Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

mark meakin 3rd October 2008 12:30 PM

Doomsday (2008) fast paced,ultra-violent & some nice black humour.Sadly not as good as Dog Soldiers or The Decent (my favourite Neil Marshall film to date)

vincenzo 3rd October 2008 03:26 PM

I thought The Descent was one of the best horror films of recent years.

Creepshow 3rd October 2008 04:18 PM

I didn't like The Descent at all.

I didn't find it effective in the least, the monsters were daft and some of the dialogue really wound me up (eg "THIS IZ NOT GOOD GUYZ!!!!!!!1")

I know a lot of people really liked it, but personally - it did nothing for me at all.

TALL DUDE 6th October 2008 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halloween_22 (Post 15040)
Cheers for the info on Play.com. Just stopped by and picked up Sleepaway Camp trilogy, Trauma, Ghosts of Edendale, The Exterminator, The Crazies, CHUD 2: Bud the Chud, Razorback, Children shouldn't play with dead Things and Mother of Tears. The whole lot for 30 quid :cool:

Be warned hal,ghosts of edendale is very hard going.Bought it in the play sale too,and finally got through it after falling asleep 4 times.Sheesh!

Was in the town with the kids yesterday and picked up duel,from woolies for 3 quid.Been years since i seen this.
Also got jackie brown and across 110th street from oxfam for 3 quid each.:)

Halloween_22 6th October 2008 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TALL DUDE (Post 15215)
Be warned hal,ghosts of edendale is very hard going.Bought it in the play sale too,and finally got through it after falling asleep 4 times.Sheesh!

Cheers for the warning Tall Dude. At least it only cost 2.99, I was going to pay full whack for it a while back but went with something else instead, glad I waited :p

cloud 7th October 2008 02:37 PM

I bought THE EXORCIST ANTHOLOGY set from Cash Generator today for a fiver. I thought I had walked away with a bargain but on the bus home I checked the set and it was missing the first Exorcist movie :(. I'm not sure what to do now, I mean I still have the other 4 for a pittance but it looks stupid without the 5th disc in.

Paul@TheOverlook 7th October 2008 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cloud (Post 15308)
I bought THE EXORCIST ANTHOLOGY set from Cash Generator today for a fiver. I thought I had walked away with a bargain but on the bus home I checked the set and it was missing the first Exorcist movie :(. I'm not sure what to do now, I mean I still have the other 4 for a pittance but it looks stupid without the 5th disc in.

Buy the first film off of amazon market place and put the disc in your set. ;)

There's a secondhand copy, in 'Very Good ' condition for 1.93+1.24 P&P. Not ideal, but you'd have bought all five films for just over 8 quid.

cloud 7th October 2008 05:19 PM

Thanks for the suggestion but then I'll have an empty case and I hate throwing things away, it feels like a waste.

I might go back and ask if they have a spare anywhere, maybe the error was on their part? It's a long shot but surely worth a try? Cash Generator is always so hit or miss.

TALL DUDE 7th October 2008 05:32 PM

I was in the newly opened cash converters in stirling on saturday with the kids,and upon choosing two cds i took them to the counter. The bloke said that only one of em was showing on the system,so i got the other one for nowt,mind you,it was slades greatest hits.:cool:

In the town with the old dear today,and popped into zavvi (mainly just to annoy me mum,as the music is always blaring and she's in her wheelchair.Yeah,bit of the sadist in me.) Ended up buying some movie called unearthed for a fiver. Summat to do with ancient demons being unleashed,and the blurb next to the certificate promises "strong,gory horror and violence." How could i resist?;)

Also house of blood(some olaf ittenbach movie i'd never heard of) and evil(greek zombie splatter movie) arrived through the post today. Yowza!:)

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 7th October 2008 08:13 PM

IT'S OFFICIAL-MANCS ARE MORE MISERABLE THAN SCOTCH!:jest:

cloud 7th October 2008 08:18 PM

You got me there, reaps! :rofl:

Anyone have a spare disc of The Exorcist they don't want?

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 7th October 2008 08:26 PM

Please give a disc a good home!-For a one off payment of four quid,you can make a miserly Manc a happy bunny for life.
We need your donation now!
CALL O8OO 69 69 69 and save a miser from suffering the pain and heartache of parting with a few quid.
YOU HAVE THE POWER TO MAKE THE DIFFERENCE!

Misers anon. is registered charity no.2323232322
(only 2p of each donation will go to the 'victim'-the rest will go to a greedy Scotch bastard.Please contact for full terms and conditions)
Calls charged at forty quid a minute.

cloud 7th October 2008 08:31 PM

What he just said :D.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 7th October 2008 08:36 PM

Seriously pally-I've got a spare Exorcist somewhere-I'll have a rummage and pop it in the post-

SCOTCH CORNER PRICE LIST
1ST CLASS 72P
2ND CLASS 48P
JIFFY BAG 1.20
EXTRA BUBBLE WRAP 15P EXTRA-Well worth protecting your disc in transit.
KITCHEN ROLL 8P PER SHEET

RECORDED DELIVERY-TOO DEAR TO THE MIDLANDS-NOT AVAILABLE.:jest:

mark meakin 8th October 2008 08:00 AM

Err changing the subject.I saw All The Boys Love Mandy Lane but I certainly can't recommend it.I found it boring & totally predictable.:(

TALL DUDE 8th October 2008 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark meakin (Post 15354)
Err changing the subject.I saw All The Boys Love Mandy Lane but I certainly can't recommend it.I found it boring & totally predictable.:(

Same here mate.Saw it at the flicks and found it very dull,with a laughable ending.

Another trawl to the shops today with my old dear,and once again ended up spending money i can ill afford,its all me mums fault.
Bought rec,the deaths of ian stone and fido in a zavvi three for twenty quid deal.
Also got the first transatlantic cd(prog rock) for a measely ?3. Bargain.

Oh,and legion of the dead and rise of the dead arrived through the post from amazon today. BLOODY HELL!!!:D

TALL DUDE 8th October 2008 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reaper72 (Post 15348)
Seriously pally-I've got a spare Exorcist somewhere-I'll have a rummage and pop it in the post-

SCOTCH CORNER PRICE LIST
1ST CLASS 72P
2ND CLASS 48P
JIFFY BAG 1.20
EXTRA BUBBLE WRAP 15P EXTRA-Well worth protecting your disc in transit.
KITCHEN ROLL 8P PER SHEET

RECORDED DELIVERY-TOO DEAR TO THE MIDLANDS-NOT AVAILABLE.:jest:

Just like that kitchen roll, you and cloud are creasing me up!!:rofl:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 8th October 2008 05:00 PM

Way of the Dragon with Bruce Lee-first time I'd seen it-well worth it!
For anyone who's only seen the Vipco version of SHOGUN ASSASSIN,I suugest you seek out the AWE version-it's like bloody night and day!

Halloween_22 8th October 2008 07:03 PM

Some of my play.com titles arrived in the post today. Sleepaway Camp Boxset, Exterminator, CHUD 2, Mother of Tears, Trauma and Ghosts of Edendale.
Hopefully the others should be along shortly. Cant wait to watch Exterminator, I got the Intervision pre-cert vhs off ebay a while back but the bloody tapes knackered :rolleyes: I'll be interested to see Mother of Tears aswell, heard mixed things about it.

TALL DUDE 8th October 2008 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halloween_22 (Post 15404)
Some of my play.com titles arrived in the post today. Sleepaway Camp Boxset, Exterminator, CHUD 2, Mother of Tears, Trauma and Ghosts of Edendale.
Hopefully the others should be along shortly. Cant wait to watch Exterminator, I got the Intervision pre-cert vhs off ebay a while back but the bloody tapes knackered :rolleyes: I'll be interested to see Mother of Tears aswell, heard mixed things about it.

Mother of tears is a bit ropey,but not half as bad as some were making it out to be.
It has argento's trademark violence,tempered with some pretty poor acting.
Let us know what you think of it.

Chud 2,i aint seen in years,mainly because as a sequel to the brilliant original,it sucked bigtime,and was about as funny as a dose of herpes.
Again,let me know what you think of it.If you aint got the original,you could do a lot worse than pick up the anchor bay r1,which has a different ending from the old medusa vhs(the ending to this,featuring a young john goodman is roughly two thirds in to the ab release. Strange.)

Exterminator is class. Ghosts of edendale is sov,which detracts a whole lot from the feel of the film.

Apart from that,enjoy your flicks hal.:D;)

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 8th October 2008 07:38 PM

La Tezra Madre is great mindless fun Hal....
THE EXTERMINATOR is a classic......If you're lying,I'll be back......:cool:

cloud 8th October 2008 09:25 PM

You should have gone for the R1 version of MoT for an extra couple of quid, it has extras. Us miserable Mancs want the complete package ;).

Halloween_22 8th October 2008 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TALL DUDE (Post 15410)
Chud 2,i aint seen in years,mainly because as a sequel to the brilliant original,it sucked bigtime,and was about as funny as a dose of herpes.
Again,let me know what you think of it.If you aint got the original,you could do a lot worse than pick up the anchor bay r1,which has a different ending from the old medusa vhs(the ending to this,featuring a young john goodman is roughly two thirds in to the ab release. Strange.)

Exterminator is class. Ghosts of edendale is sov,which detracts a whole lot from the feel of the film.

Apart from that,enjoy your flicks hal.:D;)

Cheers mate ;) Not in the mood for MOT tonight so I'm thinking of giving CHUD 2 a bash. I'll let you know what I reckon tomorrow. Think I might have to pick up that AB CHUD on R1 you mentioned aswell as I currently only own the Medusa VHS (still haven't got round to upgrading a good chunk of my videos yet :blush:). Too busy buying other stuff, I'm sure I'll get round to it one of these days.

Halloween_22 8th October 2008 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reaper72 (Post 15411)
La Tezra Madre is great mindless fun Hal....
THE EXTERMINATOR is a classic......If you're lying,I'll be back......:cool:

Cool. Been looking forward to seeing Exterminator for ages, was so gutted when my video of it arrived and didn't work. Got Exterminator 2 on video aswell but I've been holding out on watching it until I got another copy of the first one.

I love the follow up tagline aswell.... He knew you were lying :p

vincenzo 8th October 2008 10:40 PM

The Exterminator was another film that had many a BBFC problem. Cut for cinema, then cut further (and MUCH heavier) for video, partly restored for the Synergy DVD in 2000 (similar cuts as the cinema version but restoring the stabbing of Steve James), and then finally passed uncut for the Optimum DVD.

The cinema/video of Exterminator 2 was also heavily cut. Alas it hasn't been re-released here since but it wouldn't pose any censor problems now.

TALL DUDE 9th October 2008 04:45 PM

The beheading scene was pretty nasty,as its done in slo mo. Yeuch!

After my scourge on the falkirk branch of poundland,i popped into hmv,and ended up spending more money i aint got.Bloody hell,its an addiction right enough.
Anyways got rottweiler for six quid,snoop doggs hood of horror for a fiver,the chair for six quid and the shameless release of flavia the heretic for seven quid. All the other shameless titles in the horror section were all 13 nicker.

Had a halloween horror section too,nightmare on elm street five for 2 quid.I was almost tempted,but then i remembered how shite the film was.:D

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 9th October 2008 05:06 PM

Recieved THE SATANIC RITES OF DRACULA from Australia today-looking forward to it again.....:)

mark meakin 9th October 2008 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reaper72 (Post 15458)
Recieved THE SATANIC RITES OF DRACULA from Australia today-looking forward to it again.....:)

I'll be very interested to know what the quality is like mate compared to the OOP Anchor Bay disc I have.Is it fullscreen or in its correct aspect ratio ?.There is an Italian release available online from DVD.IT (dvd Italia) but I've no idea what it's like.I regard SROD as one of the best in the series despite many thinking the opposite especially genre critics.It was actually the first Chris Lee Dracula I ever saw one saturday night on a BBC 2 double bill.

mark meakin 9th October 2008 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TALL DUDE (Post 15456)
Anyways got rottweiler for six quid,snoop doggs hood of horror for a fiver,the chair for six quid and the shameless release of flavia the heretic for seven quid. :D

I'll probably pick up Flavia & Torso tomorrow in Derby.I saw Brian Yuzna's Rottweiler on Zone Horror & thought it was one of his worst films sadly:(.I like the look of Hood Of Horror as I'm a sucker for anthology films.I don't know if you've seen the OOP r1 disc of Tales From The Hood but that was pretty entertaining .

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 9th October 2008 05:18 PM

You're a lucky person having that dvd Mark-I've just opened it to find that it's identiclal to that bloody cheap fullscreen U.S. disc!:mad:
Check out www.ezydvd.com for the artwork shown Mark-I'm sure you'll agree,even in fullscreen that the beautiful artwork shown is irresistable.....:headbang:

TALL DUDE 9th October 2008 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark meakin (Post 15460)
I'll probably pick up Flavia & Torso tomorrow in Derby.I saw Brian Yuzna's Rottweiler on Zone Horror & thought it was one of his worst films sadly:(.I like the look of Hood Of Horror as I'm a sucker for anthology films.I don't know if you've seen the OOP r1 disc of Tales From The Hood but that was pretty entertaining .

Yeah mark, i have tales from the hood,great little film,with a suitably nasty turn from wings hauser as a racist cop.

Rottweiler that bad? I have a film in the to watch pile called vicious,which sounds pretty similar to rottweiler,and it stars tom savini,so cant be all bad,hopefully!:)

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 9th October 2008 06:39 PM

I also bought this dude from HMV last week..let's hope it's okay....:eek:

mark meakin 9th October 2008 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TALL DUDE (Post 15468)
Yeah mark, i have tales from the hood,great little film,with a suitably nasty turn from wings hauser as a racist cop.

Rottweiler that bad? I have a film in the to watch pile called vicious,which sounds pretty similar to rottweiler,and it stars tom savini,so cant be all bad,hopefully!:)

I have a soft spot for canine horrors including the Robert Clouse film The Pack (1977),Dogs (1976) & Rottweiler Dogs/Hounds (?) Of Hell (Thorn EMI)but I'm afraid Yuzna's film was hugely disappointing.Never mind .you may think differently

mark meakin 9th October 2008 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reaper72 (Post 15461)
You're a lucky person having that dvd Mark-I've just opened it to find that it's identiclal to that bloody cheap fullscreen U.S. disc!:mad:
Check out www.ezydvd.com for the artwork shown Mark-I'm sure you'll agree,even in fullscreen that the beautiful artwork shown is irresistable.....:headbang:

Shame that mate.I've seen the artwork to the aussie & italian discs.That's in fullscreen too,so sadly for all its flaws the AB disc is probably the definitive release to date.Here's hoping any rights issues will be resolved and somebody like Optimum can release it in the UK.I'm sure if Warner still had the rights they would've released it at the same time as the vastly inferior Dracula AD 1972 disc?

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 9th October 2008 06:50 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Yeah,Studio Canal/optimum probably do hold the rights.I'm now the proud owner of three of these.....:(
Have you ever heard of no.3 mate?:confused:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 9th October 2008 06:55 PM

It's listed aspect ratio is 1.85.1 and is a 2 disc set-however,I don't hold much hope when the 2nd disc is music 'inspired by the SATANIC RITES OF DRACULA' :rofl:

Mojo 9th October 2008 07:32 PM

Some cool covers there, reaper. And speaking of Hammer...

Scream Of Fear
Part of the Icons Of Horror, this is probabaly the gem of the set. Excellent b&w chiller, with some great performances and shocks. I've waited a long time to see this one and I wasn't disappointed. Excellent pq, by the way.

And not talking of Hammer...

The Devil's Men
Peter Cushing And Donald Pleasance get mixed up in Satanic shennanegins in this strange 70's occult flick. This seems to get a bit of a mauling from reviewers, but I quite enjoyed it, even though it doesn't really make any sense :D This UK release from DD is the full uncut version.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 9th October 2008 08:12 PM

Yeah I'm glad I got all the DD releases when they were out-they're all oop now,aren't they?

Mojo 9th October 2008 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reaper72 (Post 15496)
Yeah I'm glad I got all the DD releases when they were out-they're all oop now,aren't they?

Seem to be, mate.

It's a real shame the company was bought over and it all went tits up - they released some cracking stuff. I have a good few of their releases but still have some more to get ( Play and Amazon have some in stock ).

Really glad I picked up The Creeping Flesh when it was first released, as it doesn't seem to be available anywhere now.

Sam 10th October 2008 10:19 PM

I've just ordered Crazies, Hatchet for the Honeymoon and Children Shouldn't Play with Dead Things, all ?2.99 in the play.com sale! I was also looking at The Collingswood Story at the same price but I've heard mixed reviews on this one - anyone seen it?