Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

napalm-in-the-morning 16th October 2011 06:24 PM

Quatermass And The Pit

Anybody given the Blu Ray a go? I gather the picture quality is fairly stunning and wondered if anybody's viewed it yet?

sawyer6 16th October 2011 06:43 PM

Finally watched Inferno.The expectations were high and I wasn't disappointed at all.A scale below Suspiria but earns a lot of points on the fact that everything is unexpected in the movie,Argento really plays with the viewer and nothing ends the way it should end .Also, two thumbs up for the incredible architecture of the building:clap:

bdc 16th October 2011 07:03 PM

Watched De Palma's Phantom of the Paradise (1974) yesterday for the first time ever,does anybody know this is the reason why Jessica Harper ended up in Suspiria?
Did Argento go to see this one and was impressed?

I was to be honest... :)

Btw how did this get a PG rating?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2n5qVJEg3qA

Prince_Vajda 16th October 2011 08:30 PM

Friedrich Wilhelm Murnau's Der letzte Mann aka The Last Laugh.

Excellent silent drama from 1924. Jannings is mesmerising as the old bell boy who gets degraded to the lowest rank in a big hotel, just because of one second of relaxation. Highly impressive cinematography by Karl Freund, including POV- and dolly shots. One pre-title, and one inter-title - that's all the text you get in this real "silent" movie, but believe me: this impressive and compelling film needs no lines to win you over. :nod:

http://www.tagblatt.de/cms_media/mod...letztemann.jpg

The Eureka release from 2008 ("Masters of Cinema") is highly recommended. It contains a re-recording of the original score by Giuseppe Becce and has an excellent picture quality.

Greetings!

PS: Edgar G.Ulmer, the director of 1934's excellent The Black Cat, was assistant director! :)

sawyer6 16th October 2011 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda (Post 190518)
Friedrich Wilhelm Murnau's Der letzte Mann aka The Last Laugh.

Excellent silent drama from 1924. Jannings is mesmerising as the old bell boy who gets degraded to the lowest rank in a big hotel, just because of one second of relaxation. Highly impressive cinematography by Karl Freund, including POV- and dolly shots. One pre-title, and one inter-title - that's all the text you get in this real "silent" movie, but believe me: this impressive and compelling film needs no lines to win you over. :nod:

http://www.tagblatt.de/cms_media/mod...letztemann.jpg

The Eureka release from 2008 ("Masters of Cinema") is highly recommended. It contains a re-recording of the original score by Giuseppe Becce and has an excellent picture quality.

Greetings!

PS: Edgar G.Ulmer, the director of 1934's excellent The Black Cat, was the assistant director! :)

And considered the greatest silent film by many.Emil jannings is superb in it.A true masterpiece

Sam 16th October 2011 09:18 PM

Faccia a Faccia - amazing film and a great presentation from Eureka - this goes straight into my top 5 Spaghetti Westerns :nod:. Fantastic performances from Milian and Volonte and one of Morricone's better scores, coupled with an involving storyline, make this a winner in my opinion! Well recommended!

Demdike@Cult Labs 16th October 2011 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdc (Post 190498)
Watched De Palma's Phantom of the Paradise (1974) yesterday for the first time ever,does anybody know this is the reason why Jessica Harper ended up in Suspiria?
Did Argento go to see this one and was impressed?

I was to be honest... :)

Btw how did this get a PG rating?

Phantom Of The Paradise Trailer - YouTube

According to her interview in the latest Fangoria that is exactly what happened. Dario saw her in Phantom and was extremely impressed. She filmed Woody Allen's Love and Death first then made Suspiria.

pedromonkey 16th October 2011 09:54 PM

okay list of Films viewed this week if memory serves me correct....

Retreat: great mash up of Straw Dogs and Right At Your Door with a brilliant performance from Jamie Bell, Highly Recommended.

Full Metal Jacket: what is there to say about this that hasn't been said so many times before, just stunning.

Bride Of Chucky: Darkly comic horror made all the more better by Brad Dorif's delivery of the lines. Suffer's from mid to late 90s Final Destination FX unfortunately.

Jason Goes To Hell: Gory fun with Jason, much the same as previous entries but fun none the less.

Grease 2: wanted something cheesy to watch and decided on this as it was in front of me. Great Soundtrack and Michelle Pfieffer is Yum.

It's A Very Mery Muppet Christmas Movie: in preparation for the upcoming movie event of the Year, this muppet retelling of It's a Wonderful life is full of great one liners, Sight Gags and Cameos. I love the Muppets.

Demdike@Cult Labs 16th October 2011 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromonkey (Post 190536)
okay list of Films viewed this week if memory serves me correct....

Jason Goes To Hell: Gory fun with Jason, much the same as previous entries but fun none the less.

I wouldn't call Jason Goes to Hell "the same as previous entries" - for most of the film there isn't a Jason just a slug type creature that has a possession thing going on. The most unFriday film of them all.;):)

PaulRobinson 16th October 2011 10:06 PM

OK, just watched Salo (or the 120 Days of Sodom) and er...yeah...

What a demented, yet bewitching, film that is, I haven't quite digested (ew) it all properly yet!

Forest Gump sums it up best when he says "that's all I have to say about that"