Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

nekromantik 15th September 2011 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 181278)
The Silent House
A feature length horror set piece, with a needless ‘one take’ gimmick as the main selling point. While I thought the technique actually detracted from the tension in parts, it scared me more than anything I saw at Fright Fest (that’s not saying much though!). As a simple ghost train ride it works fine, and it had me squirming like a frightened child towards the end (superb scares with a camera flash!). But not a lot else to recommend besides the BOO! factor – might be a decent pick for Halloween viewing.

I thought it was pretty good and well made :)
although not brilliant by any means so cause of that I have yet to buy it.
Will prob grab the blu when its like £5 :lol:
was a cool cinema experience though.

Slippery Jack 15th September 2011 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nekromantik (Post 181280)
I thought it was pretty good and well made :)
although not brilliant by any means so cause of that I have yet to buy it.
Will prob grab the blu when its like £5 :lol:
was a cool cinema experience though.

I can imagine it would work a lot better in the cinema. I liked the second half (good ending!), but got a little bored of the real-time lamplit room searching - felt like I was playing a particularly uneventful computer game :pound: . . .

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 15th September 2011 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 181068)
Mother of Tears rocks.:rockon:

Easily Dario's best film since Opera.

In regards to post Opera Argento, I do (ever-so-slightly) prefer Sleepless to MoT, but I agree on it being a 'good' film.

It's certainly better than Stendhal, The Card Player, and Giallo, plus it doesn't deserve the sometimes harsh criticism it receives in my opinion!

nekromantik 15th September 2011 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 181285)
I can imagine it would work a lot better in the cinema. I liked the second half (good ending!), but got a little bored of the real-time lamplit room searching - felt like I was playing a particularly uneventful computer game :pound: . . .

:lol:
yeah that part of the flick did drag a bit.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 15th September 2011 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 181278)
The Silent House
A feature length horror set piece, with a needless ‘one take’ gimmick as the main selling point. While I thought the technique actually detracted from the tension in parts, it scared me more than anything I saw at Fright Fest (that’s not saying much though!). As a simple ghost train ride it works fine, and it had me squirming like a frightened child towards the end (superb scares with a camera flash!). But not a lot else to recommend besides the BOO! factor – might be a decent pick for Halloween viewing.

I thought The Silent House was a neat an extremely effective chiller with some almost unbearable tension and an incredibly well delivered jump at about the halfway point.

I reviewed it some time ago so, if you want, you can read it here:

The Silent House Blu-ray Review

Slippery Jack 15th September 2011 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 181309)
an incredibly well delivered jump at about the halfway point.

Which one was that? I think the camera flashes in the darkness scene was the scare highlight for me :eek: . . .

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 15th September 2011 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 181312)
Which one was that? I think the camera flashes in the darkness scene was the scare highlight for me :eek: . . .

I can't really say without spoiling it for those who haven't seen the film yet and I don't quite know how to describe it anyway!

Slippery Jack 15th September 2011 01:40 PM

Fair enough! I can't remember any other major scares though. Did like the creepy figure in the headlights though - those half-glimpsed figures at the back of the shot always creep me out :eek:

Regarding the one-take thing, I thought it was obvious at several points where the in-built edits were concealed. I think some sequences would've benifited from traditional editing. Some scenes were hampered slightly by odd movements to make way for the carefully hidden crew . . .

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 15th September 2011 01:52 PM

I'd probably need to see it again, but I seem to recall someone touching her on the shoulder along with an extremely loud aural stab, which was the main 'jump' as far as I'm concerned. As you say, the half glimpses and scene with the girl in the road were extremely effective and, though it has been used many times before and since, the scene with the Polaroid flashes was another where the amount of tension and atmosphere skyrocketed.

Slippery Jack 15th September 2011 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 181319)
I'd probably need to see it again, but I seem to recall someone touching her on the shoulder along with an extremely loud aural stab, which was the main 'jump' as far as I'm concerned.

Oh yes I remember!