Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Demdike@Cult Labs 13th March 2022 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 668212)
:thankingyou: good sir, just in the process of buying Dracula Has Risen from The grave and Taste the blood of Dracula.

On Blu-ray?

Taste is obviously available on a WB UK disc but which version of Risen are you getting?

MrBarlow 13th March 2022 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 668213)
On Blu-ray?

Taste is obviously available on a WB UK disc but which version of Risen are you getting?

Not on Blu-ray through the Google T.V.

Demdike@Cult Labs 13th March 2022 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 668214)
Not on Blu-ray through the Google T.V.

Oh right. That doesn't count.

Taste is only £7.99 on Amazon and is in the two for £13 offer if you wanted the Blu. It looks great.

MrBarlow 13th March 2022 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 668215)
Oh right. That doesn't count.

Taste is only £7.99 on Amazon and is in the two for £13 offer if you wanted the Blu. It looks great.

It does count for me when the Mrs doesn't know you are buying them :lol:

Demdike@Cult Labs 13th March 2022 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 668216)
It does count for me when the Mrs doesn't you you are buying them :lol:

I'm sure that makes sense to you. :lol:

MrBarlow 13th March 2022 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 668217)
I'm sure that makes sense to you. :lol:

Bloody auto correct. :lol:

iank 13th March 2022 08:01 PM

Cuba. A British soldier turned mercenary arrives in Cuba at the time of the Communist revolution to help the ailing government, and rekindles an old flame. This late 70s drama has a fabulous cast - Sean Connery, Brooke Adams, the great Denholm Elliot, Roger Lloyd-Pack, and Chris Sarandon to name a few - and is consistently entertaining and watchable, never getting boring, yet never really catches fire either. It was alright.

MrBarlow 13th March 2022 09:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Serpent And The Rainbow. 1988.

Anthropologist Dr. Dennis Alan travels to Haiti to discover a rumour that a new drug is being used in black magic that can bring back the dead.

Wes Craven brings us a new type of a zombie film that doesn't have the rotting flesh and brain craving ones we know and love, this was intriguing on how it would go with story of using Voodoo as a source and hallucinogenics and the effects of it as we see Bill Pullman under the influence of it.

Set in Haiti where a lot of people believe Voodoo is still practiced although not to the extent of sacrificing animals, there was problems during production, with Craven he was able to bring a chill factor imagination, it may not be on the edge of your seat, but does have a great background score that blends in well with the atmosphere of the story, another film I wasn't daft on after seeing it the first time but certainly more enjoyable now.

Attachment 239440

Demoncrat 13th March 2022 11:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Savage Harbour (1987)

Frank Stallone and Chris Mitchum take on some naughty types in this third tier actioner. The stilted dialogue and shoddy set pieces aside, it's the absolute lack of charisma shown by the lead that makes this a total blast in that hideously perverse way that I have :lol::rolleyes::rolleyes:
I can't wait to watch it again. :nod::hail:

J Harker 14th March 2022 08:35 AM

Settled down to a good old British crime film last night. Robbery with Stanley Baker from director Peter Yates. Baker puts together a team of pros to attempt pulling off a train robbery.
Around the 30 minute mark I decided it would likely be a one watch before a destiny on the shelves of CEX. 45 minutes in it went off. Just so dull, I simply didn't care about anyone or whether they pulled off the job or not. For a film with a decent rep and plenty of talent involved it was rubbish.

Demdike@Cult Labs 14th March 2022 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 668228)
Settled down to a good old British crime film last night. Robbery with Stanley Baker from director Peter Yates. Baker puts together a team of pros to attempt pulling off a train robbery.
Around the 30 minute mark I decided it would likely be a one watch before a destiny on the shelves of CEX. 45 minutes in it went off. Just so dull, I simply didn't care about anyone or whether they pulled off the job or not. For a film with a decent rep and plenty of talent involved it was rubbish.

Personally i really like Robbery.

J Harker 14th March 2022 05:29 PM

I just didn't get on with it at all. Fortunately I can get a five quid voucher at CEX for it. Which is more than I think I paid.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk

Demdike@Cult Labs 14th March 2022 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 668246)
I just didn't get on with it at all. Fortunately I can get a five quid voucher at CEX for it. Which is more than I think I paid.

Must admit i was surprised you didn't enjoy it.

I guess we can't like everything.

J Harker 14th March 2022 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 668249)
Must admit i was surprised you didn't enjoy it.

I guess we can't like everything.

If memory serves it was bought off the back of your recommendation so I was surprised how dull I found it

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk

MrBarlow 14th March 2022 07:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Dracula Has Risen From The Grave. 1968.

A year has passed since Dracula was defeated and sent to a watery grave, a Monsignor has traveled to Keinenberg to exorcise Castle Dracula with the local minister who accidentally resurrects Dracula and seeks revenge.

The third Dracula film to star Christopher Lee, and does have a small piece of dialogue and delivers it with a great menacing voice and creepy facial expressions with his red blood shocked eyes.

Rupert Davies plays the Monsignor who attempts to banish the evil away from the small village only for local minister Ewan Hooper to mess it up and become a servant of the count. Barry Andrews (who would go on to star in Blood On Satan's Claw) plays the young tavern worker and atheist, not the best thing to say to the Monsignor is roped in to take on Dracula with a little bit of help and knowledge and rescue his love interest Veronica Carlson (R.I.P).

It does start off well from a body being found in a church and why people by pass Sunday service then jumps to a year later. This has the hallmarks of Hammer from a great storyline, dark night atmosphere, brilliant cinematography even with a rooftop chase and a nice Gothic style back ground score and a great ending of everyone being able to find religion.

Attachment 239445

Demdike@Cult Labs 14th March 2022 08:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Black Water: Abyss (2020)

A group of twenty something pot holers are trapped in a cave by rising floodwaters only to find they are not alone. There's a large crocodile in the waters with them.

A film with some great moments of suspense and nail biting tension as well as some half decent characterisation, however at times i was wondering what exactly could be done with essentially five people sat on a single cave ledge with a croc swimming in the water below as we seemed to play out similar scenarios time after time, although the final ten minutes as the survivors reach the surface does bring a couple of shock surprises.

A major plus point was the fact that not once did the friends torches or head cams go out meaning thankfully that total darkness was never an issue here which was a relief.

As it is this Australian film definitely passed the time and i was never bored but i'm not sure i'd watch it again.

MrBarlow 14th March 2022 11:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Taste The Blood Of Dracula. 1970.

Three respectable Englishmen resurrect the Count with the help of a disciple, when his disciple is killed, Count Dracula seeks revenge.

I'm unsure how long after the events of the previous film this one is set, it does start where Taste The Blood Of Dracula finishes and we are introduced to a peddler named Weller played by Roy Kinnear who witnessed the demise of Dracula and gathers his cloak, clasp, ring and Blood.

Geoffrey Keen (James Bond franchise), Peter Sallis (Last of the Summer Wine), and John Carson (Plague of Zombies and Captain Cronos) play the rich gentlemen who look for excitement and come across Lord Courtley played brilliantly by Ralph Bates (Fear in The Night) to perform a black mass and that's when all hell breaks loose.

Even though Roy Kinnear doesn't have a big part, he is able to deliver his dialogue with great fear explaining what Courtley wants and who it belongs to and what it may be used for. The church used does have the dark Gothic feel with great cinematography and moody light, even outside in the dark you can feel the gloomy atmosphere. Christopher Lee seems more frightening in this one than the previous films and good effects for when his blood meets fresh blood in a glass. May not be my favourite in the franchise due to the ending but still entertaining.

Attachment 239448

Demoncrat 15th March 2022 07:31 AM

Dead End City (1988, Peter Yuval)

In a time when society is crumbling, one man stands up against the tide in order to protect his heritage. Against Robert Z'Dar mainly :nod:
Teaming up with a sassy reporter, our man of the moment doesn't mince his words, just his opponents :lol:
To be fair, this is third tier central, the tropes and what have you are all in place, but the lead seems more suited to a soap (Colbys????) than the rough and tumble of this genre. For all that, I enjoyed this one. :nod::pop2:

Mojo 15th March 2022 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 668259)
Dracula Has Risen From The Grave. 1968.

A year has passed since Dracula was defeated and sent to a watery grave, a Monsignor has traveled to Keinenberg to exorcise Castle Dracula with the local minister who accidentally resurrects Dracula and seeks revenge.

The third Dracula film to star Christopher Lee, and does have a small piece of dialogue and delivers it with a great menacing voice and creepy facial expressions with his red blood shocked eyes.

Rupert Davies plays the Monsignor who attempts to banish the evil away from the small village only for local minister Ewan Hooper to mess it up and become a servant of the count. Barry Andrews (who would go on to star in Blood On Satan's Claw) plays the young tavern worker and atheist, not the best thing to say to the Monsignor is roped in to take on Dracula with a little bit of help and knowledge and rescue his love interest Veronica Carlson (R.I.P).

It does start off well from a body being found in a church and why people by pass Sunday service then jumps to a year later. This has the hallmarks of Hammer from a great storyline, dark night atmosphere, brilliant cinematography even with a rooftop chase and a nice Gothic style back ground score and a great ending of everyone being able to find religion.

Attachment 239445

One of my favourite Hammer Dracula’s :nod:

Demdike@Cult Labs 15th March 2022 04:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Dracula A.D. 1972 (1972)

In the latest Empire magazine former Doctor Who star Peter Capaldi talks about his love of Hammer Films.

"I would have liked Dracula A.D.1972 (on my wall as a poster) which is my favourite. It's so misjudged in so many ways. It's so brilliant. They try to evoke 70's glam culture in a Tommy Steele kinda way. However it must be said that Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing do the business. When i left Doctor Who, Mark Gatiss bought me the film soundtrack on vinyl"

And that was all it took to make me watch a classic Hammer film again. A film i only watched back in October, because like Peter, i love Dracula A.D. 1972.

MrBarlow 15th March 2022 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 668296)
Dracula A.D. 1972 (1972)

In the latest Empire magazine former Doctor Who star Peter Capaldi talks about his love of Hammer Films.

"I would have liked Dracula A.D.1972 (on my wall as a poster) which is my favourite. It's so misjudged in so many ways. It's so brilliant. They try to evoke 70's glam culture in a Tommy Steele kinda way. However it must be said that Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing do the business. When i left Doctor Who, Mark Gatiss bought me the film soundtrack on vinyl"

And that was all it took to make me watch a classic Hammer film again. A film i only watched back in October, because like Peter, i love Dracula A.D. 1972.

This is on my watchlist for tonight and Satanic Rites once I have watch Scars of Dracula.

Demdike@Cult Labs 15th March 2022 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 668298)
This is on my watchlist for tonight and Satanic Rites once I have watch Scars of Dracula.

The Premium Collection Blu's of the films are rather lovely.

Demdike@Cult Labs 15th March 2022 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 668275)
Taste The Blood Of Dracula. 1970.

Three respectable Englishmen resurrect the Count with the help of a disciple, when his disciple is killed, Count Dracula seeks revenge.

I'm unsure how long after the events of the previous film this one is set, it does start where Taste The Blood Of Dracula finishes and we are introduced to a peddler named Weller played by Roy Kinnear who witnessed the demise of Dracula and gathers his cloak, clasp, ring and Blood.

Geoffrey Keen (James Bond franchise), Peter Sallis (Last of the Summer Wine), and John Carson (Plague of Zombies and Captain Cronos) play the rich gentlemen who look for excitement and come across Lord Courtley played brilliantly by Ralph Bates (Fear in The Night) to perform a black mass and that's when all hell breaks loose.

Even though Roy Kinnear doesn't have a big part, he is able to deliver his dialogue with great fear explaining what Courtley wants and who it belongs to and what it may be used for. The church used does have the dark Gothic feel with great cinematography and moody light, even outside in the dark you can feel the gloomy atmosphere. Christopher Lee seems more frightening in this one than the previous films and good effects for when his blood meets fresh blood in a glass. May not be my favourite in the franchise due to the ending but still entertaining.

Attachment 239448

Along with (Horror of) Dracula (1958) this is my favourite Dracula film. Not just Hammer but of any Dracula film, vampire film in fact.

I love how it basically shows that distinguished Victorian gentlemen can be just as nasty and corrupt (If not more so) than a bloodsucking creature of the night. In fact i'd argue that Keen is the real monster in the film and not Dracula.

MrBarlow 15th March 2022 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 668299)
The Premium Collection Blu's of the films are rather lovely.

They certainly are, Satanic was one of those films that I never saw till they got released on Premium and was amazing just to see it with good picture quality and sound.

MrBarlow 15th March 2022 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 668300)
Along with (Horror of) Dracula (1958) this is my favourite Dracula film. Not just Hammer but of any Dracula film, vampire film in fact.

I love how it basically shows that distinguished Victorian gentlemen can be just as nasty and corrupt (If not more so) than a bloodsucking creature of the night. In fact i'd argue that Keen is the real monster in the film and not Dracula.

Keen seemed to be the lead man in "The Circle" and needed a good punch in the face, Sallis seemed a bit whimpish and John Carson is the man in the middle, yeah he towers over the other two.

MrBarlow 15th March 2022 06:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Scars Of Dracula. 1970.

A young man takes shelter in Castle Dracula only to fall victim, his brother goes in search of him which leads him to the last place he was close to.

Another one that can be a hit or a miss for me, Dennis Waterman plays the unlikely hero who goes in search of his brother and winds up at the castle of Dracula. Klove returns from Dracula Prince of Darkness this time played by Patrick Troughton who looks like a hobo, yet still does bring a sense of loyalty to his master.

Christopher Lee dons the fangs and cloak after being resurrected by a bat dripping blood over him and the evil and carnage begin again. Rpy Ward Baker takes over the directors chair and is carrying on the dark Gothic atmosphere around Castle Dracula. There was a disruption with Hammer founder and budget was cut which would explain the weird slow flying bat in the film, didn't stop Dracula being a bit more violent with stabbing someone.

This does a have good pace and Dracula being a bit more talkative in this one than the previous films or seems that way. There is the atmospheric background score does blend in well with this instalment of the Dracula movies and always have great cinematography.

Attachment 239456

MrBarlow 15th March 2022 08:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Dracula A.D. 1972.

In 1872, Professor Lawrence Van Helsing destroyed Dracula, a young disciple collects Dracula's ashes and ring. 100 years later the disciple wants to resurrect his master for revenge on Van Helsing bloodline.

The pre-credits sequence was a great set up, Van Helsing and Dracula having a battle on a carriage, Dracula dies then Lawrence dies knowing he has ended the evil that reigned in the area of London. Christopher Lee is more menacing than before, he does don the red contact lenses briefly, his introduction from being resurrected and how he delivers his lines gave me chills when I first saw this.

Give Peter Cushing respect for coming back to the franchise after the death of his wife and still able to pack a punch and be thrown about, playing a anthropologist isn't quite quick off the ball with this when hos granddaughter played by Stephanie Beacham mentions Johnny Alucard.

This does seem centred around young group of people performing a black mass in a old church which has the same Gothic dark atmosphere as Taste The Blood Of Dracula, nobody seems to over act or outshine anyone. The background score right at the start reminds us this is still a Hammer Horror and played out in parts of the film with a modern day score of 70s music.

Attachment 239458

MrBarlow 15th March 2022 10:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Satanic Rites Of Dracula. 1973.

Inspector Murray of Scotland Yard heading up a secret service operation surrounding a house and it's visitors, so they call in Lorimer Van Helsing for assistance.

Set in 1974, Michael Coles returns as the Inspector from the previous film looking for help which involves a cult in a somewhat present day doomsday annihilation with a plague and Peter Cushing with his granddaughter Jessica played by Joanna Lumley try to find the answers.

I'm not sure if I missed something in this, on the site of St Barphol church where Dracula was resurrected and died has a building etc, how did Dracula manage to come back? This did have some great acting from Peter Cushing and Freddie Jones, you can see the tension between them both in finding out what one is working on and the other trying to find the answer.

Was unsure about Joanna Lumley playing Jessica but she did manage to do a great part and slowly understanding what she went through and able to be a assistant to her grandfather. Christopher Lee marks the end of a era with the character and with Dracula and Van Helsing in the office had a great build up of suspense and tension. May not be the best film to end the Dracula saga but certainly enjoyable.

Attachment 239461

MrBarlow 15th March 2022 11:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I, Monster. 1971.

A doctor researching on a new drug tries it on himself and becomes a entirely different person/

Amicus version of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde with Christopher Lee as the eccentric psychologist who seems mild until he transforms into the evil persona and is able to bring a dark side to the screen. teamed with Peter Cushing as a associate and familiar with his work tries to help but there is only one way to stop the evil.

Although Cushing's role seems small he is able to bring a lot of strength with has character and acting and never outshines anyone. This may not be a classic tale of Jekyll and Hyde but it is very entertaining with the use of bright colours and dark with great cinematography, thanks again for this one Dem.

Attachment 239462

Demoncrat 15th March 2022 11:46 PM

Scream (2022)

Those eyebrows must look huge on the big screen.
Plus points ...
Best CGI fire I've seen yet.

Simultaneously the worst film of the decade and the best film I've seen this week :rolleyes::nono::behindsofa::pound:
Some familiar faces put a thing to rest ... ?
I will say I called it 10 minutes in (well ...)
Next!!!!:nod:

Demdike@Cult Labs 16th March 2022 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 668310)
I, Monster. 1971.

A doctor researching on a new drug tries it on himself and becomes a entirely different person/

Amicus version of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde with Christopher Lee as the eccentric psychologist who seems mild until he transforms into the evil persona and is able to bring a dark side to the screen. teamed with Peter Cushing as a associate and familiar with his work tries to help but there is only one way to stop the evil.

Although Cushing's role seems small he is able to bring a lot of strength with has character and acting and never outshines anyone. This may not be a classic tale of Jekyll and Hyde but it is very entertaining with the use of bright colours and dark with great cinematography, thanks again for this one Dem.

Glad you enjoyed it. :)

nosferatu42 16th March 2022 02:34 PM

I watched I Monster for the first time last year since seeing it on TV growing up. and I enjoyed it a lot more than I remembered.
It is actually one of the more faithful adaptations of the book.

MrBarlow 16th March 2022 02:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sweet Sixteen. 1983.

Young 15 year old Melissa arrives in a new town, yet some of the people she meets ends up being killed.

This is classed as a slasher horror, yet it appears to be a murder mystery who dunnit movie with less gore. Right from the start we are introduced to high tensions between the locals and native Americans with hostility between them and tensions mount up during the course of the film.

We are supposed to believe the actress playing the lead is 15 yet we do see her topless a few times but still a good debut in a film with Bo Hopkins playing the town Sheriff and Susan Strasberg. It may not be a brilliant entry into the slasher film genre like other films before it, it does have a good atmosphere, the pace does go strong and weak at times but certainly entertaining right to the ending.

Attachment 239465

MrBarlow 16th March 2022 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosferatu42 (Post 668328)
I watched I Monster for the first time last year since seeing it on TV growing up. and I enjoyed it a lot more than I remembered.
It is actually one of the more faithful adaptations of the book.

There was a good version that was made into a two part series back in 1989-1990 with Michael Caine, only ever saw that once yet remember it well.

MrBarlow 16th March 2022 06:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Exorcist III. 1990.

Lt. Kinderman investigating some murders leads him to a catatonic ward of a hospital and a patient.

After a so called sequel came out to the public, William Peter Blatty gave us a new story and film and is a better true sequel than the 1977 film that he wrote and directed himself.

Right at the start we see Kinderman and Father Dyer reflecting on the death of Father Damien Karras, opening shot of the famous stairs then a church doors bursting open and a statue of Jesus opening his eyes...eerie, then a POV movement along a street with a voice over.

Like the first film, Blatty puts in some comedy but as we think it's going to be one of those films, he turns it round to being a serious film. Even though there is murders happening we never see them happen only described and left to the viewers Imagination. Kinderman tells Dyer about the killings and sees the reaction on how a small boy was murdered to being almost teary eyed until Kinderman looks at the body of his friend and we see his reaction to almost tearing up and able to capture to different mood shoots of two people.

George C. Scott takes over the role that was played by Lee J. Cobb as Kinderman, who has different moods, happy, sad and angry in which we all see that we didn't in the first film. Ed Flanders plays Father Dyer that was played by Father William O' Malley, who carry on the friendship from the first film.

The mood and atmosphere changes halfway through with Patient X played by Jason Miller who then changes over to Brad Dourif who is able to deliver his lines perfectly and sinister at the same time about how he done his murders and what technique he used to drain the body of blood.

Nicol Williams plays Father morning in a small role, like Father Merrin we are told about having experience in performing exorcisms, towards the beginning of the exorcist scene we see the glowing eyes then Father Morning having a expression on his face like a badass. This does have great visual effects of blood and gore but never OTT. From the start of the film the tension is built up slowly and stays with it right through to the end.

Attachment 239466

Dave Boy 16th March 2022 08:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 239467
LOOKING FOR MR GOODBAR (1977)

Based on the true story murder of Roseann Quinn.
Diane Keaton plays the lead role of a school teacher who deals with deaf children. After an affair with a married man comes to end, she goes out at night cruising the bars and having one night stands with strangers.
When she starts to get in to the drug scene, her role at the school suffers as she oversleeps. Frightened of what might happen to her and her career if the police raided her flat, she flushes the last of the drugs down the toilet and goes out around the bars one last time. She meets a guy and takes him back to her flat...
Diane Keaton is great in this movie. Scenes of the bars with disco music, the nightlife with the sex cinemas all add to the atmosphere.
A powerful and disturbing movie, overlong but well worth the watch.

nosferatu42 16th March 2022 09:08 PM

Goodbar is so overlooked.:cool:

Demdike@Cult Labs 16th March 2022 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosferatu42 (Post 668353)
Goodbar is so overlooked.:cool:

It was by me. I'd never heard of it.

nosferatu42 16th March 2022 10:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It was once mentioned by Stephen King in Danse Macabre as one of his ****ed up films that ****ed him up, that's where i first learnt of it along with man with the x ray eyes I think, although i may just be a massive bullshit artist at this point.
There's a segment where he's describing films as a sort of test. Man I haven't read it in years but i'm pretty sure i didn't imagine it....

Attachment 239468

Demdike@Cult Labs 16th March 2022 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosferatu42 (Post 668362)
It was once mentioned by Stephen King in Danse Macabre as one of his ****ed up films that ****ed him up, that's where i first learnt of it along with man with the x ray eyes I think, although i may just be a massive bullshit artist at this point.
There's a segment where he's describing films as a sort of test. Man I haven't read it in years but i'm pretty sure i didn't imagine it....

I was about 20 when i read DM. Can't really remember a thing about it. Talking thirty years ago. :lol: