Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179636Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th June 2012, 10:27 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Cross Current/Un omicidio perfetto a termine di legge - 1971 Italy/Spain d: Tonino Ricci

Having developed a love for Tonino Ricci as a reliable provider of transcendently bad films, imagine my shock tonight to watch this early giallo from him and to discover a wonderful film.

This was Ricci's second film as director and it is really good. I would comfortably put it up at the top of the second rank of gialli (if you follow me!). It has problems - at times the pacing is off (mostly early in the film, though, so easy to overlook), the English dub is not brilliant, some of the supporting cast are poor - but no more so and the same kind of problems one finds in gialli by Fulci, Martino, Freda etc.

The photography and camerawork are very good (superb work from cinematographer Cecilio Paniagua), the lead performers good (for the most part), the music score is excellent (a Morricone-like job by Giorgio Gaslini) and the convoluted script and plotting are just what we expect from the genre. The production design is striking and used well - there is a magnificent villa set rivalling the one in Five Dolls For An August Moon - it is a stylish spectacle indeed. The editing is creative and resonant, using many of the tricks honed in the Spaghetti Western era.

A number of times through the film I would think, "Ah, that reminds me of that scene in *insert better known giallo*" only to remember that this being released in 1971 it actually pre-dates the films of which I was thinking.

So, colour me gobsmacked! A huge surprise and something of a lost treasure. For the love of all that is black-gloved, over-plotted, murderous and stylish, get this film released someone!
bdc and Pete like this.
Old 16th June 2012, 11:51 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by damek View Post
I saw that shit 17 years ago on my 13th birthday with 2 mates in my bedroom.
I discovered Maniac Cop last year on VHS with a mate!

Fuzzy's Sale/Trade Thread! - Blu, DVD, Boxsets (TV/Movie), Anime, Manga
Old 17th June 2012, 01:13 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Just watched "Revolt of the Zombies" and "The Hideous Sun Demon", perfect late night viewing. Streamed them through lovefilm on my blu-ray, I seriously need to explore what's on there some more.
bdc likes this.
Old 17th June 2012, 07:08 AM
Cult Acolyte

Default Back to the house of pain

ISLAND OF LOST SOULS
bdc, sawyer6 and Hawkmonger like this.
Old 17th June 2012, 07:56 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonLynette View Post
Just watched "Revolt of the Zombies" and "The Hideous Sun Demon", perfect late night viewing. Streamed them through lovefilm on my blu-ray, I seriously need to explore what's on there some more.
Har I just did that with Alice, Sweet Alice. Currently on holiday, and they have a better internet connection here than home! Gonna have to spend the week watching free horror on lovefilm

Loved Alice by the way - can't believe they got away with filming child AND priest murder in the church I suppose as long as they confessed afterwards . . .
bdc likes this.
Old 17th June 2012, 09:29 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippery Jack View Post
Har I just did that with Alice, Sweet Alice. Currently on holiday, and they have a better internet connection here than home! Gonna have to spend the week watching free horror on lovefilm

Loved Alice by the way - can't believe they got away with filming child AND priest murder in the church I suppose as long as they confessed afterwards . . .
Sounds like a good holiday to me! I think I'll be making the most of the films they have on there, just watching "The Giant Spider Invasion", my kind of film.
Old 17th June 2012, 09:52 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

The Giant Spider Invasion starts off fun but somehow loses it's way imho.
I would have liked it probably more if the fun(ny) characters lasted.

Last edited by bdc; 17th June 2012 at 10:23 AM.
Old 17th June 2012, 10:19 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdc View Post
The Giant Spider Invasion starts off fun but somehow looses it's way imho.
I would have liked it probably more if the fun(ny) characters lasted.
I can see what you mean, it's at a point where I can't see how they can get another 20 minutes of film. The model is impressive, I think it's a bit too in between being a decent film and a campy one - if giant anything is involved then it should just be campy. The model is great, just rewound a bit, great model, wobbly set or just an old house - fantastic.
Old 17th June 2012, 11:31 AM
Active Cultist

Deadly Blessings
Little Corey Gorey
The Divide
Old 17th June 2012, 11:34 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Send a message via Yahoo to darthelvis

Watched Jaws on the big screen and it looked simply stunning, was sad to see the screen was pretty empty. Highly recommend catching this classic on the big screen before it goes!

Roll on the blu ray steelbook!!!!
Baseball Fury and sawyer6 like this.
Hang Loose & Join the Community @ www.theforcebook.com

Like this? Share it using the links below!