Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

antmumford 11th July 2012 08:52 PM

I watched them all back to back for the first time when the set came out on Blu and thought Resurrection was the most enjoyable. Alien is fantastic and undeniably a classic but I finished Resurrection with a huge smile on my face.

This reminds me, I still need to go through them again but this time watching the directors/special editions

sawyer6 11th July 2012 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antmumford (Post 256717)
I watched them all back to back for the first time when the set came out on Blu and thought Resurrection was the most enjoyable. Alien is fantastic and undeniably a classic but I finished Resurrection with a huge smile on my face.

This reminds me, I still need to go through them again but this time watching the directors/special editions

The special edition of alien 3 is very different fron the original version, but very good

Slippery Jack 11th July 2012 09:18 PM

I watched Death Bed last night - really enjoyed it! Loved the way the bonkers setup was told completely straight and matter-of-factly, and I never tired of that cool yellow dissolvey effect when the bed is eating stuff . . .

Make Them Die Slowly 11th July 2012 09:41 PM

Manson Girl

A comedy regarding the Manson Family which lacks laughs and acid fuzz freak out. However it looks rather fine and in a blurred long shot the Manson girls have the required big muffs to suit the time period the film is set in. Details like this are important to me…

Scream of the Banshee

A confusing mess that is only enlivened by the utter lack of logic or resemblance to standard story telling as it progresses. I presume every idea that the film makers had is on screen but some how amongst all the screaming and two bit set pieces, the story was forgotten. Very wonky but ultimately shit.

Insidious

Totally fun filled modern horror film with a great looking baddy. Imagine yourself in the Ghost House at the fair and you have a pretty good idea of what this film is like. I’m not sure why so many people say this is frightening, I sat grinning ear from ear throughout especially during the final third of the film. Highly recommended.

The Evil Dead.

It’s been years since I last saw this and it still packs a punch, though softened in my mind by the thought of the two sequels, which I dislike. My immediate thoughts on watching it this time were how inventive the camera work is; is this the one and only performance by Bruce Campbell where he’s not a gurning cartoon character and how vast in power the demons are ripping up trees and destroying bridges.

Star Wars 1-6

George Lucas bravely addresses the issue of absent fathers and how this affects the growing male psyche, offering two variations on the theme over six films showing both positive and negative role models.

Drive Angry

Bat shit mad Nic Cage film blasting rubber, bullets, blood and spunk all over the place. Hugely enjoyable fluff that has the lovely Amber Heard in it, not since first seeing Clare Grogan back in the 80s have I been so smitten.

VicDakin 11th July 2012 09:44 PM

mtds

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 256729)
Manson Girl

A comedy regarding the Manson Family which lacks laughs and acid fuzz freak out. However it looks rather fine and in a blurred long shot the Manson girls have the required big muffs to suit the time period the film is set in. Details like this are important to me…

Scream of the Banshee

A confusing mess that is only enlivened by the utter lack of logic or resemblance to standard story telling as it progresses. I presume every idea that the film makers had is on screen but some how amongst all the screaming and two bit set pieces, the story was forgotten. Very wonky but ultimately shit.

Insidious

Totally fun filled modern horror film with a great looking baddy. Imagine yourself in the Ghost House at the fair and you have a pretty good idea of what this film is like. I’m not sure why so many people say this is frightening, I sat grinning ear from ear throughout especially during the final third of the film. Highly recommended.

The Evil Dead.

It’s been years since I last saw this and it still packs a punch, though softened in my mind by the thought of the two sequels, which I dislike. My immediate thoughts on watching it this time were how inventive the camera work is; is this the one and only performance by Bruce Campbell where he’s not a gurning cartoon character and how vast in power the demons are ripping up trees and destroying bridges.

Star Wars 1-6

George Lucas bravely addresses the issue of absent fathers and how this affects the growing male psyche, offering two variations on the theme over six films showing both positive and negative role models.

Drive Angry

Bat shit mad Nic Cage film blasting rubber, bullets, blood and spunk all over the place. Hugely enjoyable fluff that has the lovely Amber Heard in it, not since first seeing Clare Grogan back in the 80s have I been so smitten.

This aint the real MTDS there aint no hairy witches mentioned

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 11th July 2012 09:46 PM

I didn't like Drive Angry much, but agree with you in regards to Amber Heard.

Quote:

Originally Posted by VicDakin (Post 256730)
This aint the real MTDS there aint no hairy witches mentioned

Manson muff was, though ;)

VicDakin 11th July 2012 09:48 PM

mmmm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 256731)
I didn't like Drive Angry much, but agree with you in regards to Amber Heard.

Manson muff was, though ;)

Yeah but real mtds would of mentioned banshee muff

Make Them Die Slowly 11th July 2012 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VicDakin (Post 256734)
Yeah but real mtds would of mentioned banshee muff

It's me but I've spent the last month or so, watching cheap shite from supermarkets and Danny Dyer films, it feels oddly subversive and liberating. Danny Dyer is the new God in our house and to paraphrase "The Football Factory"...Only a si c*nt, soggy bollocks c*nt who was mugging me off would disagree. c*nt:tongue1:

VicDakin 11th July 2012 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 256736)
It's me but I've spent the last month or so, watching cheap shite from supermarkets and Danny Dyer films, it feels oddly subversive and liberating. Danny Dyer is the new God in our house and to paraphrase "The Football Factory"...Only a si c*nt, soggy bollocks c*nt who was mugging me off would disagree. c*nt:tongue1:

I take it all back,it is MTDS only he'd be that depraved to mention Mr Dyer

Make Them Die Slowly 11th July 2012 10:45 PM

Wrong Turn 3.

Bloody hell, loads of British actors pretend to be American whilst running around in a wood somewhere in Europe as one spindly mutant hillbilly kills them off. Not good.