such a masterpiece, but I have to say, it suffered by comparison.

Lynch has always been my favourite, I've his films countless times and I'II fight anyone to the death who says Fire Walk With Me is shit (Sheryl Lee won the Oscar that year, no contest) - anyway, re Lost Highway, I recently noticed where the 'mystery man' came from - Bergman's Hour of the Wolf - check out the bird man character - I'II bet any money this sneaked into the Lynch subconscious - he's almost identical.

Handyman Joe 14th February 2012 08:43 AM

Wolverine. Holy God I paid 12.99 for the X-Men blu ray box set so I was damn sure I was sitting through this piece of ordure. This could be the worst sceenplay I've ever come across - it consists of a series of straw men being introduced in order to be killed off and provide 'motivation' for our hero. Thus we get the beautiful wife, the saintly old couple he stumbles across (who have a motorbike in their garage - fancy that!), the black sidekick with the crappy power and the, well, I won't spoil any more, as if you couldn't guess anyway. There's also an appearance by that old staple, the noble general, just to show us the US military isn't all bad. Danny Huston as Stryker makes you realise what a great actor Brian Cox is, I'm glad he didn't get involved in this.
The only saving grace for me was the performances of Jackman and Schrieber but even they can't compensate for such an intelligence insulting script. The ending lets the two main villains simply disappear, there's no resolution, no catharsis, no point to it all. It's tongue in cheek, a romp, I hear you say - sorry, won't wash, it's just bad film-making plain and simple. I see it's got 6.7 on imdb - I despair!

Demoncrat 14th February 2012 10:24 AM

Watched Network (Sidney Lumet, 1976) as yet again, mate hadnt seen it.
Still a very relevant satire on TV's descent into Caligula-esque (?) madness, had never really noticed all the "acting" that goes on in this film before, Faye Dunaway in particular (must dig out Mommie Dearest....now THERE'S a scary performance!!;)) but this is par for the course with Lumet i find, mate enjoyed and "wished he'd watched it sooner!!" which is the kind of review i likes....

also mentioned in dispatches.....Lie Still(Sean Hogan, 2005)
Creepy wee Brit flick, featuring Stuart Laing (Cradle of Fear) and Nina Sosanya (Nathan Barley, Teachers). Down on his luck, John Hare (Laing) moves into a slightly down at heel block of flats (converted from an old house) and finds that "renting in London can be a nightmare" (my own tag), effective enough scares, and an uneasy atmosphere helped lift this from potboiler territory, though other folks may be less unforgiving, seeing as it does have echoes of other films....The Tenant etc.
And this time i wish ID seen it earlier!

Gojirosan 14th February 2012 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 216583)
also mentioned in dispatches.....Lie Still(Sean Hogan, 2005)
Creepy wee Brit flick, featuring Stuart Laing (Cradle of Fear) and Nina Sosanya (Nathan Barley, Teachers). Down on his luck, John Hare (Laing) moves into a slightly down at heel block of flats (converted from an old house) and finds that "renting in London can be a nightmare" (my own tag), effective enough scares, and an uneasy atmosphere helped lift this from potboiler territory, though other folks may be less unforgiving, seeing as it does have echoes of other films....The Tenant etc.
And this time i wish ID seen it earlier!

Never heard of this! Not only does it sound like my kind of thing, I have an unhealthy, hormonal admiration for Nina Sosanya!

Thank you!

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 14th February 2012 12:30 PM

So far this month...

http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/...uaryCovers.jpg

To save you the trouble of counting, that's 42 films in 13 days!

Demdike@Cult Labs 14th February 2012 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 216621)
So far this month...

http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/...uaryCovers.jpg

To save you the trouble of counting, that's 42 films in 13 days!

I take it you watched Rolling Thunder and Drunken Master twice then or are they different versions?

Did you like The Disappearance of Alice Creed? I was quite impressed by it.

antmumford 14th February 2012 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 216642)
I take it you watched Rolling Thunder and Drunken Master twice then or are they different versions?

One is the first Drunken Master and the other is Legend of Drunken Master aka Drunken Master 2 :)