Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

gag 27th July 2010 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bitchslicer (Post 94299)
thats statement doesn't make much sense to me, if that were true then films like the exorcist and texas chainsaw massacre wouldn't be classed as horror as both of these films disgusted a lot ppl when they were released

not sure what thats supposed to mean ? i like films like august underground, guinea pig and grotesque and i see myself as a very normal guy

Disgusted more of shocked audiences because they hadnt seen owt like that style of films b4 70s, it was a new eara of films, and films have gone more violent gory etc since then and have become acceptable to extend where in some cases u see it in a lot every day progs, where in 60 70 wouldnt have been acceptable, TCM 2me is done for the shock value and it worked thats part of why its my all time fav film, because in the film the gore violence etc is praticaly none exsistence, and if u can make a controversal film by that exact means then to me thats a good piece of film making

im not trying to offend any 1 so owt i say dont take personal just my opinion...it easier for me to explain in my head and give opinion 1 on 1 than trying to explain on a forum site lol, just films like the above have gone passed the boundry and making ppl feel uneasy, sick, disgusted, horrors are meant to be shocking, scary but also entertaining. if a hard core horror fan can complain there vile sick and twisted then surely that in some cases need questioning, but 1 must ask after guniea pig and grotesque whats going to be the next step because they are simply not entertainment in any way shape or form, and there is a handfull of films where more ppl complain about, rather than enjoy ive nvr seen slaughter vomit dolls but from the opinions of some ppl on some sites ive nvr hrd owt good just how gross and sick it is, so far that reason alone i dont want to watch it ,

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 27th July 2010 08:03 PM

Slaughtered Vomit Dolls was an interesting experience. Like doing acid while watching a peep show.

Watched tonight: The Cremator (1969) - Juraj Herz

"Kopfrkingel (Rudolf Hrusinsky) runs a successful crematorium. It's obvious something is amiss by how he regards his work; using Buddhist philosophy to wax lyrical about reincarnation, he considers death as an end to suffering and unhappiness and the afterlife one's transformation into something better. A man proud of his work, he boasts that he can burn a body to ashes in just 75 minutes. He gradually becomes swept along by the rise of Nazism, which is gaining a foothold in Czechoslovakia, which is about to be invaded prior to the outbreak of war. He considers Germany a huminitarian state with excellent laws on cremation. He obviously thinks he could perform his job more efficiently under the Germans; a horrifying thought. His seduction by Nazism takes on a shocking dimension, for his wife is half-Jewish, thus his children are one quarter Jewish, and believing Jews to be unhappy and in need of having their souls saved, he embarks on a gruesome means of doing so."

Dreamy, poetic, and a real treat to watch.

8/10

mbv 27th July 2010 08:09 PM

Think we'll need an August Underground thread:doh:...sorry if me putting my tuppence worth in has started to hijack this thread!!!

We are all entitled to our opinions and we all have sh*t cool taste in movies which is why we are all here.

Anyway, brought the kids to see Toy Story 3 today, didn't bother with 3d as I heard it was crap. Really enjoyed this and the tortilla potato head gave me the biggest laugh I've had in a cinema since Rob Zombies Halloween

gag 27th July 2010 08:12 PM

Just watched the 2005 remake of salems lot , i quite enjoyed it just as much as the original deffo one of the best remakes ive ever seen

pedromonkey 27th July 2010 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbv (Post 94345)

We are all entitled to our opinions and we all have sh*t cool taste in movies which is why we are all here.

That is such a 'Cartmanism'....made me chuckle.

as regards to the August Underground films, ive never seen them and they hold no interest for me and the way people are talking about them makes me want to avoid them even more.

gag 27th July 2010 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbv (Post 94345)
Think we'll need an August Underground thread:doh:...sorry if me putting my tuppence worth in has started to hijack this thread!!!

Anyway, brought the kids to see Toy Story 3 today, didn't bother with 3d as I heard it was crap. Really enjoyed this and the tortilla potato head gave me the biggest laugh I've had in a cinema since Rob Zombies Halloween

i fancy toy story 3 it meant to be realy good i like pixar films only 1 i wasnt to keen on was incredibles, wall-e was ok at 1st but as a whole thought it was a little overhyped, thoroughly enjoyed monster inc and finding nemo, my friend just lent me a disc of all the other shorts they done

mbv 27th July 2010 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 94359)
i fancy toy story 3 it meant to be realy good i like pixar films only 1 i wasnt to keen on was incredibles, wall-e was ok at 1st but as a whole thought it was a little overhyped, thoroughly enjoyed monster inc and finding nemo, my friend just lent me a disc of all the other shorts they done

Monsters Inc is my fave, the BD of this is unbelievable. The detail in Sully is stunning!!

DeadAlive 27th July 2010 10:12 PM

Toy Story 3
Pixar do it again. This near perfect third film in the series makes this one of the best trilogies I've ever seen. This has humour and drama in equal measures and packs quite an emotional punch by the end. I do hope they leave this lie now so the series can go out on a high. The big baby doll with the bonk eye freaked me out a bit though. I can only guess how the younger kids would take that character.

Demons
I saw this years ago and had fairly positive memories from what I could recall. Time has not been kind though and my memory is far from perfect. This may be action packed and full of gore but it still managed to bore me at times. Nowhere near as good as I remembered it with a few good set pieces only.

Massacre Time
From the title and director (Lucio Fulci) you could be forgiven for thinking this would be a horror gorefest. In actual fact this is a rather tame Spaghetti Western with a relatively high body count from the mid sixties featuring Franco Nero in a fairly subdued role. Fairly humourless and downbeat, but Django this is not.

Make Them Die Slowly 27th July 2010 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye (Post 94344)
Slaughtered Vomit Dolls was an interesting experience. Like doing acid while watching a peep show.

Watched tonight: The Cremator (1969) - Juraj Herz

"Kopfrkingel (Rudolf Hrusinsky) runs a successful crematorium. It's obvious something is amiss by how he regards his work; using Buddhist philosophy to wax lyrical about reincarnation, he considers death as an end to suffering and unhappiness and the afterlife one's transformation into something better. A man proud of his work, he boasts that he can burn a body to ashes in just 75 minutes. He gradually becomes swept along by the rise of Nazism, which is gaining a foothold in Czechoslovakia, which is about to be invaded prior to the outbreak of war. He considers Germany a huminitarian state with excellent laws on cremation. He obviously thinks he could perform his job more efficiently under the Germans; a horrifying thought. His seduction by Nazism takes on a shocking dimension, for his wife is half-Jewish, thus his children are one quarter Jewish, and believing Jews to be unhappy and in need of having their souls saved, he embarks on a gruesome means of doing so."

Dreamy, poetic, and a real treat to watch.

8/10

Loved both of those films BE.

I just watched "Monster A-Go Go". It should have been off the scale in greatness as both Bill Rebane and H.G. Lewis had a hand in making it, sadly it's very much a slow train to snoozeville. Still the music was excellent in a garage punk/surf style.

It is on a double bill from Something Weird with the mighty "Psyched By The 4-D Witch". My contender for best film I've seen this year so far.

Kyle 27th July 2010 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 94343)

im not trying to offend any 1 so owt i say dont take personal just my opinion...it easier for me to explain in my head and give opinion 1 on 1 than trying to explain on a forum site lol, just films like the above have gone passed the boundry and making ppl feel uneasy, sick, disgusted, horrors are meant to be shocking, scary but also entertaining. if a hard core horror fan can complain there vile sick and twisted then surely that in some cases need questioning, but 1 must ask after guniea pig and grotesque whats going to be the next step because they are simply not entertainment in any way shape or form, and there is a handfull of films where more ppl complain about, rather than enjoy ive nvr seen slaughter vomit dolls but from the opinions of some ppl on some sites ive nvr hrd owt good just how gross and sick it is, so far that reason alone i dont want to watch it ,

i sort of get what your trying to say but i do find them entertaining, like you said its just personal taste. for me i dont find any of the old horrors (50s-60s) to be entertaining at all, i just find them really dull. i like films that can bring out an emotion.

i think people have forgotten what the word horror stands for and these type of films are true horror in my opinion

horror: an overwhelming and painful feeling caused by something frightfully shocking, terrifying, or revolting.