Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

pedromonkey 15th September 2011 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by platostotal (Post 181337)
I hear ya, I'm probably still in Afterglow, just don't remember it being as good as what I saw, and holy s**t that's what they mean by a good transfer. It might not be perfect but I bet I won't see a better film this year.

it's my fave Hitchcock film closely followed by The Birds, Cary Grant is brilliant as is Eva Marie Saint and James Mason, the finale on Mount Rushmore is out of this world and Grant's delivery of the dialogue is second to none, great Saul Bass opening credit's too.

Anywho watched these yesterday....

TALES FROM THE CRYPT PRESENT: DEMON KNIGHT:- really fun horror comedy, not scary in the slightest but has a great comic turn from Billy Zane and a good performance from William Sadler. Good special FX make up too.

TALES FROM THE CRYPT PRESENT: BORDELLO OF BLOOD
:- Not as good as Demon Knight but fun none the less with a sarcastic comic turn by Dennis Miller, nice legs on Erika Eleniak, nice boobs on Angie Everheart and Cory Feldman as a vampire makes for fun 90minutes.

BUNRAKU
: rather bizarre mixture of Japanese paper theatre, martial arts movie and film noir. Really good cast and some unbelievably good production design. Paper thin plot though. Josh Hartnett, Woody Harrelson, Demi Moore, Japanese rocker Gackt and Ron Perlman star. Won't be everyone's cup of tea but i enjoyed it.

Demdike@Cult Labs 15th September 2011 06:16 PM

I was fortunate to see North by Northwest at the UCI cinema in Preston several years ago. It was a fantastic experience.

An honour to see an absolute classic on the big screen.

Mojo 15th September 2011 07:41 PM

Ghost Story
Bizarre 1974 flick from Stephen Weeks. Not the greatest movie you'll ever see, but it has its moments. Plus it has a fabulous soundtrack. Great package from Nucleus.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 15th September 2011 08:20 PM

A Criterion Collection double bill:

The Night of the Hunter
An absolute masterpiece with an extremely menacing Robert Mitchum and stunning direction by Charles Laughton, making it all the more weird that this was his one and only film. Both the child actors are immense in this, acting with such maturity.

House
Completely barmy and, as the rear cover says, 'like an episode of Scooby Doo directed by Mario Bava'. It has everything and is such a bizarre mixture of fantastical comedy and horror it practically defies explanation.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 15th September 2011 08:28 PM

I'm still yet to pick up the Criterion BD of The Night of the Hunter.

It's near the top of a very long wishlist!

Make Them Die Slowly 15th September 2011 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 181423)
A Criterion Collection double bill:

The Night of the Hunter
An absolute masterpiece with an extremely menacing Robert Mitchum and stunning direction by Charles Laughton, making it all the more weird that this was his one and only film. Both the child actors are immense in this, acting with such maturity.

The book upon which the film is based is worth tracking down. I think it's by Davis Grubb, it's a long time since I read it but it impressed me as much as the film.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 15th September 2011 08:44 PM

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll add it to the growing list of books I haven't yet read!

platostotal 15th September 2011 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 181381)
I was fortunate to see North by Northwest at the UCI cinema in Preston several years ago. It was a fantastic experience.

An honour to see an absolute classic on the big screen.

Now that really does make me jealous:)

nekromantik 16th September 2011 12:21 AM

just watched Arrows Obsession blu :)

was a alright flick
not a huge fan of it thought but far from bad :)

pedromonkey 16th September 2011 01:11 AM

just watched TAXI 4, not as good as the previous three due it's lack of car chases but still a genuinely funny film with a great Scarface reference at the end.