Like Tree179657Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd May 2012, 05:48 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
I take the same stance as Paul.

Although, I consider Clownhouse to be a different case entirely, as the actual molestation occurred on set at the time of filming.
Yes, I totally agree with you on that point. The fact that it happened on-set clearly affects the perception of the film for the viewer. You can't seperate the art from the artist in that example. Similarly, the bit in Clownhouse where the kid's having a bath made me practically retch, knowing what I knew about the production of the film
Old 22nd May 2012, 08:42 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

images.jpg

First time seeing this really great film. Great Train-by-Shooting scene in this ha ha.
Old 22nd May 2012, 09:55 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Polanski: Rosemary's Baby
Hitchcock: Psycho
Old 22nd May 2012, 10:00 PM
Cult Acolyte

Hitchcock: Rosemary's Baby
Polanski: Psycho

Now THAT I'd like to see . . .
Old 23rd May 2012, 07:29 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
Does what he did put anyone else of buying his films? or is it just me?
You should watch Roman Polanski: Wanted and Desired, a fascinating documentary which shows what a complicated, controversial and difficult situation the whole trial, incarceration and self-imposed exile was and continues to be.

keirarts likes this.
Old 23rd May 2012, 07:33 AM
Cultist

Batman: Gotham Knight (2008)
Old 23rd May 2012, 07:39 AM
Cult Addict

Not to justify what polanski did, but I don't think that his case is as bad as victor salva's.

At the time polanski was out of his face on drink and drugs and still in a spiral of depression after the murder of sharon tate. At a party at Jack nicholsons he hooked up with a girl who turned out to be younger than he thought. (and what the hell was a 13 year old girl doing out at a party like that anyway) and as far as i'm aware this wasn't any pattern of behaviour just one very wrong incident. Still wrong but compared to salva who systematicly abused several young boys, videotaped himself doing it, and continues to make films where the main theme is teenagers (with a focus on young boys) being stalked by an invincible enemy is far more troubling. I sold my copy of clownhouse (check out my blog) because quite frankly while the film is pretty suspensful the lingering shots of teenage boys in their underware is very troubling to me in light of salva's disgusting behaviour.
fuzzymctiger likes this.
Old 23rd May 2012, 07:54 AM
Cult Acolyte

Just to get back to the greatness of Polanski, anyone seen his latest, Carnage ? I only caught it at the weekend, and really enjoyed it. Some proper Exorcist projectile vomiting from Kate Winslet With this and The Ghost it's great he's still turning out work of such quality and showing no signs of burning out . . .
Old 23rd May 2012, 08:31 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
Yes, I totally agree with you on that point. The fact that it happened on-set clearly affects the perception of the film for the viewer. You can't seperate the art from the artist in that example. Similarly, the bit in Clownhouse where the kid's having a bath made me practically retch, knowing what I knew about the production of the film
Wait so if that is the stance we take, then that must mean we hate Cannibal Holocaust, because the director killed animals on set and was an absolute arsehole to everyone?

Fuzzy's Sale/Trade Thread! - Blu, DVD, Boxsets (TV/Movie), Anime, Manga
Old 23rd May 2012, 08:32 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I really want to see Carnage as it does look like another quality film from Polanski.

Also, can we stay on topic and, though I am a little guilty of it myself, leave directors' personal problems to one side and just discuss films here?

Thanks.

Like this? Share it using the links below!